• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I'm looking into buying a large gun safe. Something that will hold around 30 long guns. I've looked at Liberty safes and checked out the Ft. Knox website. I've also been told of a company called Graffunder, I think that's it, but I don't know much about them. What say you? Any suggestions?

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Meadows Gun Shop in Hagerstown just got me a pretty good deal on a Stack-On 45 Gun Safe before Christmas. You might give Brent Meadows a call and see what he can do for you. His number is 765-489-5614, he is open 5 - 9 tonight and 12 pm to 6 pm tomorrow.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    fwiw, i picked up a stack-on "total defense" 36 gun safe from rural king for about $800.00 a few weeks ago.

looks like this:

p3941810_view2_p275w.jpg

the safe is not real big if you put the removable shelves on one side for pistol and ammo storage.

even so, with 1/2 the safe set up with shelves, the other side will easily hold 12 long guns. 18 would be pretty tight depending on the dimensions of your guns.

it's fire rated to something like 1200deg for 45 min (iirc) and flood rated for something like 72 hours if you bolt it down.

it is not fancy, but it gives me what i was looking for: relatively affordable, modest fire protection and secure storage.

the way i figured it ... if i outgrew this safe (which i plan on doing) i could buy another one and still have well less than $2k in both of them.

if money is not object, buy the biggest baddest safe you can find that will fit where you want to put it. whatever you buy, once you get it home, you will always wish it was bigger once you start loading it up.

good luck.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I got the Stack-On Total Defense Select 45gun. I believe the 45 or 30 gun rating as being single shots or shotguns. Bolt action rifles would require at least two spots. An AR with a light mounted would also require two spots. Just something to remember when you pick one out.

The stack-on manual states its only waterproof if its bolted. That is because in 2 feet of water it would start to float if I remember correctly.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Another plug for Johnson Safe Co is the free delivery (with some conditions,check with Jeff) He will be at the Indy1500 gunshow w/ his South Bend Chocolates too.So have a snack and buy a safe.Color options and variable configurations can be had.LOTS of handwork from a local no-BS kinda guy.:+1:

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Man, just get a regular dial lock and not the electronic lock. I had one and was a PITA!!!

i could not disagree more, imho.

i have had a combo lock on a gun cabinet (not a safe) in the past.

i much prefer the electronic lock. simple to program. simple to change the battery when needed. my particular lock will go up to 8 digits on the unlock code. the electronic lock also makes entry much quicker.

again, imho. just another viewpoint.

crosby841

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Johnson safes are the way to go, he takes pride in his work and backs it up with the warranty and service.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Check with Don Cook (his number and email on my website) for a Liberty. No external hinges, S&G locks, and lots of big locking bolts. I just had mine put in and I'm very happy.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    slow1911s right check with Don Cook with Liberty safe company, I am sure with things the way they are everyone out there will work with you but you will love the liberty safe line. Good solid and very dependable with some very impressive features. Plus Don works real well with the Friends of NRA in our state and helps the banquets make some pretty good money that goes to organizations that promote firearm training and safety.

bsinger82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Evansville / Indy
    A relative of mine bought one from Johnson safe company. I know he paid a pretty penny for it but it sure is nice. I really all depends on how much you want to spend. Personally I bought a stack-on because I am relatively young and did not want to invest that much in a safe. I bought the largest stack-on they make for under $1000.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Big plug for Jeff Johnson- Johnson Safe co. I have one and he has moved it twice for me. He has several sizes and prices to fit your need. Better safes the you can buy at the stores. And you get a free pound of chocolate or nuts or something when you buy it at the gun show. He will also make vault door. That is my next project for Jeff.

safe2.jpg

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Jeff Johnson does amazing work. I got the dail, but as I gallop up on 40 I regret not getting an electric lock (with BIG numbers)!:D

I have had a Johnson safe since 1999 and cannot be more pleased.

Jeff even took the time to make additional shelves for my safe when I ran out of space for my pistols.

Top Bottom