• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I know that post offices have been the subject of much discussion on whether or not it is considered a federal building that does not allow CC. However, without really thinking, I forgot to remove my CCW before I went in. It dawned on me as I was going in the front door and there were some sort of detectors you have to walk through. They did not go off audibley, so they are either silent, or they are to keep you from walking out with something that has a security RFID. Anyone know the answer to this?

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    metal detectors at a post office would be pointless as you can ship and receive metal stuff, and many of us do. MAYBE explosive sniffers but I doubt it. Could just be some loss prevention thing.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They are almost certainly RFID detectors. Many post offices have merchandise (other than boxes and envelopes) on sale in the lobby. I would be astonished to learn they were metal detectors and absolutely floored to learn they were bomb-sniffers.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know that post offices have been the subject of much discussion on whether or not it is considered a federal building that does not allow CC

It is a federal misdemeanor to carry a pistol into a post office, CC or OC.

§ 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

United States Code: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

However, without really thinking, I forgot to remove my CCW before I went in.

People forget they have guns on them. Don't forget next time.

Anyone know the answer to this?

It depends.

Some post offices have metal detectors such as downtown Lafayette's building which also serves as a federal courthouse.

Some post offices merely have RFID detectors just like Wal-green's.

Which post office was it?

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Did it look like this:
    images

or this?
    images

The first is a metal detector. They all have a ceiling built in, as part of the detector.

The second is an RFID scanner. Normally used for loss/theft prevention.

I'm guessing the second. I think our post office has them as well, though I haven't been inside in years.

The USPS started using RFID to track vehicles and other items. I'd bet these are just to keep post office property from walking out the front door.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    It was an RFID.

However, I read somewhere on here that there is some dispute on whether a post office was considered a federal building. I can't imagine it would not be. But I did read it on here somewhere.

With the history of some "Going Postal" I can see how it would be strictly prohibited anyhow!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

United States Code: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Since I legally carry my firearm for self defense purposes and I am there to legally mail a letter, this one may get you off. I will not be the test subject though and I would not encourage others to do so.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Since I legally carry my firearm for self defense purposes and I am there to legally mail a letter, this one may get you off. I will not be the test subject though and I would not encourage others to do so.

And yes, that is what I was referring to originally, about there being some debate.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It was an RFID.

However, I read somewhere on here that there is some dispute on whether a post office was considered a federal building. I can't imagine it would not be. But I did read it on here somewhere.

With the history of some "Going Postal" I can see how it would be strictly prohibited anyhow!

Question, with the history of "Going Postal", how could banning firearms in post offices stop someone from "going postal"? I am sure if someone with a firearm entered the post office with the intent on shooting people, and saw a sign saying no firearms allowed, it would make them change their mind.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Question, with the history of "Going Postal", how could banning firearms in post offices stop someone from "going postal"? I am sure if someone with a firearm entered the post office with the intent on shooting people, and saw a sign saying no firearms allowed, it would make them change their mind.

Ahhhh, but you are mistaking common sense with reactionary legistlating.

Happens all the time (the reactionary legistlating, no your mistaken common sense ;))

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

I completely agree with MrsGungho on this one. It's specifically exempted.

Now, I probably wouldn't walk in there with a 12 gauge slung over my shoulder to check my PO box as I'm headed out to the deer stand, but it's perfectly legal to do so.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If it is illegal to possess firearms in a post office, then how can they be legally shipped through the mail? FFLs ship through the USPS all of the time. When I got my Garand from the DCM it was mailed to me and I had to go into the post office to sign for it. How could that be legal?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Is there a definition of "lawful purpose" in the code? Not doubting you, it is just hard to to understand how shipping something to an individual at a place where s/he is legally prohibited from possessing it is legal. Or how the exercising of a constitutional right is not a lawful purpose. But then, I'm using logic and we are talking about federal law. Maybe that's why I'm confused.

Last edited:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN

It depends.

Some post offices have metal detectors such as downtown Lafayette's building which also serves as a federal courthouse.

Except for somehow, somewhere in the Post Office in Columbus, IN... where they sell long guns, handguns and knives... as well as ammo. :dunno:

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado

It depends.

Can you find something that defines a post office as a federal facility? I'm not saying it isn't but I've never seen a post office defined as such in code.

This.. Carrying legally on a LTCH is lawful.

Your problem is that the feds do not see self-defense/personal protection as a lawful purpose.*

*Not saying that it is right, just that the feds don't.
    Can you site this please? I've never seen a list of what defines a lawful purpose. Nor have I seen anything that states carrying for self defense is not a lawful purpose.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I've never seen a list of what defines a lawful purpose. Nor have I seen anything that states carrying for self defense is not a lawful purpose.

Let me take you one further in our ever growing laws with no meaning. Remember how I like to rub ATF about the "sporting purpose" clause of the second amendment? To date they have yet to define what "sporting purpose" is other than say you cannot have more than 10 imported parts in a long gun to maintain it's "sporting purpose".

Again with the post offices, we have undefined "laws".

So a funny story about my post office. There I was chatting with the person selling me stamps and taking my special delivery package when the buzzer at the RF device at the door goes off. We both look to see your typical little old lady standing in bewilderment. The postal worker just smiled and waved her through. I left laughing because my Kahr PM9 that was securely in my pocket didn't set the device off!

Top Bottom