Mechanical Question Re: Ruger SP101, .327 Mag.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim2100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Hi

I just picked up my new Ruger SP101, .327 Mag. revolver this evening and was wondering if something is wrong. This is my my first firearm and am not at all familiar with the way it is built.
    A "Pin" (#50), that protrudes through the center of the cylinder rubs against the frame when the cylinder is closed after opening. It is leaving a mark or scratch as the cylinder moves back in place. Is this suppose to happen? It would seem to me that anything this well made should not scrape against another piece of metal.
    I think #56 is the star that has the pin go through that is rubbing against the frame as it closes.
    "#50 Center Pin Lock"
    "#56 Cylinder/Ejector Assembly"
    r-sp-101.gif

Thanks
    Jim

P.S.
    Any suggestions on what to rub the weapon down with after cleaning and ready to be stored or carried? Is it necessary to wipe it with a lube? I won't be firing it until the weather is warmer and I can go to a state gun range.
    I bought Break Free CLP and Hoppe's Elite gun Oil. Any suggestions would be gretly appreciated. That would help me do it right from the beginning.

Jim

Last edited:

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    personally i think he is talking about the spot where the extractor rod rubs against the reaer end of the cylinder opening when you open/close the cylinder........which my friend.....is perfectly natural! enjoy your new investment treat it well and you will recieve the same!

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    When I read the OP's question, I had the same thought as jfed85. Also, I concur that it is completely normal, if that's what it is.

A photograph would be helpful.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Makes sense. Normal for every Smith and Ruger I own. In fact, wait til you have an alloy frame revolver. That little pin will really gouge into the frame then!! ;)

Enjoy!

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Any suggestions on what to rub the weapon down with after cleaning and ready to be stored or carried?

You'll hear as many opinions on this as there are sphincters.

But, after I clean my firearms, I'll hose 'em down with WD40, let 'em sit for a few, then wipe off the excess.

You could do the same with Breakfree/CLP or any other gun oil, I imagine.

...a very light/thin coating to prevent corrosion...

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    p2130013fk3.jpg

I'm gonna assume you mean this mark... ^^^

That pin on the back of the cylinder is spring-loaded, and helps to lock the cylinder (along with the extractor rod) into place when it's closed.

There has to be some metal on metal contact, or it wouldn't function properly.

It's normal, broheem.

jim2100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks All !

I can say now that I freaked out when I saw those marks being made on my new shinny pistol. This is the first gun I have ever owned, and didn't want it to defective.
    So again Thanks to all that responded. But now the dilemma is this. When I called Ruger they said they have a known "cylinder problem" And that I can send it back for a refund or wait until they figure out a solution. they have no idea when that solution will be forth coming. Maybe a year she said. At age 66 I don't have years to wait.:noway:

Thanks Again to All

Jim
    Gary, In.

Still waiting for state to issue permit to carry. They are very slow it seems. I made the application 12/4/2008

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    As others have said, the mark on the recoil shield by the cylinder pin lock is completely normal.

As for what to wipe it before cleaning, CPL is perfect, just spray it on a rag and wipe away. If your gun is stainless, this isn't necessary.

As for what Ruger has said about there being a problem with the SP101 .327 Mag revolvers, it has nothing to do with the mark you've described, it appears that some of the .327 Magnum guns have grossly oversized chambers. This will make the revolver VERY unsafe to you and anyone around you if yours is defective. Unfortunately, the only way for you to personally figure this out is to shoot it or send it back. If I were in your position, I'd trade it in to Ruger for another caliber, say .357 Magnum. The SP101 is typically a very nice revolver, I have one in .357 Magnum and she's a fine revolver.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and its too bad your first gun is possibly defective.

Last edited:

jim2100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks

Well I have decided to send it back. If it does have a problem then I will get a refund, if not they will send it back. I really did want the gun. As I said earlier, I have also ordered the Ruger LCP.

Thanks
    JIm

Last edited:
    Top Bottom