• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Goal: Purchase a .22lr bolt action to last a lifetime

Purpose: Want something extremely accurate out of the box for punching little holes in paper 25yds - 200yds

Secondary Purpose: I want to run a bolt action for Appleseed this year...

I have it narrowed down to a couple choices: (feel free to recommend a rifle if you want)

In no order:

I'm sure all rifles will handle the job... but I have some questions.

Questions:
    1. The CZ and the TRR-SR have 20 inch barrels, but the FV-SR only has a 16.5 inch barrel... how much accuracy/performance am I giving up with the shorter barrel?

2. Can all 3 of these rifles handle 200yds provided me and my scope do their jobs?

3. The CZ and the TRR-SR are a bit more expensive... and come with nicer stocks from what I can tell... are they worth the extra $150-$300.

4. Take money out of the equation... which rifle would you own and why?

5. How do the triggers and actions compare between the savages and the CZs?

6. I own a CZ75 and a couple of Savage rifles... I have confidence in both companies, but is there any other options I should consider... or any reason I should consider one company over the other?

7. Has anyone had good or bad experience with any of these specific rifles?​

Thanks in advance!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have 6-7 CZ 452/455s and THEY ALL SHOOT!. I've had Ruger 77/22s and they are nice but couldn't shoot with my CZs. I have a Remington 541T that is an awesome shooter as well. No experience with Savage or the others but I've heard Savages are shooters too. I'm sticking with CZ from here on out. :twocents:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have a CZ 455 w/ Tech-Sights you can try if you want (I just got it a few months back and have not had the chance to sight it in yet, however.)

The basic CZ trigger is just OK, but with a $30 parts kit and a little work they can be fantastic. I have a contact at a local club that has done quite a few and said it only takes him 1-2hrs to give them an excellent 2-3lb trigger. -- Yeah, I know everybody has a contact ....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have no experiance with the cz 455, but after messing with my cz 452's I see no reason to change to the 455 even though I have no doubt its a fine rifle.

If you can get your hands on one 452 would get my vote.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Thanks for the info guys!

I have a CZ 455 w/ Tech-Sights you can try if you want (I just got it a few months back and have not had the chance to sight it in yet, however.)

The basic CZ trigger is just OK, but with a $30 parts kit and a little work they can be fantastic. I have a contact at a local club that has done quite a few and said it only takes him 1-2hrs to give them an excellent 2-3lb trigger. -- Yeah, I know everybody has a contact ....

I'll keep that in mind and I might take you up on that offer to try out your 455!!

Thanks

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I have no experiance with the cz 455, but after messing with my cz 452's I see no reason to change to the 455 even though I have no doubt its a fine rifle.

If you can get your hands on one 452 would get my vote.

I can actually and at a pretty decent price.... I'll definitely keep that in mind. I didn't specifically mention a 452... but that is definitely a possibility!

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    On barrel length, 16" or so is supposed to be about optimum for velocity with 22lr. However, for target shooting, you'd probably be shooting subsonic ammo anyway, so velocity doesn't really matter. A longer barrel will slow down the bullet a bit and will also be a bit quieter, but it probably won't make a huge practical difference (unless you're shooting iron sights).

I went through the pretty much the same decision awhile back, basically looking at a 455/452 or the MkII TR. I went with the CZ (455 Varmint) over the Savage because it just seemed like something I'd want to keep for a long time. Like you, I also had a Savage long gun (10PC in .308), and an CZ handgun (85 Combat), and I am very pleased with both of them. However, while Savage makes a fine rifle, I can't help but grin every time I pick up a CZ.

Honestly, I think Savage offers some really great values (like the MKII BV and TR), but the CZ just felt like more of a keeper...now I want a Lux and an FS.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I just did some limited sight in work and put 100 through my 452 American, flawless. I could only go to 25y indoor, and it was obviously one ragged hole.. the action is so fast and smooth. Plus trigger job parts are less than $20. Mags are expensive. I can't wait to do 50/100 with this thing.

I'd get a lux so that irons are avaliable, an 11mil to picatinny adapter from DI products (thanks Alan for the rec) and some nice glass. Just so smooth.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had one fv-sr that shot very well out to 300 yards, and I sold it for the $$. I replaced it with the exact same rifle, but with a better scope and have excellent results at 300 yards again.

I've never held a CZ, but I hear good things. I don't think you'd be disappointed by any of the guns you've mentioned. I just happen to be a savage guy.

Dr_O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    It's a crap shoot. If you get a good sample of any of them they will shoot as good as you.

I suggest you get your hands on them and see if they fit you. A CZ 452 felt very small to me. It was beautiful, though. My Savage BTV fits me very well.

At 200 yards with 22LR there are many factors that will seriously influence accuracy: the slightest wind change, inconsistent ammo, yourself.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Thanks guys... I'll have to get with you Allen once I get my rifle (hopefully in the coming months) and see what we can do about scope and rail!

Top Bottom