• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Caution: Cantankerous old fart on his soapbox!!!!

Ok, I probably spend way too much time on knife forums on these interwebz but this is the problem- "As I see it."

Most of the members here (and elsewhere) do not think twice in spending big dollars on a firearm, whether for fun & games, hunting or personal defense. BUT, those same folks have decided to purchase and carry any cheapa** blade from a sheffield box knife, gas station special made from chinese beercans as well as some marginal manufacturers such as CRKT, the once great (but no longer) Gerber/Fiskars abomination, and a few others.

My question is WHY??? I do not mean to imply that you need to spend over $100 on your pocket knife, a Kershaw or a Spyderco in basic form will run less than $70 on the web and include quality,craftsmanship,premium materials and an excellent warranty. And these are just two that come to mind, others include- Blade-Tech,Emerson, Lone Wolf, RAT Cutlery, SOG, etc.,etc.....

Quality of manufacture & design ,durability,premium materials- these are things we require in our firearms, don't you think we should require them in our edge tools? I certainly do.

Remember-
    The bitterness of poor quality/performance will last far longer than the sweetness of low cost.

Just my $.02. YMMV

BK6

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    +1, it is all too known that I am willing to spend big $$$ to get quality blades some more than some of the guns I have. the tough part is trying to convince people to buy quality vs. gas station specials. I guess we all have our own priorities though.:twocents:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    When I am using a knife, the stakes are usually lower. I picked my gun because I knew it would work if I needed it to defend my life.

I suppose it is possible that I may need to use a knife to defend myself, but in that case, the primary determinant of success is distance to the assailant and the strength of my arm (which will be amplified by the adrenaline coursing through my body).

And for the record, I have a CRKT knife that was less than $35 that I am 100% satisfied with. I also have Boker Magnum brand knife that was also less than $35 from the NRA store and I am 100% satisfied with that. Both are sturdy, easy to open and close and have an above average edge.

Sure, they are not as nice as my Benchmade, but they sure cost a lot less. If I lost my Benchmade, I would carry one of the others rather than buying a new knife.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I would say give a price range because some of the stuff I and others would recommend is out of the question for all but the serious enthusiast.

This brings up an interesting point. I am a gun enthusiast. I am not a knife enthusiast. Knifes are just tools to me.

When it comes to tools, I could buy all top grade power tools and call up the Snap-On guy for the best darn hand tools ever. Or I can go to Sears or Lowe's and be 100% satisfied for less $$.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    the difference with me personally is I don't always have my gun on me but I ALWAYS have my knives on me so price is less of an issue because quality is my main concern. also I can't build a field expedient shelter with a gun.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    This brings up an interesting point. I am a gun enthusiast. I am not a knife enthusiast. Knifes are just tools to me.

When it comes to tools, I could buy all top grade power tools and call up the Snap-On guy for the best darn hand tools ever. Or I can go to Sears or Lowe's and be 100% satisfied for less $$.

well there you go right there, a lot of it has to do with if your into it or not. your not knives so it takes less precedent, nothing wrong with that though.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Caution:
    My question is WHY??? I do not mean to imply that you need to spend over $100 on your pocket knife, a Kershaw or a Spyderco in basic form will run less than $70 on the web and include quality,craftsmanship,premium materials and an excellent warranty. And these are just two that come to mind, others include- Blade-Tech,Emerson, Lone Wolf, RAT Cutlery, SOG, etc.,etc.....

Quality of manufacture & design ,durability,premium materials- these are things we require in our firearms, don't you think we should require them in our edge tools? I certainly do.

Remember-
    The bitterness of poor quality/performance will last far longer than the sweetness of low cost.

Just my $.02. YMMV

BK6

I used to be a big Kershaw fan. Still carry one I bought when all kershaws were made in the US. Even they now have knives made in China from I'm guessing beer cans. My point is, just because it has a good name now a days doesn't mean a tinkers dam. So what do you do? Not everyone that sells knives advertises where it was made. And I have never ran across a knife worth spit that came from china.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    For 25 years I carried a little 2.5 inch Buck 55. It did everything I needed... I never had to survive in the jungle for two weeks with just that knife.;)

When I thought I lost it, I started shopping around and found that the knife industry had made some tremendous leaps in quality and materials. It's not possible for me to keep up with it all, so I just purchased a few CRKTs, Gerbers, Bucks, and finally settled on a Kershaw Blurr. I still consider any of them as useful tools and have no hesitation carrying them at various times.:twocents:

Now, mind you, I wouldn't turn down a gift of a Chris Reeves, Strider, Emerson, or Benchmade.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    :dunno: My $10 Gerber Para something or other folder and my $12 Schrade keep cutting tape, boxes, sharpening pencils, will work beautifully for cleaning and skinning squirrels and rabbits, are so basic I don't care if they get scratched or dinged. My Western boot knife, my only real "fighting" knife, has been by my side for 20 years. Never used it in a fight, but it's opened untold numbers of 5 pound coffee cans on midshifts.

Reckon I'm a heathen :) To me, knives are just tools, and the cheapo knives seem to be working well enough for me.

I really did like my Cold Steel SRK. But I've since been told that Cold Steel knives aren't good enough, either. Sigh.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Many are missing the point here, I am NOT speaking of FIGHTING knives. I look at a knife as a tool, not a weapon even though they can serve both purposes.

I AM speaking of the paradox of the $799 pistol and the $4.99 knife.

I and many others on this forum prefer to have a blade that will a) take and hold an edge, whether skinning a squirrel, opening mail, breaking down cardboard boxes, cutting rope of all sorts, etc.. b) stay open when I'm using it AND stay closed when I'm not.. c) be easy to access (pocket clip or belt sheath d) open positively and lock solidly with one hand.

As to the major brands outsourceing to china, well I don't like it either SO I buy either their US or Japan manufactured items. I have handled the chinese knives from Spyderco and Kershaw, some models have impressed me, some not so much.

Buck knives were an oversight by me, their quality is good and with Paul Bos doing their heat treat they are very consistent performers. I prefer the premium steels such as S30V and BG-42 over their standard model stuff.

CRKT to me are too gimmick oriented/mall ninja style- I have personally seen way too many of their knives blades and locks fail under mild to moderate use for me to be comfortable with them.

If you have ever really used a knife hard for its given purpose you will know what I mean, the idea of a major accidental cut, stab or loss of fingers due to lock failure make me lean farther to the quality side of things. My safety is worth it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Spyderco for my EDC.

But I have cut a knife from circular saw blade using an angle grinder and a dremel. Paracord wrapped handle and I am good to go. Field dressed a deer with it, and I use it all the time on my bench.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    My CRKT functions just fine, never has broken, dulled or done anything other than what I wanted it to do. It was $50 10 years ago and I've never thought anything about the cost other than asking myself why others spend such ridiculous amounts of money for such little extra. It's a great tool that I use every single day, and has been one of the most solid purchases I've made in this decade.

I'm against $10 cheap stamped gun show knives, but I've never questioned the build quality for a second on my CRKT. It sits in my pocket daily, and probably will forever.

I use Kershaw Shun knives in the kitchen, but I would never think about cutting paper, plastic, or 1/10 of the things my pocket blade cuts with my forged Shun blades.

I just see value when necessary. I need a forged Chefs knife for everyday duties in the kitchen, but when it came time to buy a scalloped slicing knife, I passed on the $200 Shun and got a $20 stamped one from a Restaurant Supply. Part of it is being frugal but most was from working in a Kitchen for a good portion of my life, I know that $20 Knife will hold up to anything you throw at it for years with heavy commercial use, so in a single couple's kitchen, it might last forever, no need to spend $180 more when unnecessary.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Maybe some links to what you'd recommend?

Hickman, Check out Bladeforums.com, USN (terrific place-much knowledge and many custom makers and factory forums) or JerzeeDevil.com.

For shopping look at New Graham Knives site for a wide selection and alot of pictures & info.

Hope this helps.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    i said it once I'll say it again, you don't buy sports cars because there economical. you buy them because you can afford to and you like top of the line quality. not that a toyota corolla won't work but it won't excel in most things.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I carry a decent knife (Case, Kershaw, I have a few others) but have never put big money in one. I guess part of it is, I have had one or two knives fall out of my dress pants and end up finding them days later in a chair or couch. So I can easily imagine losing one somewhere. I have never lost my pistol however.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom