• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    INGO always provides well when it comes to spending other's money, right?
    There are some machining type folks in here that I'm sure have a good answer for this. A few months ago I bought a well used lathe with almost as much weight in drill bits. Some of them are in better shape, some need a little love. I have a drill doc 750 that works up to 3/4", are there any good products out there for sharpening twist bits up to 1.5" (under $500)? I have a steady hand but like the consistency of a jig. Always second guessing if I have the right angles.

Google, of course, produces 50 bot-generated listicles for the same 5 products: 3 drill doc models and 2 Chinesium grinder jigs. With some tinkering with the phrasing, I did come across some that might work... starting at $1800. or this DIY jig: https://www.christofix.com/everyone-can-sharpen-drill-bits-with-this-jig/ (best viewed with adblocker, seems like a solid article but 2x the ads as article space)

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    For large bits, I'd sharpen by hand and live with the "out of spec" angles. If you need more precision have you considered sending them out to a tool sharpener? Unless you are doing a tremendous amount of drilling large holes, I'd think that getting them sharp once would last a lifetime. Obviously I don't know your use model to know if that is true.
    --Rick

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    For far less than $1800, buy a gage and continue to hand sharpen...

7_Page-1-Image-3.jpg

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I can sharpen large drills by hand with a gauge, but I send them out to a professional toolmgrinder around the corner from me. We are charged like $3 each, and the professional resharpen holds a keen edge 4 times longer then a hand sharpen.
    I have a darex at work, with dimond wheels it was $2500 ish....
    Send your drills out! It is worth the trouble.

Now tell us about your lathe. With pictures please.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Alrighty, by hand on the grinder it is.:nailbite:

Lathe as it sits right now (Don't mind the other projects in the background) Atlas TH42
    20230302_185241.jpg

Most of the bits that came with it:
    20230302_185321.jpg
    20230302_185301.jpg

Not bad for 500 bucks. Alas several of the potmetal parts didn't age well and, though they worked at the seller's garage, came apart as soon as I got home. Luckily I found a guy who parts them out and got another headstock, gearbox, complete carriage, and milling attachment for a reasonable price.

As for the use and longevity: so far, usually steel or cast iron...
    Current demand for large bits is making and "correcting" holes to mount bushings as part of building a front end loader for my little JD445. 20210613_084517.jpg

20230228_171311.jpg

Near future project will be cleaning up the main post of my drill press and reassembling it correctly so I don't have to do this. I noticed in the course of this project it isn't quite true so I came up with this (It worked amazingly well).
    20230218_171151.jpg

Note, plastic sawhorses do not make good welding tables
    20230226_141747.jpg

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

Lathe as it sits right now (Don't mind the other projects in the background) Atlas TH42
    View attachment 259544

View attachment 259546
    View attachment 259547

Not bad for 500 bucks. Alas several of the potmetal parts didn't age well and, though they worked at the seller's garage, came apart as soon as I got home. Luckily I found a guy who parts them out and got another headstock, gearbox, complete carriage, and milling attachment for a reasonable price.

Current demand for large bits is making and "correcting" holes to mount bushings as part of building a front end loader for my little JD445. View attachment 259555
    Near future project will be cleaning up the main post of my drill press and reassembling it correctly so I don't have to do this. I noticed in the course of this project it isn't quite true so I came up with this (It worked amazingly well).
    View attachment 259536
    Your spindle has a Morse taper on the I.D. you should be able to pop the chuck off and insert a taper shank drill. Or get a boring headcwith a straight shank and grab it in the chuck or Morse taper and stuff it into the spindle taper.

Somebody spent sometime on the steady rest.

Some of the parts for these are fragile, but a decent lathe for light world. (I still prefer my south bend, but another story)

Nice lathe, keep us posted

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Your spindle has a Morse taper on the I.D. you should be able to pop the chuck off and insert a taper shank drill. Or get a boring headcwith a straight shank and grab it in the chuck or Morse taper and stuff it into the spindle taper.

Somebody spent sometime on the steady rest.

Some of the parts for these are fragile, but a decent lathe for light world. (I still prefer my south bend, but another story)

Nice lathe, keep us posted
    Doh! just read about that. Woulda made it a lot easier than that rig lol. oh well, lesson for next time

Yea, I'm trying to keep in mind it's a consumer grade tool (albeit from a different time)

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Doh! just read about that. Woulda made it a lot easier than that rig lol. oh well, lesson for next time

Yea, I'm trying to keep in mind it's a consumer grade tool (albeit from a different time)
    Keep us posted on your projects....and ask away with machine shop questions......I might have run a lathe once or twice

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

View attachment 259544

View attachment 259546
    View attachment 259547

Current demand for large bits is making and "correcting" holes to mount bushings as part of building a front end loader for my little JD445. View attachment 259555

View attachment 259559

View attachment 259536

Note, plastic sawhorses do not make good welding tables
    View attachment 259560
    I have (had) one of those big plastic trash cans that suffered a similar fate.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I haven't sharpened bits in decades.
    But if I needed to, I'd dress that wheel and get grinding without thinking about it.
    My comfort limit was down to somewhere between 3/16 - 1/8. The largest I used to sharpen was about 1 1/8, with 5/8 being the sweet spot. My eyesight was better then. But sharpening bits is like riding a bike.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I haven't sharpened bits in decades.
    But if I needed to, I'd dress that wheel and get grinding without thinking about it.
    My comfort limit was down to somewhere between 3/16 - 1/8. The largest I used to sharpen was about 1 1/8, with 5/8 being the sweet spot. My eyesight was better then. But sharpening bits is like riding a bike.
    Lord,
    As my eyes grow weak & and my hands shaky, let let me grind but one more perfect 59.

A drill grinders prayer

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My grandpa had an old Atlas like that. It was the first lathe I ever ran.

The second lathe I ever ran was 60" Bullard VTL. :D

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My grandpa had an old Atlas like that. It was the first lathe I ever ran.

The second lathe I ever ran was 60" Bullard VTL. :D
    Omg a 60" Bullard......BTW guys VTL meens vertical turret lathe. I ran a 45" Bullard on occasion.....I ran an 83" gap bed lathe.....

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    I can get you the contact for a
    Company that resharpens ours from work.
    Do they do endmills and carbide, also custom cutters? If so can get me that number would be great. The company that did my employers sharpening got bought out and they stoped doing tool grinding. First thing they did was sell the equipment and fired the employees.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Do they do endmills and carbide, also custom cutters? If so can get me that number would be great. The company that did my employers sharpening got bought out and they stoped doing tool grinding. First thing they did was sell the equipment and fired the employees.
    There is a really good tool & utter house up here in New Haven E Z CUT , I seen all our stuff there, HHS & Carbide endmills, form tools, drills...ect

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    It's done! (well, couple finishing touches left) and it worked really well at the HHRP range cleanup yesterday. Lift is a good speed but curl's god-awful slow (go figure). Hauls RR ties around like they're nothing. Didn't find anything it wouldn't lift. Pushing is another story The block in back is a CNC machine head counterweight, ballpark of 600lbs of cast iron and yes it's a bit much (Needs wheelie bars lol) but I'll just have to mount the suitcase weight rack I have.

20230413_162644.jpg
    Don't mind the tires, I noticed them too they were at only 7psi
    20230413_162714.jpg
    (Bucket's level (enough) to the tractor, camera wasn't level to it) Chain hooks came in handy!
    20230415_103824.jpg

Didn't get the grapple done in time... next week

Top Bottom