Long term storage of whole powdered milk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone know the best way to long term store whole powdered milk? I want to get the Walmart stuff and put it in Mylar bags with 02 absorbers, is this the best way? Thanks:)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Does anyone know the best way to long term store whole powdered milk? I want to get the Walmart stuff and put it in Mylar bags with 02 absorbers, is this the best way? Thanks:)

That's what I've done.

In fact, I just finished packaging 6 pounds of it last night with some other preps.

Make sure your family will drink it though. There are differences in taste between different brands.

I would suggest mixing some up, leaving it in the fridge overnight and drinking some of it before you spend a fortune on the stuff.

It's approx. $20 for a 3# bag at Sam's club. Not sure about walmart.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    That's what I've done.

In fact, I just finished packaging 6 pounds of it last night with some other preps.

Make sure your family will drink it though. There are differences in taste between different brands.

I would suggest mixing some up, leaving it in the fridge overnight and drinking some of it before you spend a fortune on the stuff.

It's approx. $20 for a 3# bag at Sam's club. Not sure about walmart.

The stores will be empty the first day of a big crisis. Food won't be available. That milk will taste great then. It would be a good idea to keep a probiotic on hand. That powdered milk is dead; probiotics will provide "live" nutrition. Nutrition Now PB8 does not have to be refrigerated; available at Vitacost.com for about half the cost at a health food store. Probiotics can also keep you from getting sick if you ingest something that may be old/bad.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I had a bunch of 6-gallon mylar bags and a pack of 50cc O2 absorbers left over from another prep project. I cut down the big bags and sealed the edges to make smaller bags that held, maybe a half-gallon each.

Then I filled those bags with powdered milk, rice, beans, and other stuff, and put in several of the 50cc absorbers and sealed them up. I always put in more absorbers than I need, but when it draws up tight, you know it's sealed well. Those all went into 5-gallon buckets and plastic totes. I've got a good amount of bulk-type stuff in 5-gallon buckets, so I figured it would be good to supplement with smaller sealed packages.

Most people don't like powdered milk just to drink, although if the SHTF, I would think it would grow on you when that's all you have. But, it's also really good to add to things like potato soup and other creamy dishes, or maybe oatmeal.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not the way to can pickles:
    2013-07-05_10-54-19_885_zps8bc912c0.jpg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Agreed, Morning Moos is the best tasting. It's much more expensive though, like 50% more... I'm using normal powdered milk right now. It has come a long way in the last 40 years since I was a kid.

Last edited:

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Agreed, Morning Moos is the best tasting. It's much more expensive though, like 50% more... I'm using normal powdered milk right now. It has come a long way in the last 40 years since I was a kid.

It's a little more expensive, but it has a 10 year shelf life! No need to repackage it yourself. It looks like the best option.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    WalMart also sells the regular instant milk, same brand, same shelf life and no need to repackage it either, $4 less.

Papper2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    I'm not really a prepper but I do store some foods --like the powdered Milk--AND It sure has come a VERY long way in taste and usability. I use it for cooking quite often-- No brand preferences tho

Top Bottom