My LTCH was in my wallet when stolen. Can I still carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Ok I had my wallet stolen about a week ago which contained my LTCH. It's due to expire at the end of the year and instead of renewing the four year I was going to go ahead and get the lifetime permit. I really didn't want to have to pay the twenty bucks for a duplicate which I probably wouldn't get it for about three weeks anyways. My question is even since I'm still technically legal to carry do I have to have the little pink card on my person?

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You are supposed to have your card at all times when carrying. But it seems like a technicality, since they can just lookup your license based on your drivers license now, if you have your DL that is. So I would carry if necessary, so long as I had my DL. Worst case scenario, you go to jail until they verify you have a license, which could be preferable to being assaulted or murdered by a thug if you're not carrying.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Ok I had my wallet stolen about a week ago which contained my LTCH. It's due to expire at the end of the year and instead of renewing the four year I was going to go ahead and get the lifetime permit. I really didn't want to have to pay the twenty bucks for a duplicate which I probably wouldn't get it for about three weeks anyways. My question is even since I'm still technically legal to carry do I have to have the little pink card on my person?

If you're going to renew, with a lifetime LTCH, you should be able to start the process. I believe you can start the renewal process 180 days prior to the expiration date of the license. I do believe that you should have the little pink piece of paper on you. When you get your lifetime LTCH, go ahead and make some copies and then sign them (I didn't but I'm going to be requesting a duplicate when I move again so that I can have some copies around).

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    When I lost my wallet (thank god I found it) I spoke to a sheriff who said I was between a rock and a hard place and not to carry. But that's the one sheriff I talked to' s opinion.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You are supposed to have your card at all times when carrying. But it seems like a technicality, since they can just lookup your license based on your drivers license now, if you have your DL that is. So I would carry if necessary, so long as I had my DL. Worst case scenario, you go to jail until they verify you have a license, which could be preferable to being assaulted or murdered by a thug if you're not carrying.

The first sentance is technically incorrect, the law was reworded do that we do not have to carry it on our person any longer. This change was in July 2011.

When I lost my wallet (thank god I found it) I spoke to a sheriff who said I was between a rock and a hard place and not to carry. But that's the one sheriff I talked to' s opinion.

He is incorrect. Any LEO in the state can look up your LTCH status with your name, DOB and address.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    The first sentance is technically incorrect, the law was reworded do that we do not have to carry it on our person any longer. This change was in July 2011..

^ This.

And here is the relevant piece of IC that states this:

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.

Does not specify "carrying the LTCH on or about your person".. jsut that you are licensed.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

Another reason NOT to get the OPINION of a LEO! What did you expect him to say? "Go ahead and carry anywhere and everywhere you want and if anyone says something tell them I said it was OK?"

A good amount of them have NO IDEA what the actual law states and will take the easiest way out for them! If he would have said SURE YOU CAN and he was wrong what would you have done????

NOT COP BASHING! :D A large MAJORITY of the people licensed in this state to carry have no idea what the laws are concerning carrying and DON'T REALLY WANT TO BE BOTHERED WITH IT! And they'll be more that HAPPY TO GIVE YOU THEIR OPINION ALSO!

As shown here you also still get OPINIONS. When someone gives you a statement of law I recommend that you ALWAYS ASK FOR CODE! Including a LEO! :laugh:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    ^ This.

And here is the relevant piece of IC that states this:

Does not specify "carrying the LTCH on or about your person".. just that you are licensed.

You are right, it does not state you have to have your LTCH on you while carrying. It also does not state that you must have it on you. That is one of those gray areas that could turn into a bad situation. Yes, it's all up to interpretation. I know all to well how that goes. I would not suggest carrying without having your LTCH on you.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    You are right, it does not state you have to have your LTCH on you while carrying. It also does not state that you must have it on you. That is one of those gray areas that could turn into a bad situation. Yes, it's all up to interpretation. I know all to well how that goes. I would not suggest carrying without having your LTCH on you.

Prior to July IIRC, the IC stated that it was required to have the LTCH on your person to carry. The IC has been changed to reflect what I posted up above. My perception (which has been skewed sometimes LOL) is that they made it a bit more relaxed in case you forget it or lose it. Basically, IMO, if I'm driving, I better have my driver's license in my possession. If I'm carrying, I better make sure I have my LTCH in my possession. IC allows you to be licensed without the requirement to possess the same.

:twocents:

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Thanks for the replies. I decided to go ahead and get the ball rolling on the lifetime to be on the safe side. I also asked a trooper that lives in my neighborhood about what would happen if I was carrying and didnt have the "pink paper", he said as long as Im licensed and it can be verified by running my DL# or SS# and it pops up when ran, I should be ok. It however depends on the LEO and his/her interpretation of the law and if he/she is in a good mood that day. I think I'll take my chances until I get the new permit and keep carrying. Id rather spend the night in a jail until they figure out I'm legit than spend eternity in the ground because God forbid I wasnt carrying when I needed to be.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    That is why I make copies of mine. You can even find pink paper @ some suppliers.

Ok, I don't get this pink paper thing. Why does everyone seem to think that they have to copy the license on pink paper? Are you trying to fool someone (LEO) into thinking that it's a valid, state issued license? That there might be illegal....

Top Bottom