• ...and so much more!
  • Compatriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2023
    Carmel, IN
    This would be standard i think.
    A 10.5" will reach out to 500yds without to much effort using 75-77gr bullets, and a nice 1-8x LPVO.

I still don't understand why people like 55-62gr in a 5.56 AR-15. It's just to light IMO.

Minuteman
    Although the terms militia and minutemen are sometimes used interchangeably today, in the 18th century there was a decided difference between the two. Militia were men in arms formed to protect their towns from foreign invasion and ravages of war. Minutemen were a small hand-picked elite force which were required to be highly mobile and able to assemble quickly. Minutemen were selected from militia muster rolls by their commanding officers. Typically 25 years of age or younger, they were chosen for their enthusiasm, reliability, and physical strength. Usually about one quarter of the militia served as Minutemen, performing additional duties as such. The Minutemen were the first armed militia to arrive or await a battle. - Andrew Ronemus
    Here I am thinking 27 years old is youthful enough to participate! hmpff

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I haven't tried either at distance, but I'm guessing my Q Sugar Weasel .300BLK will do minute-of-vitals out to 300 yards with the Eotech, at least. And my .223 AR w/ 16" barrel should be good out to at least 600 yards w/ heavy grain ammo and a 1x8 scope.

I really need to get out to Bass & Bucks to stretch both out as far as possible.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Here I am thinking 27 years old is youthful enough to participate! hmpff
    Many people thought they were just anyone who wanted to be a minuteman. Movies portrayed minuteman as being old or middle age just isn't true.
    The real minuteman were the best, and usually youngest of the local militia. Their may have been a few 27yo I'm sure the age wasn't set in stone as long as you could handle the work.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I haven't tried either at distance, but I'm guessing my Q Sugar Weasel .300BLK will do minute-of-vitals out to 300 yards with the Eotech, at least. And my .223 AR w/ 16" barrel should be good out to at least 600 yards w/ heavy grain ammo and a 1x8 scope.

I really need to get out to Bass & Bucks to stretch both out as far as possible.

I tried my 8.5" 300BLK at a match recently & was surprised how hard it was to make a hit at 200 yards. I timed out on that stage and didn't hit the 200 nor 300 yd targets. Target sizes were all smaller than 3 MOA. The gun rocked at all stages closer than 100 though. I was using iron sights & 125gr supers.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Budget AR in either collapsible stock with 16 to 20 inch barrel chambered in 5.56. Preferably with an ACOG or EOTECH for an optic. Personally I like something with a bayonet lug, but if you are going to have it, you should probably train with it. Nothing like needing it and not having it or not being trained on it. Rifle should include 8 to 10 magazines. Persons should probably learn both optics, but anyone can pick one or the other up and hit targets without know the specifics of the optic. The caliber makes it able to shoot the most widely used ammunition type available and you don't have to worry about making or finding something special that might be in limited supply. The rifle is only a part of the equation. Train at 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, and 500 yards and know the wind calls and hold over/under based on your zero. Probably should at least spend time dry firing once a week and live fire at least once a month. If you went with a cheap build, you will figure out what reliability issues there are and what to replace to make the rifle better. Magazine and ammo choice almost matters more than rifle cost, most AR rifles at any price point themselves are pretty reliable as long as the conform to standard design. Also, get in shape.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

What 300 loads do you shoot?
    And what Eotech are you using, the first gen one I own, has a pretty large red dot at 300.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Budget AR in either collapsible stock with 16 to 20 inch barrel chambered in 5.56. Preferably with an ACOG or EOTECH for an optic. Personally I like something with a bayonet lug, but if you are going to have it, you should probably train with it. Nothing like needing it and not having it or not being trained on it. Rifle should include 8 to 10 magazines. Persons should probably learn both optics, but anyone can pick one or the other up and hit targets without know the specifics of the optic. The caliber makes it able to shoot the most widely used ammunition type available and you don't have to worry about making or finding something special that might be in limited supply. The rifle is only a part of the equation. Train at 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, and 500 yards and know the wind calls and hold over/under based on your zero. Probably should at least spend time dry firing once a week and live fire at least once a month. If you went with a cheap build, you will figure out what reliability issues there are and what to replace to make the rifle better. Magazine and ammo choice almost matters more than rifle cost, most AR rifles at any price point themselves are pretty reliable as long as the conform to standard design. Also, get in shape.
    I asked both of my son's about using a Bayonet, With 11 years of being Infantry Marines one of them was issued a bayonet for Jungle Warfare Training, he said they used them for about an hour.
    They both though a good fighting knife with be more useful.

Last edited:

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I asked both of my son about using a Bayonet, With 11 years of being Infantry Marines one of them was issued a bayonet for Jungle Warfare Training, he said they used them for about an hour.
    They both though a good fighting knife with be more useful.
    What years did they serve? The current OKC-3S is more similar to a fighting knife than the M7 that I trained with back in 2002. I know 2004 in Fallujah saw Marines use bayonets, just not sure of the specifics other than it wasn't for their normal use of opening MREs (lol). I can see situations for either mounted or unmounted use.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What years did they serve? The current OKC-3S is more similar to a fighting knife than the M7 that I trained with back in 2002. I know 2004 in Fallujah saw Marines use bayonets, just not sure of the specifics other than it wasn't for their normal use of opening MREs (lol). I can see situations for either mounted or unmounted use.
    That was almost 20 yrs ago, LOL

One left 14-15 months ago and one is still in.
    I'm sure its still deployment specific, I recall that the last Marine Bayonet charge was in the Korean War. I would bet a Leather-man is more useful.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    That was almost 20 yrs ago, LOL

One left 14-15 months ago and one is still in.
    I'm sure its still deployment specific, I recall that the last Marine Bayonet charge was in the Korean War. I would bet a Leather-man is more useful.
    Man I feel old. Doesn't seem that long ago until you do the math. I just know they are still issued (depending on deployment I'm sure) and that their new M27 was required to have a bayonet lug, something my Army friends like to make fun of. Absolutely, Leatherman is way more useful.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can only speak to my old Army unit in '03. We were part of the invasion and for the most part the bayonets stayed in the rear. Some guys carried pocket knives, about every variation of a fixed blade was represented. Personally, I took one of these kabar D2 extreme's because after way too much time over thinking it I just figured kabars have been working long enough I'd just buy whatever the best model out at the time was. Back then these were close to $200. https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1281

What I absolutely loved about that knife, was the nylon sheath had a pocket that was perfect for a multitool. I had a gerber back then and between the kabar and the multitool I fixed a lot of field issues. I didn't care for the D2 steel though because it's tough to get a good edge on with a stone. If you've got your special at home kit with whatever you want that's great, but in the field I would either chose something in 1095 or fasten a small diamond sharpener to the sheath.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I can only speak to my old Army unit in '03. We were part of the invasion and for the most part the bayonets stayed in the rear. Some guys carried pocket knives, about every variation of a fixed blade was represented. Personally, I took one of these kabar D2 extreme's because after way too much time over thinking it I just figured kabars have been working long enough I'd just buy whatever the best model out at the time was. Back then these were close to $200. https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1281

What I absolutely loved about that knife, was the nylon sheath had a pocket that was perfect for a multitool. I had a gerber back then and between the kabar and the multitool I fixed a lot of field issues. I didn't care for the D2 steel though because it's tough to get a good edge on with a stone. If you've got your special at home kit with whatever you want that's great, but in the field I would either chose something in 1095 or fasten a small diamond sharpener to the sheath.
    Both of mine bought Kabars at SOI, for my Thing 1's first deployment his gfather gave him his Gerber MK2.
    With Thing 2's first I gave him my Gerber MK 2. Its in the picture on the left.
    My Dads is from the 60's and mine is from the 70's.

Top Bottom