• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    i wanted to start a discussion on low end automatic shotguns for backyard trap shooting. all my years of shooting, i've never owned a 12ga. i dont want to spend a lot because i am just shooting some clays from a hand thrower in my backyard for fun. i want an automatic for sure. i have been looking at these three guns...
    stoeger 2000
    cz 712
    mossberg 930

i have one question in particular. what dictates whether i get a 26" or 28" bbl?

any other opinions, comments or recomendations for when i'm out shopping would be much appreciated.
    thanks!
    adam

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Stoeger is basically a low-end Bebelli. It uses their Inertia system. The CZ and Mossberg are gas operated guns. I prefer a gas operated gun over the inertia system guns. Gas guns have the possibility of getting dirtier but i feel its a better design. Look at a used 1100 or 1187 or a browning.

What is the price limit?

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    Stoeger is basically a low-end Bebelli. It uses their Inertia system. The CZ and Mossberg are gas operated guns. I prefer a gas operated gun over the inertia system guns. Gas guns have the possibility of getting dirtier but i feel its a better design. Look at a used 1100 or 1187 or a browning.

What is the price limit?

like to stay under 400

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    i wanted to start a discussion on low end automatic shotguns for backyard trap shooting. all my years of shooting, i've never owned a 12ga. i dont want to spend a lot because i am just shooting some clays from a hand thrower in my backyard for fun. i want an automatic for sure. i have been looking at these three guns...
    stoeger 2000
    cz 712
    mossberg 930

i have one question in particular. what dictates whether i get a 26" or 28" bbl?

any other opinions, comments or recomendations for when i'm out shopping would be much appreciated.
    thanks!
    adam

And we wonder where the un informed sheep get their misinformation from :dunno:

:popcorn:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I seriously doubt he means auto. more like semi auto I hope. And good luck with the under $400 thing.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    The more I shoot the Mossberg 930 series, the more I like them. If I were in the market for an semi-auto shotgun in that price range, that is what I would buy - specifically the Mossberg 930 SPX.

Chkline

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Anderson
    Nice thread. This is also a rifle type that I would like to add to my collection. I've seen quite a few semi auto shot guns recently. What is everyones impression on what guage? Do you really need a 12 guage, or will a 20 get the job done?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Nice thread. This is also a rifle type that I would like to add to my collection. I've seen quite a few semi auto shot guns recently. What is everyones impression on what guage? Do you really need a 12 guage, or will a 20 get the job done?

The shotgun I began shooting skeet with, and shot more than any throughout the course of my life, was a Benelli 20 gauge - and it worked just fine. 20 gauges are generally less forgiving if you do not hit the clay center of mass, but in some instances it can make it more fun - for instance when you want to hit the clay and then pick off pieces that break off.

My girlfriend hates shooting a 12 gauge for an extended period of time, but does not mind a 20 gauge as much - so it makes a big difference to her.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Out of what you listed, I'd go with the CZ 712 IF you can find one in your price range. I've been looking for a lightly used CZ 712 (or 912) for a reasonable price for a little over a year. No luck here.

I did pick up an H&R Excell Auto 5 from Walmart. I really like it for the money, it was under $330 after tax. Preforms better than a friends high $$$ Remington (that has been back to Remington for cutting hulls, double feeds, fte, and another issue...still not fixed).

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    out of the ones you listed Mossberg 930. Just because it will probably be the only one you can find on the shelf somwhere.

Ignore the Stogers. They may look like a Benelli but they sure are not a Benelli.

My buddy had one. It wouldnt even empty the tube w/o atleast one malfuntion of some kind.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    out of the ones you listed Mossberg 930. Just because it will probably be the only one you can find on the shelf somwhere.

Ignore the Stogers. They may look like a Benelli but they sure are not a Benelli.

My buddy had one. It wouldnt even empty the tube w/o atleast one malfuntion of some kind.

Was it one of the early Stoegers? From what I've read the break it was 100-200 heavier loads. From the shotgun boards I've been on, I've read about some of the Benellis having the same issues...so maybe they really are more like a Benelli?

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    If you look around you can pick up a Winchester 1400 for around $200 to $250. I've seen Remington 1100's & 11-87's for around $300. I would look for a used one verse a new one.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    like to stay under 400
    Walk away and save your money. In late January like always there will be guns for sale only x4 because it is an election year and the recent shooting so many people are right now spending too much money on guns.

Many of those guns or other less wanted guns will be on the market in January. Buy a quality used gun in the $500+ range over a POS fail-o-matic for $400. There is nothing worse than a semi-auto POS gun turned into a bolt action gun because it fails on every shot.

A used gun that originally cost $700-$1000 new will beat any new cheap gun. You don't have to spend $500 either to get one.

The only cheap gun new worth a damn are the Franchi's and they are not overly cheap, just cheaper than a Beretta or Benelli.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    My GF started on a Beretta 303 20 gauge, my Daughter on a Benelli M2 20 gauge. My GF is so competitive that she has now moved up to a 12 gauge for sporting clays because in her mind until she beats me, she is no good. Good luck to her on that, but a 12 gauge with light loads does have less recoil then a 20 gauge that is 2lbs lighter shooting the same 7/8 ounce load.

The past two years I went on a 20 gauge kick and started using either of the guns above for a change of pace. 20's are plenty of fun as long as you understand you have a bit of a handicap versus using a 12.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Was it one of the early Stoegers? From what I've read the break it was 100-200 heavier loads. From the shotgun boards I've been on, I've read about some of the Benellis having the same issues...so maybe they really are more like a Benelli?

I really dont know if was an early or later Stoeger. My buddy bought it used from a guy at the 1500 a few years ago. He claimed he never shot it and it did look LNIB. We were using target loads and bird shot so maybe it did need heavier loads. All I know is my FN SLP MK1 has spoiled me. Im not used to semi-auto shotguns malfunctioning.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom