• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    I already know we are not a must inform state, but what about direct question from police about if you are carrying pistol or have gun in car?? I was always informed that if asked and you are carrying you did not have to answer yes, unless firearm was open carried/visible. I looked for info on sticky/fyi..... I was looking for Indiana Code related to this but have not found... Can anyone enlighten me?? Thanks.

short308

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    If you say no i don't have a firearm and the answer is really yes, I imagine its a crime. Never put much thought to it. I always inform, it will be in sight at some point during the stop (on my side, in plain site, in the glove box).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Crime? No, not under state law. If the feds are involved, look up 18 U.S.C. sec.1001.

...but if you're looking for a law that says it's fine to lie to police....keep looking.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Crime? No, not under state law. If the feds are involved, look up 18 U.S.C. sec.1001.

...but if you're looking for a law that says it's fine to lie to police....keep looking.
    I'll settle for one that says I can't. Until then, good for the goose, good for the gander.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you say no i don't have a firearm and the answer is really yes, I imagine its a crime. Never put much thought to it. I always inform, it will be in sight at some point during the stop (on my side, in plain site, in the glove box).
    You imagine???
    sorry, we don't deal with imaginary crime!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    O.P., if you want to answer and not lie, just tell them "nothing illegal" if/when they ask if you have any weapons.
    in my opinion, unless it will obviously be seen, is to NOT volunteer ANY information that they do not need to know!
    i have my personal reasons for this opinion, and NEVER want my own gun pointed at me EVER AGAIN!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What's the crime?

I'll take False Informing for $100, Alex.

*buzz, buzz*

The daily double!

but if you're looking for a law that says it's fine to lie to police....keep looking.

How about I stop at Title 35?:D

It COULD be a crime to lie to the poooooleeeece. Look at 35-44-2-2, False Informing, a Class B misdemeanor.

*Actual scene from an actual lawyer's office:

"So the police report says that you told them that you were Cledus Lee Longstreet Lee Lee, when your name is actually Lee Longstreet Cledus Lee. Don't you think the police would figure that one out?"

"Well, I dun drunk me a bottle of Jack Daniels before I said that."

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Rather than considering whether to lie or tell the truth when asked if you have any weapons in the vehicle (as if either one of those was the best choice), you could take the opportunity to ask a question of your own:

"Why am I being detained?" - Civil yet very succinct. It implies something akin to, "I doubt you pulled me over just so you could ask me that one question, so let's cut to the chase, get it over with and move on, we both have better things we could be doing.

"Why? Do you need to borrow some?" Add a bit of humor. If it's met with less than a positive response, refer back to above.

...or, simply remain silent to that question and wait for something you're required or choose to answer.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I inform just out of respect (only been pulled over once and i dont have my ltch so its a little different) but i have had some officers tell me they would rather you lie about that question out of sight out of mind i guess

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I like that remain silent rule, cause you know anything you say can and will be held against you? Any question they have when they pull me over can be answered with my DL, and or registration.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I do it because after taking criminal justice classes and becoming close friends with several leos i can understand that the what ifs can be kinda nerve racking. Thats the beauty of personal rights i can waive them when ever i want. And just so you guys dont think im a puppet of the popos i have invoked my 4th and 5th amendment rights before.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I inform just out of respect (only been pulled over once and i dont have my ltch so its a little different) but i have had some officers tell me they would rather you lie about that question out of sight out of mind i guess
    How many times have we heard that!?
    i understand your thought process ( but don't agree with it), but why do you consider it respect to tell an officer about something that is absolutely none of his business, and has nothing at all to do with the reason you are stopped?

do you consider it disrespectful to NOT inform?

How many officers have told you they would rather you lie?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I do it because after taking criminal justice classes and becoming close friends with several leos i can understand that the what ifs can be kinda nerve racking. Thats the beauty of personal rights i can waive them when ever i want. And just so you guys dont think im a puppet of the popos i have invoked my 4th and 5th amendment rights before.

See, I don't get this argument.

If I'm carrying and I answer in the negative, how does that suddenly change the risk to the officers?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I do not consider it disrespectful if you dont and i dont think you should have to inform. But one of the tests i had to take to pass a class was to do a couple mock traffic stops. If the driver was able to pull a weapon before you you died and in turn failed the class. The first thing that came out of my mouth hello sir/ma'am just out of curiosity is there any weapons in the car if the answer was yes i calmed down quite a bit and was more relaxed if the answer was no or if it wasnt asked we would be paying a bit more attention and be a little more high strung. And that was pass or fail not life or death. I do it to help keep the atmosphere relaxed. Besides as some of you know my carry gun is a little different so it helps to be up front with the officer and inform him/her of my gun and the laws pertaining to it. Once again waiving your rights is your choice.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    1) Lie. There is little to no chance that any charges that might apply in this case would succeed against you. However, I do not recommend.
    2) Tell the truth. Just say "yes, I am legally in procession of a weapon".
    3) Say, "I do not wish to answer that". Basically you are invoking your right to remain silent here. Keep in mind that if you are legally being detained they might have a right to search your person. Do not permit them to search your home/car though under any circumstance.
    4) Say, "I have nothing illegal". If they push you after this response resort to #3.

Now for my opinion: This is really a pointless question. If the person whom the officer is asking this question to intends to possibly do harm to that officer with such weapon they are not going to tell the truth. There is no good that this question can do for an officer. In fact, all it might do is give the officer a false sense of security, which is much worse.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I do not consider it disrespectful if you dont and i dont think you should have to inform. But one of the tests i had to take to pass a class was to do a couple mock traffic stops. If the driver was able to pull a weapon before you you died and in turn failed the class. The first thing that came out of my mouth hello sir/ma'am just out of curiosity is there any weapons in the car if the answer was yes i calmed down quite a bit and was more relaxed if the answer was no or if it wasnt asked we would be paying a bit more attention and be a little more high strung. And that was pass or fail not life or death. I do it to help keep the atmosphere relaxed. Besides as some of you know my carry gun is a little different so it helps to be up front with the officer and inform him/her of my gun and the laws pertaining to it. Once again waiving your rights is your choice.
    "to help keep the atmosphere relaxed"?
    what is unique about your gun that would make it better to inform?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    1) Lie. There is little to no chance that any charges that might apply in this case would succeed against you. However, I do not recommend.
    2) Tell the truth. Just say "yes, I am legally in procession of a weapon".
    3) Say, "I do not wish to answer that". Basically you are invoking your right to remain silent here. Keep in mind that if you are legally being detained they might have a right to search your person. Do not permit them to search your home/car though under any circumstance.
    4) Say, "I have nothing illegal". If they push you after this response resort to #3.

Now for my opinion: This is really a pointless question. If the person whom the officer is asking this question to intends to possibly do harm to that officer with such weapon they are not going to tell the truth. There is no good that this question can do for an officer. In fact, all it might do is give the officer a false sense of security, which is much worse.
    Agree 100%

Top Bottom