• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Northeast Indy
    While I can't verify exactly what dross says... I know while helping to buy our company's insurance having various policies (i.e. drug free workplace, firearms, etc.) in place gains us significant discounts... We currently pay approx. $1.2M in total premiums, without we would be closer to $2M.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    While I can't verify exactly what dross says... I know while helping to buy our company's insurance having various policies (i.e. drug free workplace, firearms, etc.) in place gains us significant discounts... We currently pay approx. $1.2M in total premiums, without we would be closer to $2M.

Thanks for your input! Same questions I asked him (Well, almost the same.)

From which ins. cos. were you told this and were you in Indiana at the time?

Blessings,
    Bill

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Lies! Lies! For the sake of all that is holy, please, please stop spreading your idiotic lies! No way that is true. I know, because I post on internet forums.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    It would seem that the proper course of action would be to post a sign saying "No unlawfully carried firearms permitted." then.

Posted as it sounds like it is, it's begging for someone to use it against one of us.

Dross, from which insurance companies were you told this, and were you in IN or CO at the time?

Blessings,
    Bill

Sorry, I only just now saw your question. This was in Colorado, but so many insurance companies are nationwide that corporate policies probably trump the local state offices, though I don't know that for fact.

Oh, and as for the specific companies, I don't remember. This was a few years ago. My only point in bringing this up (multiple times) is that no firearms MIGHT be the issue with the policy, and also that there are often forces at work that have nothing to do with philosophy.

kpt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Northeast Indy

Blessings,
    Bill

We are a nationwide company with three primary offices (IN, TX and AZ).
    This year we received quotes from Liberty Mutual, Zurich, Travelers and Chartis (former AIG)... I believe all had similar offers of "discounts" for various policies.
    (Very similar to "discounts" on your car/homeowners insurance for alarms and safety devices, etc.) Over the past year we have upgrade our building entrance security systems and various IT security systems. We received approximately $20k in further "discounts" over last year's policy by implementing these devices/programs. (Which is really a net of $12k due to other policy increases.)
    The real "Catch 22" is the requirements of policies for them to be effective...
    We were required to train everyone on the use of the new systems and have it documented. Had we not done this our policies would have been void should we have needed them.
    Everyone should take the opportunity to read the requirements of their home owner's policy... some require that you have specific things... like an operable fire extinguisher in the kitchen... if not and you file a claim they can void your policy. (I'm not saying that WILL happen, I'm just saying it CAN happen.):twocents:
    Happy reading!!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Again, just want to point out that the issue may be the ability to purchase liability insurance.

I know of some pro gun businesses here in Colorado that ban guns at work because their liability insurance requires it.

Really? Ask them to show you. I see you post that same idiotic line everywhere.

There are hundreds of different insurance companies. I've never seen a single one require that (except at a gun show) in IN, FL, PA, AZ, GA, TN or KY. Is it possible in CA thats the case? Who knows. I seriously doubt it's the case in CO and I KNOW it's not here in Indiana.

Stop propagating lies.

Blessings,
    Bill

Sorry, I only just now saw your question. This was in Colorado, but so many insurance companies are nationwide that corporate policies probably trump the local state offices, though I don't know that for fact.

Oh, and as for the specific companies, I don't remember. This was a few years ago. My only point in bringing this up (multiple times) is that no firearms MIGHT be the issue with the policy, and also that there are often forces at work that have nothing to do with philosophy.

We are a nationwide company with three primary offices (IN, TX and AZ).
    This year we received quotes from Liberty Mutual, Zurich, Travelers and Chartis (former AIG)... I believe all had similar offers of "discounts" for various policies.
    (Very similar to "discounts" on your car/homeowners insurance for alarms and safety devices, etc.) Over the past year we have upgrade our building entrance security systems and various IT security systems. We received approximately $20k in further "discounts" over last year's policy by implementing these devices/programs. (Which is really a net of $12k due to other policy increases.)
    The real "Catch 22" is the requirements of policies for them to be effective...
    We were required to train everyone on the use of the new systems and have it documented. Had we not done this our policies would have been void should we have needed them.
    Everyone should take the opportunity to read the requirements of their home owner's policy... some require that you have specific things... like an operable fire extinguisher in the kitchen... if not and you file a claim they can void your policy. (I'm not saying that WILL happen, I'm just saying it CAN happen.):twocents:
    Happy reading!!

Prometheus:

I have wondered the same thing as you. On your suggestion, I asked this at a range I used to go to once. I don't recall if they gave me a company name or not, but here, kpt has given us not one but four different companies. Personally, if true (and I have absolutely no reason to think he's not being truthful,) it would seem to me that we have now four companies to not use. You made the point that there are many companies and I think we should choose to patronize those who do not have such requirements and not only tell the others why they were not chosen but tell the ones we do consider that that is what kept them in the "running" to be selected. I'll also ask you which companies you've talked to specifically about insurance for a business that did not require "no guns" policies in that business.

Understand, please that my intention here is not to call you out and/or prove you wrong but rather to help us steer business toward companies that are 2A/RKBA friendly.

Blessings,
    Bill

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I didn't see any Anti-Gun signs at the State fair Wednesday.

State Fair and the now over with Marion County fair are two different things.

Also, the rules prohibiting firearms at the State Fair are specifically written into the State Fair Administrative Code. Signs, whether present or not, don't matter in this instance.

-J-

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Bumping because this is the 1st thread on a Google search. Signs are still up here at the Marion co fair. Looking for clarification since the new state laws last year. I'm guessing if the signs are valid that this is a private event and not .gov.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yup, I was in there for the swap meet last month. Just smirked at their sign as I cc'd! I wonder if they realize how close they came to absolutely nothing happening as a result of my cc?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Patrons? Have you seen the people working the rides at these types of venues?

Background checks and preemployment and random drug testing are a standard in the present carnival industry and you would't believe it but they have safety training and even safety meetings.

No required background checks , drug tests or safety training on those walking through the gate though.:D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    A county fair that's a private event? I think not. Open carry and sue under 35-47-11.1 the first wonks who hassle you for it.

Not all county fairs in Indiana are run by the county. Some are outsourced to private organizations which run them on behalf of the county. In those cases while the sign still has no weight in law they (the county fait reps) can ask you to leave and if you don't you are treaspasing and then the cops come and arrest you for treaspa..

Top Bottom