• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I know this is a longshot but I am going to try anyway.Looking for a marlin .35 remington barrel , for a rifle I MIGHT decide to buy. But I want to have a barrel on standby if orig barrel is messed up. A new barrel is too much for what this rifle is.Any help would be appreciated.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I know this is a longshot but I am going to try anyway.Looking for a marlin .35 remington barrel , for a rifle I MIGHT decide to buy. But I want to have a barrel on standby if orig barrel is messed up. A new barrel is too much for what this rifle is.Any help would be appreciated.
    Just a curiosity, how would one mess up a bbl. on a 336 rem. In 35 cal? No issues just nosy?

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Just a curiosity, how would one mess up a bbl. on a 336 rem. In 35 cal? No issues just nosy?
    Well the guy was not carefull to clean gun when he got done for the day and let it sit in a damp closet , he was a bear hunter in the U.P. in michigan and used it regularly in hunting season and didnt clean bore or oil outside either.Well season got over and he didnt clean it and he was older and forgot to clean at end of season.He passed away and wife decided to clean house after a couple years and got it out of the closet to get rid of it. Well the outside barrel pitted at the crown on the outside and at crown it was pitted.The barrel/bore was grayish in bore not shiny. The guy that has it said he was going to go out EASTER weekend to shoot it and check for accuracy , he is supposed to let me know how it shoots as far as accuracy.NOT SURE what I am going to do , but I would like to bring back a old rifle and get the OLD TIMER back in the woods where it belongs. GONNA SEE HOWS IT GOING TO GO , BUT I AM REALISTIC ALSO. It might be scrap.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Well the guy was not carefull to clean gun when he got done for the day and let it sit in a damp closet , he was a bear hunter in the U.P. in michigan and used it regularly in hunting season and didnt clean bore or oil outside either.Well season got over and he didnt clean it and he was older and forgot to clean at end of season.He passed away and wife decided to clean house after a couple years and got it out of the closet to get rid of it. Well the outside barrel pitted at the crown on the outside and at crown it was pitted.The barrel/bore was grayish in bore not shiny. The guy that has it said he was going to go out EASTER weekend to shoot it and check for accuracy , he is supposed to let me know how it shoots as far as accuracy.NOT SURE what I am going to do , but I would like to bring back a old rifle and get the OLD TIMER back in the woods where it belongs. GONNA SEE HOWS IT GOING TO GO , BUT I AM REALISTIC ALSO. It might be scrap.
    Thanks for the reply, that’s a shame. Hope you can save it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Might just need a thorough cleaning and oiling. As a milsurp collector, I've seen some pretty nasty bores come back to life after a good cleaning. Even shooting it can help, followed by another cleaning. Minor pitting on the outside of the barrel isn't an issue unless the crown is really messed up.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Might just need a thorough cleaning and oiling. As a milsurp collector, I've seen some pretty nasty bores come back to life after a good cleaning. Even shooting it can help, followed by another cleaning. Minor pitting on the outside of the barrel isn't an issue unless the crown is really messed up.
    You know the barrel has a grayish look at crown , like a flat gray color ? Does that mean something . Maybe you have a idea? Waiting to hear from the guy that has it.Supposed to shoot it easter weekend and let me know how it shoots.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You know the barrel has a grayish look at crown , like a flat gray color ? Does that mean something . Maybe you have a idea? Waiting to hear from the guy that has it.Supposed to shoot it easter weekend and let me know how it shoots.
    Hard to say without seeing it. Could be powder residue if it wasn't cleaned after it was last shot.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Remember the crown can be touched up. I had a 7X57 Mauser that the barrel was lightly pitted the full length, looked like water marks. Shot well but was a bear to clean. Mosin are notorious for dark pitted bores that often shoot well.<><Duce

Top Bottom