• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I picked up a Nikon P-223 scope and mounts based on reviews I found online. It feels like a decent scope and so far the view looks pretty good. I am however having an issue with mounting or at least I think it may be an issue. I am new to the AR world and in the process of mounting the scope I notice that my quad rail (I think that is what it's called) has a small amount of radial movement. In the picture you can see that the rear scope mount is on the main top picatinny rail and the front mount is on the top of the quad rail. Tightening up to scope in its mounts takes out the radial play of the quad but I'm not real fond of the scope tube becoming a structural member. I see no way to lock the quad rail solid and I'm not real sure that the scope is going to hold center since the quad has this play in it.

Suggestions?
    Thanks, Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      61.2 KB · Views: 52

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Unless you have a monolithic upper (you dont) your should not out the mount on the quad rail. It looks like your eye relief can not be right from the pic. I would move everything back a couple inch's (atleast) but you have to get both mounting base's on your flattop upper.

If you have your eye relief correct, it looks like from the pic you can slide the scope back in the ring closest to your face, and get the front ring on the receiver without moving the scope much.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I mounted it so that I had about the right relief when putting my head in the same position I did with iron sights. I can move it back but not sure if my head will be in a good position to get correct eye relief.

Thanks, Matt

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Please post a range report

Let me us know how this scope works for you when you get it put together.

Unless you have a monolithic upper (you dont) your should not out the mount on the quad rail. It looks like your eye relief can not be right from the pic. I would move everything back a couple inch's (atleast) but you have to get both mounting base's on your flattop upper.

If you have your eye relief correct, it looks like from the pic you can slide the scope back in the ring closest to your face, and get the front ring on the receiver without moving the scope much.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I mounted it so that I had about the right relief when putting my head in the same position I did with iron sights. I can move it back but not sure if my head will be in a good position to get correct eye relief.

Thanks, Matt

Your either going to have to move the scope back towards you, or buy the correct mounting.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I moved it back so that both mounts are on the primary rail and as far forward as it would go. It works but my head is not in my normal position. I'll take it to the range and see how I like it.

Matt

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i looked on your site but couldn't find any mounts like you suggest. Do you carry any?

Matt

I do carry them, but they are not on my site. I think you can make your current setup work bu placing the front clamp on the most forward spot on the receiver, and re adjusting eye relief. Like SER it really looks like your scope it to far forward.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    My normal head position with open sights has my nose touching the charging handle. In order to get proper eye relief it needed to be that far forward to keep my head in position. I have moved it back to where the eyepiece is just forward of the charging handle. It seems okay, just a different head position. It is about the same as what I have to use on my Remington in 300WM to keep from getting scope eye. I may try to get down to Atterbury later this week to try it out.

Matt

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    I do carry them, but they are not on my site. I think you can make your current setup work bu placing the front clamp on the most forward spot on the receiver, and re adjusting eye relief. Like SER it really looks like your scope it to far forward.

I agree, Move scope back towards your charging handle. That should get the scope in a much better position for you. I have same scope and mounts so I understand what you are talking about. The great thing with the P-Series AR Mount is their flexibility. They can be turned around, one can be turned around, whatever you need to get it mounted correctly.

p-2233-9.jpg Photo by bman940 | Photobucket

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    My normal head position with open sights has my nose touching the charging handle. In order to get proper eye relief it needed to be that far forward to keep my head in position. I have moved it back to where the eyepiece is just forward of the charging handle. It seems okay, just a different head position. It is about the same as what I have to use on my Remington in 300WM to keep from getting scope eye. I may try to get down to Atterbury later this week to try it out.

Matt

Is your stock that short or are you shooting with it collapsed?

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    It is a regular stock fully extended. It has always felt short to me though. I am always trying to extend it out further thinking it isn't out full. The gun is a stock Stag Arms Model 3. Only thing not stock is the scope and US Defense Solutions did a wonderful trigger job on it.

I'll post up a new pic with the scope moved back and get the full length of the gun in the pic later this afternoon.
    Matt

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I got down to Atterbury yesterday afternoon to try out the scope. It worked very well once I got it dialed in. Head position still feels a bit odd but it isn't anything I can't learn to live with. It does seem as though it is mounted a bit low but I think that is because my head isn't laying forward like before with iron sights.
    I initially tried to shoot with lowest magnification but 4-5x seemed about right for 100yds. I needed to crank it up to 9x to see the impact points though.
    It definitely did what I bought it to do. I am not yet a great shot but it brought my groups down in size from about 8" with irons to less than 1.5" at 100yards.

Thanks, Matt

Top Bottom