Love story of the Savage Muzzleloader! What do you have?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M2A2

Shooter
    Nov 26, 2010
    Jasper county
    I have a Savage ML10.. I cant say enough good things about this weapon. It's a bone crusher. It's a powerful, accurate,bad boy. It shoot smokeless powder. Randy wakeman has a outstanding web site all about this rifle.The key to this gun is the bullet! I shoot the Barnes orignal 300 gr 45-70 bullet.This is not a wimpy pistol bullet. The trigger on the rifle is OUTSTANDING! accutrigger. Very nice.Heres the bullet drop:
    25 to 100 yards dead on
    150 yards 4" low
    220 yards 9 " low
    I am shooting barnes orignal .458 spitzer soft points and 5744 powder mmp sabots 50x458 orange.I think this is my 4 th seasons with this gun. I carry it durning shotgun as well. Anything else I feel undergunned.. :ar15:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Wow! And to think, I just got an email today on the subject of Savage muzzleloaders and using smokeless powder. A friend forwarded it to me and it had pictures of one that blew up because the person used smokeless powder in it. (my guess is they used the same amount of smokeless powder as they would Pyrodex)

Either way, most muzzleloaders dont recommend smokeless powder. In fact, Savage is the only one that I know of who does. I'm not sure I would want to try it.

muzlelaoader3.jpg

muzzle4jpg.jpg

muzzle8.jpg

Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Wow! And to think, I just got an email today on the subject of Savage muzzleloaders and using smokeless powder. A friend forwarded it to me and it had pictures of one that blew up because the person used smokeless powder in it. (my guess is they used the same amount of smokeless powder as they would Pyrodex)

Either way, most muzzleloaders dont recommend smokeless powder. In fact, Savage is the only one that I know of who does. I'm not sure I would want to try it.

muzlelaoader3.jpg

muzzle4jpg.jpg

muzzle8.jpg

How to Blow Up a Savage 10ML-II

there have only been 3 cases of the Savage 10-ML going KBoom! and 2 of them were the same guy, a guy who used to work for Savage and had a bad falling out...

I think savage might be dropping it because of poor sales.. it is several hundred dollars more than other ML guns & some stores don't want to carry it because they think it still has to be transfered via FFL..

M2A2

Shooter
    Nov 26, 2010
    Jasper county
    You know savage never really pushed this mzzle loader... Its HEAVY DUTY RIFLE.I saw that gore once before.. Follow directions..keep your hand.

sp3worker

Expert
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Mine was a POS. I like Savages and still have a few, but my 10-ML was all over the place. Didn't matter if it was smokeless, pyrodex or triple 7 pellets it just wouldn't group consistantly. Sold it and bought a TC Triumph, I'm much happier with it.

Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Mine was a POS. I like Savages and still have a few, but my 10-ML was all over the place. Didn't matter if it was smokeless, pyrodex or triple 7 pellets it just wouldn't group consistantly. Sold it and bought a TC Triumph, I'm much happier with it.

what sabots did you use? Use the wrong ones and you won't keep it on paper..
    use the right ones and it is a great gun..
    as far as I know Barnes is the only bullet maker shipping MMP sabots with the bullets..
    I just buy handgun bullets & sabots directly from MMP..

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've heard that as well. They seem to be hit or miss on being tack-drivers or scatterguns.

The price tag doesn't help them much either.

sp3worker

Expert
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    what sabots did you use? Use the wrong ones and you won't keep it on paper..
    use the right ones and it is a great gun..
    as far as I know Barnes is the only bullet maker shipping MMP sabots with the bullets..
    I just buy handgun bullets & sabots directly from MMP..

I tried Hornady 250gr. XTP and SST, 300gr. SST's and the sabots that came with the gun. I varied my loads quite a bit, it seemed that if I went below what the load recomendations were the accuracy improved some. About the best I could do was 4"-5" groups at 100yds though. Out of the box with two Triple 7 pellets and 250gr TC Shockwaves I get 1 1/2" groups no problem with my Triumph.

M2A2

Shooter
    Nov 26, 2010
    Jasper county
    This gun is funny even though I shoot smokeless powder from it. It likes a clean barrel.It's a real tack driver! With a lot of power.:D

Top Bottom