Looking for range friends near Indianapolis!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jenn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I do not know many friends/relatives that carry or even own firearms.. :( So I am looking for some friendly and patient buddies around the south Indy area (I've visited Beech Grove & Trading post) that can help me make a handgun decision *Hence the patience :):* As someone who is female and not quite 21, I'm shy by about 6 months, I walk around the shop feeling a little discouraged :rolleyes:. My mom and I are going to take some pistol classes together soon and we are waiting for our licenses to be mailed.

I would LOVE to meet some friends who have in 9mm:
    Beretta px4 storm sc.
    Bersa thunder uc pro 9
    M&P compact 9
    Springfield XD (m)
    or possibly shield

^ my top 4 as if right now. I have held all of them but the Bersa thunder because I cannot find one anywhere!
    I would like to try these out before buying any gun, so if you have any that I would be able to try at the range, please reply. Even if you don't but would like to be friends please do so! *I also like the feel of the Ruger sr9c, a couple sigs, and maybe some of the Glocks that don't have the short grip too. I have relatively big hands for a female and long fingers. I guess as if now I do not have a set preference when it comes to striker fired or hammer, but I definitely want a DA/SA or DAO and a double stack mag(love how the px4 feels in my hand).

I have been to the range once so far with relatives. I have shot a ruger LCP, too tiny for my hand, and I kept pressing the mag release while shooting.
    I've shot an older ruger full size 9mm. I've also shot a .357 revolver full sized. I do not know if I am recoil sensitive, or I am just nervous because this is all new to me. I did not feel any pain while shooting, but the "jumpiness", and the "fire" out the barrel is what catches me by surprise. I've read that it's common for beginners to feel uncomfortable at first. I also read in many places that you should start out with .22 caliber??? I do not want to develop any bad habits.

Now I am not sure if I would need my mom to be with me when I go to the range because I'm not 21 yet, but she is looking for a .22 or possibly .380 and lease likely 9mm. She likes how the the walthers, taurus, and the M&P feel in her hands.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope that I can make some INGO friends :) especially ones that I can learn from and meet up!!

*by the way, I would like both female and male friends, do not hesitate to message me or reply! I am friendly :D

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I do not know many friends/relatives that carry or even own firearms.. :( So I am looking for some friendly and patient buddies around the south Indy area (I've visited Beech Grove & Trading post) that can help me make a handgun decision *Hence the patience :):* As someone who is female and not quite 21, I'm shy by about 6 months, I walk around the shop feeling a little discouraged :rolleyes:. My mom and I are going to take some pistol classes together soon and we are waiting for our licenses to be mailed.

Beretta px4 storm sc.
    Bersa thunder uc pro 9
    M&P compact 9
    Springfield XD (m)
    or possibly shield

^ my top 4 as if right now. I have held all of them but the Bersa thunder because I cannot find one anywhere!
    I would like to try these out before buying any gun, so if you have any that I would be able to try at the range, please reply. Even if you don't but would like to be friends please do so! *I also like the feel of the Ruger sr9c, a couple sigs, and maybe some of the Glocks that don't have the short grip too. I have relatively big hands for a female and long fingers. I guess as if now I do not have a set preference when it comes to striker fired or hammer, but I definitely want a DA/SA or DAO and a double stack mag(love how the px4 feels in my hand).

I have been to the range once so far with relatives. I have shot a ruger LCP, too tiny for my hand, and I kept pressing the mag release while shooting.
    I've shot an older ruger full size 9mm. I've also shot a .357 revolver full sized. I do not know if I am recoil sensitive, or I am just nervous because this is all new to me. I did not feel any pain while shooting, but the "jumpiness", and the "fire" out the barrel is what catches me by surprise. I've read that it's common for beginners to feel uncomfortable at first. I also read in many places that you should start out with .22 caliber??? I do not want to develop any bad habits.

Now I am not sure if I would need my mom to be with me when I go to the range because I'm not 21 yet, but she is looking for a .22 or possibly .380 and lease likely 9mm. She likes how the the walthers, taurus, and the M&P feel in her hands.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope that I can make some INGO friends :) especially ones that I can learn from and meet up!!

*by the way, I would like both female and male friends, do not hesitate to message me or reply! I am friendly :D
    your really making me feel old at the age of 24 here, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to help out, if I find a bersa thunder I'll let ya know. I'm pretty good about running across them lately. Oh and welome to INGO :welcome:

wlr2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I would highly recommend M&J Firearms in Fortville. It may be a bit of a drive but I just took one of my female friends there to buy her first gun and the guys were awesome. We were there for almost two hours looking at the different models they had. I can't recommend them enough.
    The only drawback is that they do not have a range.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Springfield XD9er checking in. You're welcome to put some rounds through it when I'm done with classes for the summer.

Jenn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the quick replies! you guys should have seen my huge original list of possible guns :laugh:. I showed the guys at Gander mtn and they laughed at me.
    wlr2
    I will consider M&J when I am going to buy, but I really need to shoot the guns before I commit to one. It's like dating! you have to see what is out there and fits you best before you make a jump. :draw:

Spike_351
    24 isn't old! but let me TELL you that I get treated a little strangely sometimes because of my age.... I look younger than 20, I've been told I look 15-18...
    Thanks, please do let me know if you see a thunder 9 uc. :)

cbhausen

I added you as a friend! thanks :)

wlr2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the quick replies! you guys should have seen my huge original list of possible guns :laugh:. I showed the guys at Gander mtn and they laughed at me.
    wlr2
    I will consider M&J when I am going to buy, but I really need to shoot the guns before I commit to one. It's like dating! you have to see what is out there and fits you best before you make a jump. :draw:

If they laughed at you then they don't need your business.

Dating? What is that?
    Single = No Drama
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Hello.

My wife and I are 30/29 (her name is Jenn, too) and she's just bought her first handgun, a Kahr CM9. I'm sure she'd love a lady range buddy. We're up in the Carmel area, but "Have guns will travel".

There is a brand new range up here called Tim's Shooting Academy, it has husband & wife 2 for 1 rates and extra shooters $5 so the three of us could shoot for cheap... but beech Groove is ok too.

-K_W-

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have the Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro and I'm in the Indy area.

I'd be happy to let you check it out. They usually have some at Indy Trading Post too. I'm surprised you didn't see one there.

asset.jpeg

Samplejs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    I take my daughter (19) shooting quite and bit and soon her boyfriend will be joining us as well. I have taught several friends and family to shoot and we would be glad to meet up with you and your mom some time. As far as guns go. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45, daughter has a Ruger LC9 with extended magazines that make it much easier to shoot. Her boyfriend has an M&P Shield .40, and for training new shooters we have Walther P22 and a Tokarev 7.62x25.

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    Jenn: I would suggest you go to the "Well Armed Woman" chapter at Eagle Creek Pistol Range this Sunday, 04/12 @1:00. Usually there is a hour of presentation of some sort and then time on the range. You do not need to be a member of WAW the first time attending or to shoot. You will find very friendly and supportive shooters there. Wife attends these and has enjoys it greatly. She is planning on attending this Sunday, I will make sure she has her M&P 9c with her for you to try.

Also will give a 1+ to M&J Firearms. I personally know one of the guys that works there (Mark). A great guy and instructor for those starting out.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    If I still had my Ruger SR9c I would let you shoot it. It is very accurate and reliable. The main drawback is that it has a stiff recoil spring which makes racking the slide a little difficult.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't focus too much on the recoil. No matter what you shoot, you will soon gt used to it and not even notice it. I used to think my S&W M&P 9mm had some recoil. But compared to my S&W 66 shooting .357 magnum rounds, it had nothing. Now, my .45 ACP feels like it has no recoil. Only gun I have recently shot that felt like it had recoil was a .44 magnum. If I shot that regularly, I am betting that would go away too.

Do yourself a favor, and buy a decent pair of electronic ear muffs, so that you can hear instructions while on the range, yet your ears are protected from the gun blast noise. I have a pair of the Howard Leight ones that work very well, cost me about $60 bucks (avoid the Sports model, they don't work nearly as well. Go with the Pro model.)

BTW, you have some solid choices for handguns. Make sure you try the different backstraps for the M&P, they make a huge difference.

WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    I have a few 9mm's I'd be happy to let you try out:

-Sig P226 Extreme
    -Glock 19
    -M&P Shield
    -Plan on purchasing a XDS 3.3 soon

I'm 27 and just recently moved back to the midwest for work and am also looking for some shooting buddies :) I live up in Carmel and usually go Tim's (in Westfield) or Eagle Creek. I have yet to make the haul down to Beech Grove, but I've heard lots of good things and am definitely planning on dropping by for a visit. If you ever wanna go shooting or try out any of the pistols, let me know!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Beretta px4 storm sc.
    Bersa thunder uc pro 9
    M&P compact 9
    Springfield XD (m)
    or possibly shield

Post more, dangit. You need 50 posts to be able to use PMs. And a lot of people like to keep some of these kinds of conversations on the down low (privacy and all that), but not me. Nothing quiet about me. (No comments from the peanut gallery either!). But more importantly, I can't share my cell with you if I can't give it to you.

Hi, I'm Jenn (no foolin'). I live on the southwest side of Indy right off 465. I'm a tad older (cough, cough pushing 40 cough cough). I don't have any of the specific firearms you listed, but I do have a full size Glock and some 1911s (i know that wasn't on your list, and it doesn't meet your criteria, but you should still shoot one. It's gun law.)

Experience will help with recoil sensitivities, but I disagree with the comment above that whatever it is, you will get used to it. There will be some firearms that hurt or annoy the crap out of you much that you don't even want to look at them. I know because I carry one. :): Good ear protection also helps, believe it or not. Sometimes the report of the firearm has more to do with perceived recoil than actual firearm movement. So make sure you have good ear pro.

Hello.

My wife and I are 30/29 (her name is Jenn, too) and she's just bought her first handgun, a Kahr CM9. I'm sure she'd love a lady range buddy. We're up in the Carmel area, but "Have guns will travel".

There is a brand new range up here called Tim's Shooting Academy, it has husband & wife 2 for 1 rates and extra shooters $5 so the three of us could shoot for cheap... but beech Groove is ok too.

-K_W-

We could start Club Jenn!!!!

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    If they laughed at you then they don't need your business.

Dating? What is that?
    Single = No Drama
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    this, definitely this, they don't deserve your business. And I saved a ton if money by switching to single, no more b*tchin about how many guns I buy and I get to sleep in later :D

Jenn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I definitely will need more ear protection, I got something from amazon :): but I couldn't hear what anyone was saying to me..

Haha a Jenn club.. I'm sure there's a lot of Jenns xD

I'm trying to get to 50! It shouldn't take too long?

Indycruzr:
    I'll try to make it! would love meeting more people, and thanks sounds great!

Spike_351:
    I did have a huge list, it wasn't a disrespectful laugh, but we all (even I laughed) about it.
    I don't think boys would complain about a women having firearms? anyways I was just making a cheesy comparison. lol...

Samplejs
    [URL="https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/mcgrease08.html"]MCgrease08

[/URL][URL="https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/watermalan.html"]WatermAlan
    [/URL]88GT

^^Yeah, lets hit the range sometime! Even if what you have isn't on my list, what I like isn't restricted to those.. I say this mainly because I don't really have that much experience.

Last edited:

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I posted the following comment in your "introduction" thread and will repost it here in case you missed it in the other one:

Welcome to INGO! If you and your mom don't mind driving a little bit, you could meet me at Wilbur Wright Shooting Range. I have a full size Springfield XDm and a Beretta Storm COMPACT(a size up from the subcompact). Both of them are in 9mm. You are more than welcome to shoot them if you can't find anyone in your immediate area. I too am a big believer in trying out guns before you buy especially since you are talking the DA/SA vs. striker-fired trigger systems. Both styles still go "bang" but they do feel a little different.

It looks like you are receiving a warm welcome from INGO so far. I'm happy to see it. :)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The Well Armed Woman suggestion is a good one. Beech Grove Firearms also has TWAW Chapter. Join up and you'll likely be offered the chance to shoot other members' guns.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom