Misguided pursuit of an extra buck? Post your tale!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    A month before my now 2.5 year old son was born, gas was $4 a gallon and We were burning a ton of it at the time, as I was responsible for moving all of our possessions in to a new place and also driving back and forth to school, in addition to the wife and I both driving to work and back. So, I was looking for extra ca$h anywhere I could.

One afternoon, I was trolling Craigslist when somebody posted in the "Free" category.....they were giving away a ton of Christmas lights! A full carload! Must take all! It was a "curb alert" posting with an address, so I headed that way with dreams of the large bulbs and heavy gauge wire dancing in my mind.:rolleyes:

I got there and sure enough, it was a car load, but of tangled mini lights.:dunno: I loaded them up and took them to the new place, grabbing a six pack on the way. I sat outside that night and clipped lights off the wire for over four hours. I barely made a dent in the pile, and yielded a grand total of six or seven pounds of insulated wire for my effort.:xmad: Clearly this was a failure and not an efficient use of my limited time. I shoved the pile of light into the corner of the garage and tried my best to ignore them.

Fast forward to now....I was doing some spring cleaning and finally decided to address the lights. I figured that with a little work here and there, I could whittle the pile down. I taught the 11 year old boy next down about "scrapping" and gave him a pile to do for himself. Last weekend, I earned my Associates degree finally, and so have had plenty of time this week to mess with it. I can sit just inside the garage and snip wire while the little boy runs around the yard, rides his tricycle, stomps in puddles, and picks up pillbugs. This week, I have filled two five gallon bucks with wire (about 35 pounds) and one bucket full of bulbs. Imagine that....a five gallon bucket filled to the top with miniature Christmas light bulbs.

Hopefully I will be done with this ridiculous endeavor tomorrow and can haul the wire to the scrapyard and be done with it. Incidentally, I decided early on to spend the meager money I will receive on ammo.:rockwoot::draw::rockwoot:That got me through another strand when I wanted to quit a few times.

Soooo.....what misguided or plain old mistakes have YOU made in pursuit of an extra buck?

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    When I was about 19 or so I fell for all of those get rich quick schemes. Bought several online programs thinking I was gonna be loaded. All I did was lighten my wallet and wasted my time. Dumped about $400 into all that and didnt make a dime. Nothing!

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    At one point, I'd been fired wrongfully from my job, and during my job search I came across a company basically doing telemarketing from home. I wasn't selling anyone anything, I just needed to get their ok for the company to send them info on a prescription discount card program.

I earned exactly jack squat, and in fact lost money because of the special add on to my "phone line" so I could make the calls without...you know what, it was $60 I paid for some BS I don't even know what for. I tried my darndest to make it work. In the end, it was a huge waste of time and effort.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    In the late 70's I thought I would save money by doing my own brake job. Didn't get the brakes properly bled and proceed to bump the front of my apartment building. Saved $100 on the brake job, but landlord charged me $250 for damages to the building.

I got of lucky, it could have been worse.

Didn't damage the car though, they built em like a tank in the 70's

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Quit a job with great job security in a state I loved living in for a job that paid a few thousand more, but was in IL and lacked any sense of job security. When the inevitable layoffs came it turned into a "last in first out" situation... All for a few paychecks at a rate I probably could have gotten at the first job if I had asked :/

Live and learn.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom