• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This is a topic that can be debated until we're all blue in the face.

There is a reason I chose a shotgun for in the house encounters instead of a handgun.

Too me, if you're going to be throwing slugs or 00 buck, then you may as well use a pistol.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    This is a topic that can be debated until we're all blue in the face.

There is a reason I chose a shotgun for in the house encounters instead of a handgun.

Too me, if you're going to be throwing slugs or 00 buck, then you may as well use a pistol.
    Use #4 buckshot. Not 4 sized birdhsot but "Number 4 buck" That is the minmum defensive load you should ever use BUT your logic is very good and #4 will fit your needs. I am not reading other posts, but with ballistics I can prove the birdshot myth is bad science.

FYI in the city the first round in my mag tube is always #4 buck. My 870's sit with action open and ammo selection in the side saddle. The most likely use of my shotgun will be to do a dog or coyote in, but coyotes are smart and will run. Dogs will come after you. If you get tunnel vision on the fleeing coyote and shoot, you will be glad you had #4 buck in the gun.

In an apartment complex, condos or duplex, all rounds in the mag tube should be #4 buck. I never feel undergunned if the entire gun is loaded with #4 buck.

A shotgun used for defensive purposes, like the wife in the bedroom, #4 is also a great selection. She can fire away and less likley to get you or other family members elsewhere in house due to over penetration.

Some might say I am a fairly accomplished shotgunner, hell I will say it. It is good to have all three, handgun, shotgun, carbine but I learned this about myself long ago.

If I have time to think and decide what I will grab, meaning I am in control of the situtaion, I will select a shotgun with light. If wife screams and wakes me up I will grab Glock with a light. If wife comes in from outside screaming and I am asleep on the couch...............you need a God damn gun in the direction you are going, not at the other end of the house in the bedroom. AKA a metal box on the wall by the door painted white with a red cross on it may look like a first aid kit but guess what is inside it OR stash a shotgun by the door, in the laundry room or pantry. 870 with Koxx folder and TLR1 light does nicely for this. Family, kids, alarm systems and floor plan dictate what you should do.

By the campfire I prefer a 12 gauge and Glock. No need for long range at night. you can only shoot as far as a 6 or 9 volt light will go.

I am not going outside and hunt anyone down in the city with a carbine. The limitiations of a shotgun or handgun keep me tied to my property and family and that is a good thing for legal purposes and defensive purposes. However, my light weight AR has a 20 round mag in it with Surefire light on it.

Any round that leaves yoru barrel has a potential lawsuit tied to it. For just that reaosn alone, and vinyl siding houses, make Urabn areas tough.

Taint Mangler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can't for the life of me find a Knoxx Specops here locally. I've called about 10 shops.

I saw one at Pop's not too long ago (if that's local to you). I have one on a Win 1300. Rapid fire slugs are fun and painless. Only drawback is that instead of gun and shoulder recoiling together, the gun slides back toward you, but you don't move. This can cause 1. a nice thump to the eye and 2. a half pump of the action when the gun slides back forward. Still, I highly recommend it.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    IRT the question about various shotgun rounds vs. plaster walls, check out The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing. This site is sort of a shooting version of Mythbusters, definitely worth a look.

As for the original question, I ordered a 590A1 the other day (after months of searching!). Should be here this week. I chose it because of the great reputation the weapon has for reliability -- I have two almost-teenage boys so I *need* realiability!

Top Bottom