• techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Modern Farming for Berms: An Idea.

Today I was at work and thinking about how my family is starting to do above ground farming around the house (literally). I was thinking about how we are making these very basic boxes about 3 feet high, tossing in dirt and rocks and seeds for veggies and realized that not only am I "farming" tomatoes and cukes, but I am also farming berms.

Follow me here. The problem that I have, and many others have as well is that we live in subdivisions, 15 feet away from the next home, and our house is of modern construction (i.e. plastic sheets over a wood frame at best).

In a home defense situation that leaves a lot to be desired and thus all the arguments about caliber and overpenetration that we spend hours pounding out here on this site. And, in respect to our neighbors, it is a good concern to have. But, also, out of respect to reality, in a self defense situation any defender's concern will be survival above all else and rounds will likely fly as needs be.

So, is there anything we can do beyond reading "The Box O Truth" over and over again? Perhaps there is!

Grow a berm!

What?!

Grow a berm. That is what a box with enough dirt in it is: a berm. That may be a tomato growing berm, it may have cukes, but the fact that it has dirt and rocks is what matters. It is going to be as good as brick construction? Nope, but you work with what you have.

Now, back to reality I am looking at my planned planters and realizing that they could be taller and a bit thicker. Maybe 4' instead of 2.5'. Maybe placed externally in relation to downstairs hallways, etc.

Perfect? Nope. But maybe worth a consideration.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i see nothing wrong with the idea... out there, but the more you prepare for differant situations the better off you will be... i say good call. you are living the high life my friend.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    i see nothing wrong with the idea... out there, but the more you prepare for differant situations the better off you will be... i say good call. you are living the high life my friend.

Yeah, kinda out there, but as long as it is dual purpose and as long as my wife does not catch on, it should work out. :):

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    sounds like your describing raised beds to me...or are you trying to encompass them into a raised wooden structure? Might not be a bad idea, could protect them from the wildlife a bit....not real sure of its stability though.

I and mine are all for growin your own though. :D :yesway:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Sounds like they'd be great places for attackers to take cover behind to me. I believe I read it takes 18" of dirt to safely stop a rifle round, can't remember the caliber tested.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Is there some gardening-related reason to make your raised beds three feet tall?

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Techres, wasn't there something like this in "Patriot's..."? I remember that the character, Kevin who had the house near the main retreat added something like that later in the book.

From the standpoint of OpSec, it does seem rather "innocent", and the advantage to taller beds is that you don't have to bend way over to plant, weed, etc. They actually have tall beds like that over in the Community Garden up on Pigeon Hill in town, off N. Monroe if you want to check them out.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Techres, wasn't there something like this in "Patriot's..."? I remember that the character, Kevin who had the house near the main retreat added something like that later in the book.

From the standpoint of OpSec, it does seem rather "innocent", and the advantage to taller beds is that you don't have to bend way over to plant, weed, etc. They actually have tall beds like that over in the Community Garden up on Pigeon Hill in town, off N. Monroe if you want to check them out.

It's kinda the reverse of that and probably what got me thinking about it since that book sits in the bathroom at work (dunno who left it there :rolleyes: ). The idea is more that it would capture any fire from inside the house from going into a neighbor house rather than providing armor against outside attackers.

Again, modern homes = paper mache and many of us worry about what might happen with a ND or even a round that missed an attacker inside of the home. I simply pondered what a well placed planter (i.e. one that was outisde the home in line with the end of a hallway) might do to help eat up over-penetrating rounds.

Personally, given the choice of lowering my protection by underpowering my home defense firearm or picking the best defense weapon I can find in an emergency, I will go with the latter. As a result, I need to find a way to slow down the round that misses or goes through an attacker. With many homes, even buckshot is gonna keep going through the home until something stops it and thus the planter idea.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Raised Garden Beds are great and works well. Be sure to add sufficent drain holes.

Any gargen will draw little wabbits and other critters into your yard to help themselves at night. If you have a good .22 air rifle, you can hunt those little critters and put meat on the table as well.

Please, if you have small children at home don't tell them you'll be hunting wabbits in the early morning or the next thing will be your children accusing you of hunting the Easter Bunny. No joke, I have seen this happen to my other friends who are doing or have done the same thing you are thinking about doing.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Raised Garden Beds are great and works well. Be sure to add sufficent drain holes.

Any gargen will draw little wabbits and other critters into your yard to help themselves at night. If you have a good .22 air rifle, you can hunt those little critters and put meat on the table as well.

Please, if you have small children at home don't tell them you'll be hunting wabbits in the early morning or the next thing will be your children accusing you of hunting the Easter Bunny. No joke, I have seen this happen to my other friends who are doing or have done the same thing you are thinking about doing.

My 4 yr old nephew likes to sit out in the yard with me and shoot squirrels and rabbits with me! :rockwoot:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ill come from the perspective of a landscaper and that idea would actually work pretty good. Maybe a 3 foot box (enough cover to lay behind in the house). Base layer of rock and dirt (make sure there is enough dirt to grow something), top layer of top soil and mulch. Ive seen it done before and it does look kinda cool (it was just for decoration). Make sure you are protecting the side of your house from all that though, if you don't and you ever want to take it out the siding/side of the house will be ruined (if its been there for very long). Id use railroad ties for the box and a sheet of heavy plastic between the house and rock).

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Or if you were worried about your HD projectiles over penetrating and injuring the neighbors you could use 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 4 shot in a 2 3/4" shell. At inside the house ranges, I bet even a 6 or 7 size shot would kill a BG and not penetrate the house exterior wall with enough energy left to do any harm to anyone inside an adjacent home.
    To me it seems like a really good defensive position for a bad guy to set up and wait you out or fire on your house from behind excellent cover. I'd change my Home defense firearm before I did what you are talking about.
    I just kinda realized something about where you are coming from....I'm coming from a SHTF scenario not a burglar broke in at 2 am scenario. 'Course I don't have any neighbors close enough to worry about accidently shooting either.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I'm coming from a SHTF scenario not a burglar broke in at 2 am scenario.

SHTF scenario? These still work well. Just put a charge in each and run the wire. They want to use it for cover, then you get to know where to leave the extra tannerite.

Top Bottom