My Tulip Poplars are under attack..help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I have 3 Tulip Poplar trees on my property. The largest is about 60ft. tall. They all seem to have Tulip Tree scale insects very thick up to about 1/2 way up. The insects are sucking out the sap at an incredible rate, and dripping it all over my cars and yard. I tried a Bayer insecticide applied at the roots intended to treat this scale a couple weeks ago, but I am not seeing any results.
    I don't have any way of applying anything as high as I would need to go safely to apply hort. oil. I understand that only works for the crawler stage of these insects which happens in August, usually, anyway? :dunno:
    Any suggestions what can be done now?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    The "Bayer Stuff" is more than likely imidacloprid, or Merit. It is a systemic insecticide that will work but it takes several weeks for it to translocate throughout a tree that tall. Merit is notorius for being slow to move. Medicap Acecap insecticide works very well for tulip scale and will translocate quicker in the tree. They are easy to install in the tree and you should be able to find them at a quality garden center. https://www.google.com/search?q=imi....,cf.osb&fp=89e88d5ec786cdc9&biw=1366&bih=673

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The "Bayer Stuff" is more than likely imidacloprid, or Merit. It is a systemic insecticide that will work but it takes several weeks for it to translocate throughout a tree that tall. Merit is notorius for being slow to move. Medicap Acecap insecticide works very well for tulip scale and will translocate quicker in the tree. They are easy to install in the tree and you should be able to find them at a quality garden center. https://www.google.com/search?q=imi....,cf.osb&fp=89e88d5ec786cdc9&biw=1366&bih=673
    Thanks for the tip.
    Yes, the Bayer insecticide is Imidacloprid.
    I had been looking for something to inject and had not seenMedicap Acecap. It seems logical that it would work faster by being more directly inserted into the tree.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The woods in SW Indiana are totally covered with the wet drippings off the Poplars.
    I've looked at some other Tulip Poplars in the area, and many, (not all) have the same scale insects, and the scales are dripping sap profusely. My trees have had small infestations before, but nothing this bad.
    I'm wondering if the mild winter exacerbated this, and if there is any really positive way to get completely rid of them, as there seems to be some disagreement about this.

Top Bottom