• ...and so much more!
  • carry205

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Florissant
    Hey everyone,
    I’m asking for suggestions on what you would endorse for a .22lr gun. Part of my property is heavily wooded, with a creek flowing through. We moved here last year, we didn’t have much wildlife problems. This year is a different story. I’m battling raccoons, ground hogs, squirrels, and deer. The deer aren’t much of an issue, they have learned to give me wide berth. The issue is that our next door neighbor’s wife is Wildlife Wendy, she believes in feeding the deer, and other creatures. She puts out corn, which everything eats, puts out bird seed for the birds (squirrels love this), and even puts out dog chow for the raccoons! Then, they had to spend some cash repairing their roof and deck because they came looking for food. She just doesn’t get it. They even had squirrels get into their attic. She is clueless. I even told her old man it’s against wildlife code to feed them: to no avail.
    My solution now is to dispatch them, if they are on my property so I need to find a .22. I’m thinking about a varmint rifle, but don’t know which one. I would like something that isn’t too expensive, but needs to be reliable and easy to shoot, probably semi automatic. I would appreciate any help narrowing the field. Thank you all in advance.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Hey everyone,
    I’m asking for suggestions on what you would endorse for a .22lr gun. Part of my property is heavily wooded, with a creek flowing through. We moved here last year, we didn’t have much wildlife problems. This year is a different story. I’m battling raccoons, ground hogs, squirrels, and deer. The deer aren’t much of an issue, they have learned to give me wide berth. The issue is that our next door neighbor’s wife is Wildlife Wendy, she believes in feeding the deer, and other creatures. She puts out corn, which everything eats, puts out bird seed for the birds (squirrels love this), and even puts out dog chow for the raccoons! Then, they had to spend some cash repairing their roof and deck because they came looking for food. She just doesn’t get it. They even had squirrels get into their attic. She is clueless. I even told her old man it’s against wildlife code to feed them: to no avail.
    My solution now is to dispatch them, if they are on my property so I need to find a .22. I’m thinking about a varmint rifle, but don’t know which one. I would like something that isn’t too expensive, but needs to be reliable and easy to shoot, probably semi automatic. I would appreciate any help narrowing the field. Thank you all in advance.
    Savage and Ruger both make models that would fit your need.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Find an old Mossberg .22lr bolt action.
    There are approximately 800 thousand different models and they can be found from dirt cheap to slightly less than gold, but they are almost always tack-drivers.
    More accurate than most, and stupid quiet if you use the low-powder or sub-sonic rounds.

CCI "Quiet" .22Lr sounds like a cap gun through a bolt action rifle barrel.
    More than enough power to dispatch squirrels, raccoons, even a groundhog with a well-placed shot.

Shooting whitetail with a .22Lr is illegal in Indiana.
    Don't do this.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Hey everyone,

Just to clarify, is the long gun for use on the critters or the neighbors?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    There are approximately 800 thousand different models and they can be found from dirt cheap to slightly less than gold, but they are almost always tack-drivers.
    More accurate than most, and stupid quiet if you use the low-powder or sub-sonic rounds.

More than enough power to dispatch squirrels, raccoons, even a groundhog with a well-placed shot.

Don't do this.
    Yeah I agree I would rather have a bolt gun. I have a Marlin XT 17 I think it is. If you get up in the attic or you're out in your garage shooting up in the rafters at a squirrel and you're using the 22 short it'll get stop by boards.

carry205

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Florissant

Don't do this.
    Thanks for the tips…I live in Missouri, and I don’t intend to shoot the deer, just the smaller game.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    While I love the Rugged 10/22 it sounds like a Marlin model 60 is more what you want, they are cheap new and can be found even cheaper in the ol pawn stores.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Using a bolt .22 is the way to go. If you shot through an open window with the end of the rifle inside the house it will not let your neighbors know you are shooting. Son used a bolt rifle shooting .22 LR to kill several pest in his housing complex. Houses about 10 feet apart and neither neighbor knew he shot about 15 pests. He used .22 LRHP ammo and it all stayed in the animals.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Here in Indiana, squirrel and racoons are game animals with hunting seasons. Out of season shooting will carry a hefty fine unless you first obtain a predation license. In Missouri, I dunno.

Top Bottom