• ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The original American AK.

personally I liked it better than the mini-14 of the same time period. Sadly both found new homes over the years. Both were solid with the mini 30 being a bit more accurate for plinking when the barrel heated up. The mini 14 shot the first three shoots well. Then opened up in grouping. The mini30 was not as tight grouping but did not fall off as the barrel heated up.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    there's a thread about this somewhere down below.

I was a big fan, and still am. Just haven't shot it in a while.

The big advantage I think over the AK was the ability to mount an optic. Range for hunting is probably limited to 150-200, but with irons that's a far distance.

You do have some issues with reliable steel case ammo primer striking, but I think that's only with cheap of the cheap stuff.

Accuracy issues are overblown with the newer models. 2-3 MOA for me, not trying all that hard. Can hit man size targets all day at 200 yards. I don't see much else you could want in a fun rifle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The original American AK.

personally I liked it better than the mini-14 of the same time period. Sadly both found new homes over the years. Both were solid with the mini 30 being a bit more accurate for plinking when the barrel heated up. The mini 14 shot the first three shoots well. Then opened up in grouping. The mini30 was not as tight grouping but did not fall off as the barrel heated up.
    This explains why The A Team could never actually hit the bad guys and could only hit cars, buildings, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But on a serious note, I think it was Greg Ellifritz did a write up on these two rifles. Biggest hangup he had is reliability (or lack thereof) and inability to self repair. (or aftermarket parts to enhance them like an AR)

Your AR breaks? Go buy one of 50 versions of the part from thousands of sellers. Your Ruger breaks? Gotta send it back for service and wait; They wont even sell you the repair part to DIY.

But I do like the look and for a while considered buying one... until I handled one at a store and realized unless I'm careful, my support thumb tends to land on the edge of that bumped out bit of the heat shield and just isnt comfy to hold. I'd rather save my pennies for a Springfield M1A over a 30.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    But on a serious note, I think it was Greg Ellifritz did a write up on these two rifles. Biggest hangup he had is reliability (or lack thereof) and inability to self repair. (or aftermarket parts to enhance them like an AR)

Your AR breaks? Go buy one of 50 versions of the part from thousands of sellers. Your Ruger breaks? Gotta send it back for service and wait; They wont even sell you the repair part to DIY.

But I do like the look and for a while considered buying one... until I handled one at a store and realized unless I'm careful, my support thumb tends to land on the edge of that bumped out bit of the heat shield and just isnt comfy to hold. I'd rather save my pennies for a Springfield M1A over a 30.
    Yeah aftermarket parts were really the downfall.

I wouldn't call the M1A an alternative to the mini though. 308 v 762x39 isn't really a comparison. Both have different capabilities.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah aftermarket parts were really the downfall.

I wouldn't call the M1A an alternative to the mini though. 308 v 762x39 isn't really a comparison. Both have different capabilities.
    Sorry, didnt mean to equate the two as exact equals. Just if I'm going 30 cal, I'm going big. :):

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I've got a staynless mini 30 Ranch at least 20 years old that's never been shot cause of all I read here of it's shortcomings and my fear of failure. Should that have been in purple?

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I've got a staynless mini 30 Ranch at least 20 years old that's never been shot cause of all I read here of it's shortcomings and my fear of failure. Should that have been in purple?
    Wow, you've never shot it? I couldn't resist that long. Have always wanted one and since I've already got an AK...it's what I call "caliber justification".

Here's the tactic:

I tell my wife: "See honey? It shoot the SAME ammo that I already have so I didn't have to buy DIFFERENT ammo!" Yep, caliber justification. Just like my other favorite one I use ALL the time: "Magazine Justification". "See? This one uses Glock mags too..so I didn't have to BUY any new mags...I can just use it with the ones I already have!" Try it...it works!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Wow, you've never shot it? I couldn't resist that long. Have always wanted one and since I've already got an AK...it's what I call "caliber justification".

Here's the tactic:

I tell my wife: "See honey? It shoot the SAME ammo that I already have so I didn't have to buy DIFFERENT ammo!" Yep, caliber justification. Just like my other favorite one I use ALL the time: "Magazine Justification". "See? This one uses Glock mags too..so I didn't have to BUY any new mags...I can just use it with the ones I already have!" Try it...it works!

My brother has one like it and even older than that that hasn't been fired also. But it does have the Indiana State Police medallion in the stock...

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've had my stainless 189 series Mini 30 for over twenty years now. Had the occasional misfire with Chinese/Russian steel cased ammo (which I bought by the 1/4 pallet back when it was dirt-cheap) at first. Swapped the hammer spring for an extra power Wolff unit and haven't had any since. Am in the process of seeing if AllenM can help me get the Choate flash hider/front sight I've had for over a decade on it. After that's done I'll install the Accu-Strut and see if the scuttlebutt about such a combo tightening groups and curing hot barrel flyers is a real thing.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd advise against using any of the ruger minis in a serious capacity. AR15s may be boring, but if they're made right they work and the average person probably isn't going to get enough of a round count to have to replace any parts.

Minis are more of a commercial consumer good kind of firearm. Fine for what it is, but you're dealing with a completely proprietary firearm with its own unique parts and magazines. Good for the occasional coyote or range visit, sub-optimal for self defense or life and liberty.

They're cool guns conceptually, though, especially the mini-30. But now with the russian ammo imports being cut off, I'm not so sure there's much good reason to go that route over a 300 blackout if they still make those.

Minis have also been kind of stupidly expensive for what they are for a lot of years now. At some of the recent prices, it'd be hard to justify not just getting its older brother, an M1A. Springfields may be kind of iffy as far as quality goes, but at least standardized GI parts can be installed in them.

Top Bottom