• ...and so much more!
  • CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Wow that assault rifle they showed was really ...... uh never mind

So if I were having mental issues and talking about shooting people I'm pretty sure my significant other would take my guns, give them to my dad, and try and get me help along with the rest of my family. That is the RIGHT thing to do.

It is a sad story, nothing he had seemed to really alarm or surprise me, is that a bad thing?

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Girard’s collection of "approximately twenty" firearms – in fact, he owned 11 rifles and two handguns, all legally purchased and duly registered – suddenly became an "an alarming, nearly military-grade stockpile."[/FONT]

If they were legally purchased and duly registered how is he in trouble?

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Girard also reportedly converted his third story into an "illegal indoor firing range," complete with what was described as an "illegal ballistic plate" (apparently possession of metal plates of a certain thickness is now impermissible without explicit government permission).[/FONT]

I am blessed to live in a state that allows metal! ;)

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"We feel our community is safer having this kind of weaponry off the street," intoned a police spokesman as he performed the familiar post-raid gun-grabber liturgy.[/FONT]

freaking makes me sick to my stomach

n[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]o charges were ever filed relating to Girard's "arsenal" of firearms. The charges of owning "infernal machines" – five "explosive" hand grenadeshave been dismissed because, as he had patiently tried to explain to the armed marauders who abducted him, the objects in question were perfectly non-explosive gas grenades. The charge of "carrying dangerous weapons" was also vacated, since Girard was never accused of carrying a knife or baton outside his home, and no state or local ordinance forbids private ownership of knives or clubs.[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The only remaining charges – discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, and two counts of illegal possession of silencers – are made of the same alloy of dishonesty and prosecutorial desperation.[/FONT]

Ok so the shooting range in his house in side city limits is stupid, at least abide by the law there.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    While I can't claim that article was neutral, it sure as heck had less of a slant in our direction than the original news articles did.

While I think this is abhorrent, I can't say that it is anything new in human history, even in the US. One can't point to any point in our history when this sort of statism hasn't happened. The larger a government is, the more it can act against the individual with impunity. Government at a State level even is too large IMO.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I've been paranoid about having 4 handguns and 2 rifles. I certainly hope none of which will qualify as a "Military type arsenal".

Now we understand why our paranoia is the way it is.

I hope after he's released he gets a kick a** attorney and sues the heck out of the entire state and uses the money to buy bigger nad better.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I hope after he's released he gets a kick a** attorney and sues the heck out of the entire state and uses the money to buy bigger nad better.

My thoughts exactly. And that he has enough left over to buy property where he can have a nice range.

The artilcle didn't say it, but I hope he kicked his spouse to the curb for causing this grief in his life.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There is nothing like a good wife. :wallbash:

They guy may have issues, but I would think there were other ways to help him, rather than reporting him to the authorities. Now, they will keep his guns in order to protect him and those around him?!

Dough Boy 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Hammond, IN
    :+1:
    Wow is all that comes to mind. If they were to start sending swat out to peoples homes who possessed "[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]an alarming, nearly military-grade stockpile[/FONT]" of 20 firearm here in Indiana they'd be have a very tired swat team.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Excellent article. Thanks for the link. We have too many laws and codified victimless crimes in this country; so many that virtually anyone can be made a criminal by the government at any time. It's a very dangerous situation.

If they can't get him on any weapons charges, maybe he made a mistake on a tax return, maybe he changed the oil in his car and dumped the old oil in his backyard, maybe he bought unpasteurized milk from a local farmer, etc. . . .

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Since it is unacceptable for people to believe that government agents will carry out paramilitary raids to confiscate firearms, a paramilitary force was sent to Girard’s home to confiscate his firearms.

This says it all.

Who is paranoid in this story?
    [/FONT]

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    quote "The only remaining charges – discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, and two counts of illegal possession of silencers"

So did he have suppressors with out a stamp? If so then he was breaking a major gun law and will probably go to jail.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    quote "The only remaining charges – discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, and two counts of illegal possession of silencers"

So did he have suppressors with out a stamp? If so then he was breaking a major gun law and will probably go to jail.
    read it again, they weren't noise suppressors just flash suppressors.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They also said that while they don't recommend it that there are no laws saying you can't fire a weapon inside your own house.

I think the real reason they busted him is because of the handcuffs, of course if that's true I'm thinking that a lot of us on this forum are in trouble:whip::rockwoot::rofl:

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Since it is unacceptable for people to believe that government agents will carry out paramilitary raids to confiscate firearms, a paramilitary force was sent to Girard’s home to confiscate his firearms.
    :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:
    As Lex said, this is the core of what happened. His paranoid beliefs about the government overstepping and abusing its authority is exactly why they overstepped and abused their authority. "It's all about making everyone SAFE! Think of the CHILDREN!!"

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :faint: I can't put thoughts into words right now. Other than the majority of the people will never know the truth about this case. In fact all they are going to remember is that someone in MA was arrested for being crazy, having tons of guns, and illegal bantons in his house.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I just love that he had two vests and two helmets. So since it was him and his wife living there that means they both would have one. He was getting THEM prepared, but she turns him in.

If they are still together I am going to check Craigslist in Manchester for a vest and helmet cheap.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    While I can't claim that article was neutral, it sure as heck had less of a slant in our direction than the original news articles did.

While I think this is abhorrent, I can't say that it is anything new in human history, even in the US. One can't point to any point in our history when this sort of statism hasn't happened. The larger a government is, the more it can act against the individual with impunity. Government at a State level even is too large IMO.

I actually thought it was a pretty well-written article.
    There's no "assault rifle" talk, and it's very sympathetic to the guy.

I particularly liked the bit of sardonicism:

"[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Since it is unacceptable for people to believe that government agents will carry out paramilitary raids to confiscate firearms, a paramilitary force was sent to Girard’s home to confiscate his firearms."[/FONT]

The author is clearly expressing his distaste and disdain for the government's counter-productive methods and illogic.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"Stormtroopers from CART, the ATF, and the state police surrounded the condo, evacuated two units, and then called Girard to invite him outside. Seeing his home surrounded by a ring of heavily armed, black-clad bucketheads clearly possessing malign intent, Girard understandably declined the invitation."

Describes pretty well what happened and who was there... even adds a bit of commentary with the 'understandably' part, though I happen to agree.

Decent piece if one acknowledges the sardonicism.

Free Gregory Girard is about all I have to say in response to this situation.

If the man has done nothing wrong, let him free. Now.
    [/FONT]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom