• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Picked up a '76 Marlin 1894 .44 mag for deer this year. Got a buck & a doe so I'll be keeping it :):
    Also traded for a '76 Super Blackhawk in the same caliber.

Thinking about getting into reloading; have zero experience in it. Saw the Lee Classic hand-loader kits and am wondering if that's a good way to start rather than buying a single stage press starter kit.

Plan on only reloading .44 caliber, unless I come across a 336 in .35 Rem.

Thanks for the input.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The Lee Classic kits are excellent for anyone who is either severely cramped for space (like you are living in your car) or needs to be able to reload ammo while out in the outback for weeks on end. I also have some in the calibers for which I have that they make them stashed away in my TEOTWAWKI kits along with a case of primers, a pound of powder, and a bullet mould.

But for everything else, a single stage press starter kit is a better way to go. Paradoxically the Classic Handloaders are best utilized by someone who already has extensive reloading experience.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Since many hunters do not shoot many rounds, a LeeLoader kit may work just fine for you, especially if you are reloading your own brass. If you are shooting less than 50 cartridges a year, the extra time is not all that much. If you are shooting 50-100 shots a week, get a press.

The guy I sold my .340 to has hunted with it three times and still has not used up the 19 rounds I gave him with the rifle.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Are you talking the Lee Classic Turret press? If so, I'll recommend it. Once set up, you can switch calibers just by switching out the turret head - this way, you can reload both .44 and your .35 Rem easily. And you can disconnect the auto-advance so you can use it as a single-stage press, but still have the other dies just a quarter-turn away. I reload 9mm, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44-40, .30-06, and .223 on mine.

ol' poke

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Are you talking the Lee Classic Turret press? If so, I'll recommend it. Once set up, you can switch calibers just by switching out the turret head - this way, you can reload both .44 and your .35 Rem easily. And you can disconnect the auto-advance so you can use it as a single-stage press, but still have the other dies just a quarter-turn away. I reload 9mm, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44-40, .30-06, and .223 on mine.

ol' poke

No, he's talking about the Whack-A-Mole set.

Classic Lee Loader : Cabela's

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Lee makes a small C press. I don't remember what it's called but it goes for around $25. They also make a hand press that goes for around $30. I like the little C press I have two set up on a board and use them. They work great for most jobs. I am a big fan of lee stuff. They make some good stuff.

I have only damaged one of there presses. It was the small C press that I was forming a case and forgot to put lube on it and it got stuck in the die and I put my considerable weight behind it and broke it from its base. I should have taken the die out and took it a part and taken the case out of the die. I don't blame the press it was me that screwed up. I had to order an other press. Now I do such stuff on a bigger Lee press.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Im using the lee anniversary single stage kit. Reloading 9 40 and 380 eventually ill do 223. I got mine on sale for a 100$ it works great and takes up no room. Eventually I will get something nicer like a progressive. But im not a high volume shooter right now so im just doing it in my spare time. Already have 1000 9 loaded on it. I think for the value its great. And I like the prime on the press because I dont have to do nothing really.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    No, I don't think this is a good choice. You will outgrow this within the first 100 rounds. So unless you are planning on only minor reloading activity, spend a little more. I have a Lee Classic Turret Press that I purchased some 25 years ago and it serves me as well today as it did when I first started reloading.

If you must save the bucks, the second choice would be the Lee Single Stage. It's a little less expensive but if you get a bunch of the quick-change bushings you can be almost as productive as with the Turret Press.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    If you must save the bucks, the second choice would be the Lee Single Stage. It's a little less expensive but if you get a bunch of the quick-change bushings you can be almost as productive as with the Turret Press.
    This is what I do. I just have a bunch of the bushings so I can swap out. Have each die set already pre-set for what I need it to be and just pop the next one in. But I decap and resize atleast 100 then prime. I just do it in batches of 100 or more so i'm not wasting time going through the steps on 1 bullet then starting the next.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The hand loader does work pretty well, but you are far better off to jump into the Lee Classic Turret Press. I got mine at Titan Reloading for like $99. Then just buy the dies for your cartridges (about $40 each). You'll need a good powder measure too no matter what you decide, since trusting Lee measuring cups leaves some room to be desired.

My best advice again is to skip both the handloader and single stage presses, and get a Lee Classic Turret Press. It is the next best thing to a progressive press, and at far less than the price of most single stage presses. People kept telling me that and I ignored them, because I was overwhelmed and wanted to keep things simple. But let me tell you that the turret press IS simple, and can easily serve as a single stage if that is how you want to start. After you do your first hundred rounds, you'll understand perfectly.

What will help is also understanding that you should buy the 4 die sets when possible, so that you have a 'powder through loading die'. Then you can attach your powder measure (i.e. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/348753/lee-pro-auto-disk-powder-measure) to the turret, and have it dump the powder directly into the case. This saves a HUGE amount of time and effort.

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    This is what I do. I just have a bunch of the bushings so I can swap out. Have each die set already pre-set for what I need it to be and just pop the next one in. But I decap and resize atleast 100 then prime. I just do it in batches of 100 or more so i'm not wasting time going through the steps on 1 bullet then starting the next.

I'm with you on that! Even though the turret press indexes the dies, I have never used it that way since I prefer to focus on one operation at a time. I also try to run batches of 50-100 through each step, then move to the next step. I find that is much more productive and I get more consistent results.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom