• ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Psych patient killed after attack on Mass. General doc - BostonHerald.com

Here is the article. It seems the security guard wasn't employed by the hospital, so chalk one up for CCL holders! Massachusettes apparently has some of the more restrictive gun laws, so this guy most likely had to jump through many more hoops than us.

Be sure to answer the poll! although it is a really crappy poll. They can really skew this and say "look only 63% think that a knife wielding psych patient is more scary than a security guard" when the other choices are clearly not mutually exclusive.

Many prayers for the doctor!

On another note, here is another discussion about this story from another forum geared towards student doctors Psych Patient Killed after attack on Mass Gen Doc | Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ] | Student Doctor Network

There was also an attempted rape at the same hospital a week ago

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Police identified the attacker as Jay Carciero, 37, of Reading. He is said to be 6-feet, 4-inches tall and weighed about 300 pounds, first responders tell the Herald.

It almost sounds like the pro-2nd saying:
    People in favor of gun control believe a 120lb. woman does not have the right to protect herself against a 250lb. rapist. (Just add 50lbs to the attacker and make it attempted murder...it then fits this story)

I wonder how bad the off-duty guard will be punished? THIS is Massachusettes afterall.:dunno:

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    You have got to be kidding me with that poll:

"Which is more terrifying: A psych patient with a knife or an armed off-duty security guard?"

"The real question is how many others are packing?"

Thank God he was packing...is this not a reason for more responsible armed citizens? Is there really a comparison between an armed guard and a knife wielding psycho? Makes me wonder how much of this country is really that brain dead.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Anyone know the process to get a license to carry in Massachusetts? I did a quick search with nraila.org and it seems like they don't require a class/test and they are a "may" issue state. Anyways if the guard carries for his job I am sure his employer has bent over backwards to make sure all laws were folllowed

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I voted "Neither, the doctor is lucky the guard didn’t hesitate."

The top 2 choices imply that they would prefer one of those two classes of people to be disarmed. Whenever you make decisions based on your degree of fear, you have set aside reason and logic.

Remember, psych patients are not convicted felons. If you ever get treated for anxiety or depression, do you want to give up your right to self-defense? "Psych patients" covers a broad spectrum of people, the majority of whom are non-violent. The fact is you can't know anybody's motivation.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville

The top 2 choices imply that they would prefer one of those two classes of people to be disarmed.

Remember, psych patients are not convicted felons. If you ever get treated for anxiety or depression, do you want to give up your right to self-defense?

I thought I read that the patient was being treated at the hospital in the psych unit? forgive me for saying so but I don't want to hand out knives in the psych ward. I most definitely do prefer that psych patients while in the hospital are disarmed.

f. Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

straight from 4473

Last edited:

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Just because he sought treatement doesn't mean he's been adjudicated mentally defective or committed. He may have been a regular joe trying to get some help in an outpatient setting. I can't see anything in the article that says one way or another if he was a patient there of his own free will.

Not that taking the shots in this case wasn't the right thing to do, just that taking away all self-defense rights from anyone who's ever walked into a headshrinker's office isn't necessary.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Just because he sought treatement doesn't mean he's been adjudicated mentally defective or committed. He may have been a regular joe trying to get some help in an outpatient setting. I can't see anything in the article that says one way or another if he was a patient there of his own free will.

Not that taking the shots in this case wasn't the right thing to do, just that taking away all self-defense rights from anyone who's ever walked into a headshrinker's office isn't necessary.

agreed:yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    You have got to be kidding me with that poll:

"Which is more terrifying: A psych patient with a knife or an armed off-duty security guard?"

"The real question is how many others are packing?"

Thank God he was packing...is this not a reason for more responsible armed citizens? Is there really a comparison between an armed guard and a knife wielding psycho? Makes me wonder how much of this country is really that brain dead.

The fact that anyone voted for "The Security Guard...does he have the right training?" is proof positive that there really are people for whom the mere act of breathing must be intellectually taxing.

"The real question is how many others are packing." Really? I think the REAL question in this situation is would that doctor have survived if that guard HADN'T been packing. The answer...probably not.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    no kidding, they should have added to the poll:

"This man is a hero! He saved a life, lets give him a medal!!"

But then that might just give his gun an ego, you never know when his gun will get an attitude, jump out its holster and start shooting innocent people...you know how narcistic these darn guns can get :rolleyes:

Top Bottom