• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I see it all the time... Somebody calls the LTCH a "permit" and then there is a tidal wave of "it's a license, not a permit"...

Now, this is an honest question, not looking to start some flame war... I genuenly want to better understand the issue at hand.

What is the big deal about calling it a permit? How is a permit distinguished from a license, and what about these differences make it important (to INGOers) to keep the two straight?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    :dunno: The dictionary definitions of the two words are nearly identical, and the definition of license refers to permit and vice-versa.

I guess all the "hoopla" is because it is legally defined as a license, not a permit. :dunno:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I see it all the time... Somebody calls the LTCH a "permit" and then there is a tidal wave of "it's a license, not a permit"...

SNIP

Quick and easy fix to the argument.

It's a License To Carry a Handgun - LTCH,

not a Permit To Carry a Handgun - PTCH.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    When the legislators decided to regulate handgun carry they had to decide on terminology when they wrote the law. In Indiana they went with the term license. Most states use the term permit. I don't care one way or the other, though some people enjoy being picky about such matters.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    ....as long as we're wondering ....do the people who use the word "permit" instead of "license" the same people who use the word "clip" instead of "magazines?" :D:D:D
    ...extra butter on my popcorn, please! :popcorn:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    For how often this comes up, I assumed there was some sort of validity to the bashing of "permit" holders. Surely SOMEBODY cares AND can explain why...?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    ....as long as we're wondering ....do the people who use the word "permit" instead of "license" the same people who use the word "clip" instead of "magazines?" :D:D:D
    ...extra butter on my popcorn, please! :popcorn:
    My thought exactly...I know the difference between a "clip", and a magazine... I read a magazine...

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I'll admit that this is an issue that I'm picky on. Let me explain. Merriam-Webster defines "permit" as "To give leave/authorize", as well as "to consent to expressly or formally". The way I read the 2nd Amendment, the government on any level has no business "permitting" or "authorizing" me to carry a handgun or any firearm for that matter. Also, "license" can also be defined as "a document memorializing an agreement". That is a more acceptable definition in my opinion. My license, to me, is just a physical affirmation of my right to carry. A permit, to me, is affirmation that I have been "allowed" by the government to carry. All in all, not worth arguing over. :twocents:

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I think it could have something to do with our issuing the license. We are a "Shall Issue" state, which means we get the license when we apply for it as long as there is nothing on our record prohibiting us from getting the license. Perhaps "May Issue" states use the term "permit" because they have to give "permission" to carry a handgun, but in Indiana, we don't need "permission", we simply have to be "licensed".

Thats my take on it, anyway.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    I'll admit that this is an issue that I'm picky on. Let me explain. Merriam-Webster defines "permit" as "To give leave/authorize", as well as "to consent to expressly or formally". The way I read the 2nd Amendment, the government on any level has no business "permitting" or "authorizing" me to carry a handgun or any firearm for that matter. Also, "license" can also be defined as "a document memorializing an agreement". That is a more acceptable definition in my opinion. My license, to me, is just a physical affirmation of my right to carry. A permit, to me, is affirmation that I have been "allowed" by the government to carry. All in all, not worth arguing over. :twocents:

^^-this-^^

I have always thought of it this way to. :+1:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I believe the biggest issue comes when someone uses the term "Concealed Carry Permit" to refer to the LTCH. The "concealed" part is inaccurate in this state. I use "LTCH" here on the board and usually "Gun Permit" in everyday speech.

The "Clip" vs "Magazine" is another issue as they are simply two different things. To me at least, using clip when you mean magazine sounds ignorant and "homeboyish".

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    "Permit to carry handgun" vs "License to carry handgun", no big deal to me. Telling me I have Conceal Carry Permit, I'll stand up and correct them everytime.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom