Looking for guidance from AR rifle hunters (ammunition)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    +1 For sticking with 5.56 and using a 64 grain soft point. 75 gr BTHP may also yield decent results.

If you were going to stay within 200 yard's, just use the 7.62x39.

I really appreciate @DadSmith posting the charts. To simplify what he showed...
    At 300 yards.....
    - 7.62x39 drops 2 ft, drifts 1 ft, hits @ 600 ft/lbs
    - 300 BLK drops 3 ft, drifts 1 ft, hits @ 700 ft/lbs
    -6.5 Grendel drops 1 ft, drifts 6 in, hits @1000 ft/lbs.

If nothing else it reminds me how efficient and badass the Grendel cartridge is. :boxing:
    This is why serious hunter's need a chronograph to see what their actual velocity is and know the bullets BC.
    Once you have them both you can enter it into a ballistics calculator, and find out exactly what your ammunition of choice is going to do.
    Then all you need to know is what your cross wind speed is dial in your scope, and the rest is upto you.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Did some research a while ago on using 223 for hogs. Of course it was met with lots of controversy. Of the people who were using 223, they had good success with these couple loads

Seems that the bullet construction in these couple rounds perform better on medium game. Allowing for more angles and shot placements.

Thinner jacketed lighter weight varmint bullets like 50 and 55 grain ballistic tip seem to be much more sensitive to what they hit like a heavy shoulder bone. Likely resulting in under penetration.

This link is an absolute treasure trove of good data.
    Just an excerpt from that link.
    255D3C0E-F76B-47DD-AF1B-45B77CA372E1.png

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Good lord that looks heavy.
    Its a pig, not only the PVS-4, but the rifle is an HBAR with one of those 1 inch thick 20 inch barrels.
    But we sit in a blind watching a feeder. Makes for a stable platform, for the quick follow ups on the rest of the sounder that is hauling butt away after the first shot.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    +1 For sticking with 5.56 and using a 64 grain soft point. 75 gr BTHP may also yield decent results.
    Arent those too long for ARs? I dont remember where the cutoff is, but the largest projectiles typically have a OAL that is just a wee bit too long for an AR mag if I remember correctly from another discussion. (but fine for bolt .223s)

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    5.56 is fine for the first hog that you shoot in the ear. Trying to shoot hogs 2, 3 and 4 while they scatter, not so fine.

Grendel (or 6.8) give you a lot of versatility. Ballistics are good, energy is good. I took a pronghorn at 284 yards with a 16” Grendel, and the same arrangement will kill hogs nicely.

We butcher our own, and examining the damage difference from 5.56 rounds vs Grendel rounds is impressive. No doubt either is fine for CNS, but anything in the vitals and it’s no comparison.

Failure to recover wounded animals quickly makes you willing to spend more on ammo.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Did some research a while ago on using 223 for hogs. Of course it was met with lots of controversy. Of the people who were using 223, they had good success with these couple loads

Seems that the bullet construction in these couple rounds perform better on medium game. Allowing for more angles and shot placements.

Thinner jacketed lighter weight varmint bullets like 50 and 55 grain ballistic tip seem to be much more sensitive to what they hit like a heavy shoulder bone. Likely resulting in under penetration.

View attachment 261364
    I'm thinking of one of my favorite bullets to hog hunt with. 75gr Speer Gold Dot.
    My nephew is getting stationed in Mississippi and I'm thinking of going down there to do some hog hunting since they are a nuisance critter..

I'm not sure what all Mississippi laws are on it. If I can't use a 5.56 I'll go with my Grendel which is a little more expensive to shoot.

My nephew said they have no bag limits on hogs, but require hunting permit for it.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Its a pig, not only the PVS-4, but the rifle is an HBAR with one of those 1 inch thick 20 inch barrels.
    But we sit in a blind watching a feeder. Makes for a stable platform, for the quick follow ups on the rest of the sounder that is hauling butt away after the first shot.
    Gotcha. Bonus points for retro hunting!

We do mostly stalking, including with thermal at night. I bought a “loaner” thermal scope instead of a spotter, so every extra ounce is definitely felt!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Arent those too long for ARs? I dont remember where the cutoff is, but the largest projectiles typically have a OAL that is just a wee bit too long for an AR mag if I remember correctly from another discussion. (but fine for bolt .223s)
    Nope not at all. I run Hornady 75gr BTHP in my 5.56 AR-15's
    I also like Speer 75gr TMJBT, and 75gr Speer Gold Dot.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    5.56 is fine for the first hog that you shoot in the ear. Trying to shoot hogs 2, 3 and 4 while they scatter, not so fine.

Grendel (or 6.8) give you a lot of versatility. Ballistics are good, energy is good. I took a pronghorn at 284 yards with a 16” Grendel, and the same arrangement will kill hogs nicely.

We butcher our own, and examining the damage difference from 5.56 rounds vs Grendel rounds is impressive. No doubt either is fine for CNS, but anything in the vitals and it’s no comparison.

Failure to recover wounded animals quickly makes you willing to spend more on ammo.
    If your talking about an 5.56 carbine (16 inch) yeah, I could see that... I use a 20 inch AR and the extra oomph is noticeable.. I can usually get 2 or 3 out of a sounder before they clear the range of my 20 inch.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There are some 77 grain projectiles that absolutely won't fit in an AR magazine, and even some bolt guns depending on the action length and the mag setup.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Gotcha. Bonus points for retro hunting!

We do mostly stalking, including with thermal at night. I bought a “loaner” thermal scope instead of a spotter, so every extra ounce is definitely felt!
    Yeah I am known for dragging out bog standard "standard issue" type rifles.

I used to use the M14 at night..with the PVS, The lethality is there for sure, but the follow up shots were much slower..

During the day. when we loose the dogs.. M1 Carbine all the way. That Hornady round in 110 GR FTX in 30 carbine is no joke.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    No they are designed to load in AR mags. You might be thinking of the 75 AMAX. That dart is too long for mag length. And of course anything heavier than the 77 SMK is gonna be too long for mag use

1 in 8 twist handle them well. Unsure on 1in 9. Might be iffy.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Food for thought. While 300 BLKOUT is legal on private ground, 350 Legend is legal on public lands in Indiana.
    Making it a little versatile. <><Duce

Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville
    7.62x39 will cover 300BLK territory. 350 Legend will get you a bit more energy but the ballistics aren’t impressive.

IMO it sounds like 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC fit the bill much better. I like Grendel for hogs. Have killed a slew of them with Hornady SST and Black.
    I agree. I also chose Grendel as my hunting AR of choice. Ballistics are great. But right now it seems ammo is hard find, but seems 300BO is always in stock.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

View attachment 261364
    IMO, I wouldn't trust a standard cup and core bullet for body shots on hogs much over 125 lbs. live weight. The Trophy Bonded Bear Claw should be fine and the Partition as well for .223/5.56 velocities. Based on what I've seen from the Fusion from larger calibers, I definitely wouldn't trust it. This is what I would use if I expected to shoot bigger hogs: https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/premium-centerfire-rifle/barnes-tsx/11-P223S.html

Top Bottom