• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I had a new HVAC system installed a couple years ago. For some reason I can use it all winter for heat, then come summer I will go to switch it to AC and thermostat says cooling but it don't kick on.....so I call the installer and he had me do something with the thermostat. Come winter after using AC all summer, and switch thermostat to heat and nothing happened, so I called installer and he walked me thru re-setting thermostat and it started working.

Here is my dilemma. I tried turning on heat earlier......and it is doing it again. I hate calling this installer again because he is gonna think I am stupid that I don't remember how to do this and it is Sunday, so don't want to bother him. Anyone have any idea how to re-set this? Thermostat says it is 66 in here. If I put on "cool" and set below 66 the AC kicks on and works. But when I switch it to "heat" and set temp at 70, it does nothing.

Thermostat is a Aprilaire, Furnace is a Champion gas, no heat pump. I tried just hitting the little reset button by the batteries, which is what I thought he had me do last year, but it dont seem to be working. Anyone have any ideas or am I just going to have to call this installer again tomorrow? If I do I am writing down notes this time, lol.

Not sure why I go thru this every Spring and Fall??

Thanks!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had a new HVAC system installed a couple years ago. For some reason I can use it all winter for heat, then come summer I will go to switch it to AC and thermostat says cooling but it don't kick on.....so I call the installer and he had me do something with the thermostat. Come winter after using AC all summer, and switch thermostat to heat and nothing happened, so I called installer and he walked me thru re-setting thermostat and it started working.

Here is my dilemma. I tried turning on heat earlier......and it is doing it again. I hate calling this installer again because he is gonna think I am stupid that I don't remember how to do this and it is Sunday, so don't want to bother him. Anyone have any idea how to re-set this? Thermostat says it is 66 in here. If I put on "cool" and set below 66 the AC kicks on and works. But when I switch it to "heat" and set temp at 70, it does nothing.

Thermostat is a Aprilaire, Furnace is a Champion gas, no heat pump. I tried just hitting the little reset button by the batteries, which is what I thought he had me do last year, but it dont seem to be working. Anyone have any ideas or am I just going to have to call this installer again tomorrow? If I do I am writing down notes this time, lol.

Not sure why I go thru this every Spring and Fall??

Thanks!
    I'd say something's wrong. You shouldn't have to be resetting anything. Switch from AC to heat and vice versa should be seamless no matter what. If I'd call the installer, I'd tell him to get his ass out there and do it right.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd say something's wrong. You shouldn't have to be resetting anything. Switch from AC to heat and vice versa should be seamless no matter what. If I'd call the installer, I'd tell him to get his ass out there and do it right.
    THIS. you simply switching from cool to heat should be enough for a PROPERLY installed unit to function without some kind of intervention. He did not do his job properly. I wonder if its the correct type of stat for that unit?

Or it might be like you having to turn your headlights on momentarily in order for your transmission to switch from D to R.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I figured it out.....and talked to installer. It is a bad thermostat. He is coming out tomorrow and putting new one in under warranty, but I was able to get it running. I used the reset again.......and held it in 15 seconds instead of 3-4 and it started working. Tech said that was a thermostat issue. lol, I am such a fool. I have put up with this for couple years now, thinking it was normal. DoggyDaddy had to go all Churchmouse on me to get me to understand, lmao. I am so hard headed sometimes.

Thanks gentlemen for the advice.....now I can sleep in comfort.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I figured it out.....and talked to installer. It is a bad thermostat. He is coming out tomorrow and putting new one in under warranty, but I was able to get it running. I used the reset again.......and held it in 15 seconds instead of 3-4 and it started working. Tech said that was a thermostat issue. lol, I am such a fool. I have put up with this for couple years now, thinking it was normal. DoggyDaddy had to go all Churchmouse on me to get me to understand, lmao. I am so hard headed sometimes.

Thanks gentlemen for the advice.....now I can sleep in comfort.
    Good for you! Glad it's gonna be taken care of. And I'm flattered to have you say I went "all Churchmouse" on you! :lmfao:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I just woke up to a dead furnace after multiple short power outages yesterday and throughout the night.

Furnace status codes said rollout sensor but they were reading ok, I had a spare flame sensor so I installed it. The furnace fired up but no airflow. Motor humming. Checked the capacitor, it's bad too. We leave to blower running 24/7 for circulation so it could have failed weeks ago. I have a cheap one coming overnight 4-8 am from Amazon as a temporary until I can get a name-brand. Hopefully that does it as the wife will be home all day.

I miss Churchmouse, may have been able to call him to get the part swapped.

Last edited:

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Exactly what DD posted. Something is not functioning correctly.

Top Bottom