• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I picked up this nice Colt 1849 on the cheap because of a loose arbor. It had been repaired for this once before as the pin that holds the arbor in place had been replaced some time in the past with a larger one. I thought about drilling the hole bigger and using a larger pin, but decided to try something different. I mixed Loctite and methylene chloride to reduce the viscosity of the Loctite quickly and jigged the gun so the mixture would flow into the voids by gravity. After overnight the arbor is set solidly so after I get some new screws for it I'll take it out and shoot it. The grip screws and trigger guard screws had been replaced with hardware screws so I ordered some from Lodgewood mfg.

arbor1849.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New correct screws make a difference, the hardware screws were too long and stuck out of grip frame and trigger guard. Serial number puts the revolver at 1853, but I think the nickle plating on the grip frame and trigger guard is much more recent even though it looks well done. All numbers except the wedge match up.

newscrews.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom