Memorial Day 2021, remembering the fallen.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Let's all take a moment to remember and honor the fallen soldiers who gave their lives for our freedom.
    It is almost Memorial Day in the US, we're also a week away from D-Day (June 6), a very important day in France, especially in Normandy where I live.

Feel free to add pictures, thoughts and stories to this thread.

DSCF2776.jpg

The Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, overlooking Omaha Beach.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Years ago a British artist came up with a project called Fallen 9000, to commemorate the Allied soldiers who died on D-Day beaches in Normandy.

9,000 is the estimated number of Allied casualties on June 6th 1944.

It's hard to picture such a large number when it comes to human lives lost in a single days.

The project's goal was to have the shape of 9,000 bodies etched in the sand of the D-Day beaches.

It took hundreds of local volunteers.

sand-4.jpeg

fallen-9000-5%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Normandy-Soldiers.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well said, Sir!

I always appreciate when you share pics of Normandy and northern France here.

Thank you.
    Sadly this year much of the D-Day events have been canceled due to COVID here.

There will be small events at local cemeteries but no massive crowds, parachute jumps, no vets visiting etc.

Usually at this time of the year we see lots of WW2 vehicles from all around Europe, they all come to Normandy to celebrate.

I haven't seen any so far, just like last year.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thank you for this.
    The only way for them to be truly forgotten is to not say their names. Remember those who have given their lives for this great country.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They recently buried a US WW2 soldier in the Normandy American Cemetery, in 2018.

2018-06-20_095711.png

Before that date the latest burial was in 1956.

Julius Pieper, from South Dakota.
    He died at age 19, in 1944 but his body was just recently identified 74 years later.
    He was previously buried in an unmarked grave in Belgium.

He was moved and buried next to his twin brother who died the same day.
    They both served on the same ship.

tombes.jpg

His ship was sunken by a German mine.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    In addition to others that gave all, our family remembers two family members that did not return from WWII. The first is my grandmother’s older brother. His given name was Joseph but the family called him Bill. He was wounded in the battle of the Huertgen Forest (sp?) but returned to his unit in early 1945. He died in the battles around the Remagen Bridge.

e37cddaa200f75dfb332108862777c1b.jpg

The second family member is more distant but still remembered. His name was Anthony Piscitelli and he was a P38 pilot that died while strafing Coullemeire Airfield, near Paris in April 1944. He flew with the 343rd Figher Squadron, 55th Fighter Group and was flying a P38J with the squadron code CY-B. His squadron mates said that he continued the strafing run at extremely low altitude despite having an engine hit and on fire.
    5177c5b3a58f589be4f687665ce23fdf.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I have a POW/MIA bracelet, that I have been wearing for over ten years, Maj. Ronald Bond, shoot down date 30 Sept 1970, Laos. almost all those lost over Laos have never been recovered, or accounted for. 1982 in a field tent made into an all ranks club in South Korea, I was drinking with a Major, who flew in Vietnam, he said there were a number of times he had squadron mates shot down, he saw the deployed chutes, heard the rescue beacons when they got on the ground, yet they never were returned... I pray every day for a full accounting.... Til they come home.............

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Let's all take a moment to remember and honor the fallen soldiers who gave their lives for our freedom.
    It is almost Memorial Day in the US, we're also a week away from D-Day (June 6), a very important day in France, especially in Normandy where I live.

Feel free to add pictures, thoughts and stories to this thread.

DSCF2776.jpg

The Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, overlooking Omaha Beach.
    Thank you Sylvain!

Top Bottom