• Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Randall Mini Gambler
    Stainless
    Redwood pin burl handle

Currently, it's out getting some engraving on the hilt and butt cap.

IMG_3861_zpszu44pxdi.jpg

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I never really understood the appeal of the price/wait time for a Randall, but that one is SWEET! It looks stabby.

Most people don't get it. And that's cool. The price is because it's all hand forged out of a piece of steel. Just a small shop with the same guys that have been there forever just hammering steel into blade shapes. So, it's the labor. They don't have blade blanks lasered out and then just ground. That would save a lot of time.

The wait is because they refuse to hire anyone to grow the company larger. In the 90's the wait was 2 years. The wait changes but now it's about 5 years I think. Dealers that always order get everything in regularly and get to move to the top of the list. So, you can buy from dealers at the current year's pricing and get a blade within a few months normally, instead of years.

The knives are not really anything super special, just solid, traditionally-made knives. 0-1 tool steel or some sort of stainless (440 something) are your two steel options.

Some guys buy 10-15 $200 knives in their lifetime. I've found it cheaper to just buy 3 or 4 $400 knives and be done with it :)

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    :yesway:

By the way, I wasn't knocking Randall. I just didn't know the story behind how they're made. I really like that mini gambler design!

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    No prob. No offense taken on my part. I've knocked Randall and just about every other knife company at one time or another :).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Randall knives have always been cool, are cool, and always will be cool.

Especially for really old guys.

Heh.

Top Bottom