Metal Airsoft rifles - What is a good brand?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    It really depends on the style of gun he wants. There are some top brands but my experience is there are "best brands" based off style...also several will make both metal and "plastic" guns. Example Classic Army makes a great M4 style metal gun (one of the best) but a horrible plastic version.

The best guns are electric...so plan a charger and battery.

Also do not get a blow back version...just more stuff to break.

check out evike.com. Do you have a budget in mind I can give you some ideas...I use mine for realistic garage practice during the winter and mil-sim during the summer so I want ones that are the closest to my real weapons.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I CAN!!! I freaking LOVE airsoft! Depending on how much you are willing to drop on him, KWA makes the BEST overall M4's. I personally have one. It's got a good weight, the internals will last forever, and its strong/accurate! I do not know if this is against the forum rules, but airsoftGI has great selections. They do a lot of custom builds and stuff. ECHO1 also makes quality products

I also agree with the above statement, try and avoid blow back versions of rifles

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My son's into that stuff, and can't seem to find one that lasts more than a few weeks. He's an Evike guy, I recognize that name; I'll have to check out KWA.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I'll spend $150. He really, really wants an MP5K, but the good one are over $200. I just can't see paying as much as a good 22lr rifle.

Oh yea, I've definitely decided on AEG. Must have .20 airsoft bb's too, because everything else is not as good, right?

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    My son's into that stuff, and can't seem to find one that lasts more than a few weeks. He's an Evike guy, I recognize that name; I'll have to check out KWA.
    KWA was known for their blowback gas powered pistols, so when they entered into the AEG market, everyone thought for sure they would suck!! Boy were they wrong!! KWA took the market by storm! Super quality products!

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I've been into airsoft off and on for 10+ years, most recently out 3 years ago (for more money for the real stuff :D). A friend purchased a KWA SR5 and that thing was a BEAST. I'd bought an ECHO 1 AK74-SU and was impressed with everything but accuracy.

Honestly not sure you can get quality for $150, most metal MP5 body kits cost that, without the guts. Entry level, you can't go wrong with ECHO 1 or JG (jing gong). However I won't swear either of those companies make an MP5k - Tokyo Marui is the only reputable brand I know of making those in an AEG.

I'd recommend visiting Crazy Cromags Airsoft Emporium . Order online or contact Dr_Die (the proprietors call sign) and running up to Huntington for some good ol' hands on selection. I can't recommend him or his business highly enough. I've bought 2 AEG's + all needed accessories and a ton of airsoft gear from him (all CONDOR but held up for my airsofting needs.) Customer service is absolutely stellar, A+

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I just ordered a Tokyo Marui 1911 MEU hoping to get some realistic training in - I'll have to contact the guy in Huntington to make modifications if it turns out I need some. I wasn't looking at rifles, but I hear that for airsoft games only, the electric guns are the most liked. They just don't operate much like the real thing, unfortunately.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I'll spend $150. He really, really wants an MP5K, but the good one are over $200. I just can't see paying as much as a good 22lr rifle.

Oh yea, I've definitely decided on AEG. Must have .20 airsoft bb's too, because everything else is not as good, right?

It depends on the FPS of the gun. I HAVE to use .25/.28 gram pellets in my M4 because i bought it used, but it was upgraded like crazy! Anything below .25 warps and is inaccurate. With the .28's, you can feel the hit at 200 ft, and boy, do i mean feel it! Haha!

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA

Shwaisey

Plinker
    Apr 11, 2011
    Read around, 80% of airsoft guns are not reliable.

airsoft-indiana.com
    Main Index - AS-R Review Database

Both of those sites will give you solid unbiased reviews.
    I have been airsofting and playing around with these toys for 7+ years and attending Mil-sim games for 5+

I personally prefer G&P brand AEG's

Personal experience has led me to believe Classic Army (CA), ICS, WE (gas blow backs) don't last very long.

Evike and Airsplat is very cheap and has a wide array of parts but you are SOL when you need customer service.
    Asgi is a little more expensive but has very good customer service.

Happy hunting!

Top Bottom