• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I've recently started trying my hand at making kydex holsters. Pretty basic set up, but making Okay quality holsters. My question here is where do you guys go for holster supplies, I.E. clips and whatnot. Also do you have any tips on how to prep your gun for the press? I don't have any blue guns at the moment. I just use my actual gun

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I've recently started trying my hand at making kydex holsters. Pretty basic set up, but making Okay quality holsters. My question here is where do you guys go for holster supplies, I.E. clips and whatnot. Also do you have any tips on how to prep your gun for the press? I don't have any blue guns at the moment. I just use my actual gun

knifekits.com
    index fastener.com
    DIY Holster
    RC Holster Supply
    Blue Gun Store
    Just to name some of the bigger ones.

There are a few others. The kydex "DIY" holster industry has exploded in the last couple of years and you can literally buy anything and everything you'll ever need. Hell you can even buy pre pressed butterfly shells and fold them yourself now. Check out Login Required | KydexPro.com as well as PhillyEDC's YouTube channel. He's kind of the one that got all the DIYers going and has some great videos if you're just starting out.

As far as prepping a real gun, it's kind of dependent on the actual firearm but a few rules of thumb are to put a few layers of tape over the frame of the gun. I usually do two of painters tape and one of silver HVAC tape. Next is to block out any "negative" space, i.e. The ejection port and trigger guard and also any rails that are really deep. You don't want the kydex to have anything to grab on to per se. It will take practice to figure out what needs to be blocked out and how much. That also goes for any take down or slide stop levers. Also make sure that you have a loaded mag in the mag well when you press, you can distort the mag well if you don't. Once the gun is set up the biggest thing for getting good results is heat, try and press around 330-340. If your foam is good you'll get great definition.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    knifekits.com
    index fastener.com
    DIY Holster
    RC Holster Supply
    Blue Gun Store

There are a few others. The kydex "DIY" holster industry has exploded in the last couple of years and you can literally buy anything and everything you'll ever need. Hell you can even buy pre pressed butterfly shells and fold them yourself now. Check out Login Required | KydexPro.com as well as PhillyEDC's YouTube channel. He's kind of the one that got all the DIYers going and has some great videos if you're just starting out.

As far as prepping a real gun, it's kind of dependent on the actual firearm but a few rules of thumb are to put a few layers of tape over the frame of the gun. I usually do two of painters tape and one of silver HVAC tape. Next is to block out any "negative" space, i.e. The ejection port and trigger guard and also any rails that are really deep. You don't want the kydex to have anything to grab on to per se. It will take practice to figure out what needs to be blocked out and how much. That also goes for any take down or slide stop levers. Also make sure that you have a loaded mag in the mag well when you press, you can distort the mag well if you don't. Once the gun is set up the biggest thing for getting good results is heat, try and press around 330-340. If your foam is good you'll get great definition.

All of this ^^^^^^. Pay special attention to what he says about the mag well. Having boogered up a couple of guns when I was getting started, I can say that is a very real concern. I also heat .080 kydex to 330-350.

mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I think I may try upping the heat again. I originally started around 325 and was getting awesome definition with anti fatigue mats, but wasn't prepping the ejection port correctly and was retaining TOO much around there. Thanks for the tips.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I think I may try upping the heat again. I originally started around 325 and was getting awesome definition with anti fatigue mats, but wasn't prepping the ejection port correctly and was retaining TOO much around there. Thanks for the tips.

No problem. Also I forgot to mention adding a sight channel, not sure if you're doing that or not. I've got an assortment of dowell rods for that. For blocking, I use an assortment of popsicle sticks, pieces of leather, 1/4 plywood, hot glue, and clay, depending on the application. For my trigger guards I usually just use a piece of silver tape and that gives me the definition that I want without getting too deep or not deep enough to get that kydexy click. How are you checking your heat? I'd suggest getting an infrared thermometer.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    knifekits.com
    index fastener.com
    DIY Holster
    RC Holster Supply
    Blue Gun Store

Super cool of you to give all of this info out. :yesway:

mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I'm just going by the Dial on my toaster oven haha. I block out the sight channel with a variance of Allen keys I have laying around. I appreciate the tip on silver tape though, I'll have to check that out. Do you have any pics of holsters you've completed that you'd be willing to share?

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Super cool of you to give all of this info out. :yesway:

Happy to help.

I'm just going by the Dial on my toaster oven haha. I block out the sight channel with a variance of Allen keys I have laying around. I appreciate the tip on silver tape though, I'll have to check that out. Do you have any pics of holsters you've completed that you'd be willing to share?

There are a boatload in the link in my signature, haven't updated that thread in a while though.

mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    That's awesome. I assume you make them as a source of income? I'd like to, but I'm not confident enough in my skills, nor is my set up anywhere near whats necessary to produce that kind of quality ha

mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    rimg.php

How do you get this most excellent cant?

Top Bottom