• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Is there any instructors in Indiana or Ohio that teach the use of a knife in self defense? In some stats along the gulf you can find instructors teaching the use of the Bowie knife. I see gun training ads a lot but don't see knife training ads since leaving the south.

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Craig Douglas is coming to Bloomington in September...

Steve Tarani is in Lebanon usually once or more a year. I'm sure someone will be along with that info soon.
    Tarani and the Boone Co Sheriff's office have a couple of TENATIVE dates. Last year Covid canceled everything at the Sheriff's office. I have not heard any news from them lately.

Last edited:

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If they have a knife, run.

If you have a knife and they have nothing, run or go to prison.

If you have a knife and they have a gun, run and get behind cover as you do.

If you are in close quarters and can't run and can access your blade and can justify using it, stab them until they break contact. Then run.

There. Knife training.

Free. You are welcome.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    There used to be Renott in Ohio but I cannot confirm or deny they still exist.

I'd look for a Systema Russian martial art studio or Krav Maga Israeli martial arts studio. Some BJJ classes have weapons training but are usually oriented toward grappling / mma.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yes. As fast as possible. If all I had was a knife. I will likely have a 44 magnum on me, so the knife is just for boxes and such.
    That won't be very fast when you're trying to drag little kids along. Sometimes you just have to stand and fight. And I don't recommend a .44 magnum if you're in a crowded area... remember the rules about knowing what's behind your target? If you'd be justified using a pistol you'd be equally justified with a knife or a blackjack, and depending on circumstances those may be better options. I like blackjacks myself. Just be sure you can articulate why you were justified and the reasoning behind the choices you made, like doing everything you could to avoid hurting some random innocent person.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    That won't be very fast when you're trying to drag little kids along. Sometimes you just have to stand and fight. And I don't recommend a .44 magnum if you're in a crowded area... remember the rules about knowing what's behind your target? If you'd be justified using a pistol you'd be equally justified with a knife or a blackjack, and depending on circumstances those may be better options. I like blackjacks myself. Just be sure you can articulate why you were justified and the reasoning behind the choices you made, like doing everything you could to avoid hurting some random innocent person.
    First, why would I be walking in a bad area with little kids? Avoidance is the first rule. Second, I appreciate your recommendation about not carrying a 44 magnum. I can't imagine being confronted by a mugger in a crowded area since they tend to avoid committing crimes in front of crowds. If I were you, I would not carry a .44 since you don't recommend it. I, on the other hand, recommend it highly, which is why I carry one. Of course, it can also be loaded with .44 Special, so that gives me even more options. And I think blackjacks are awesome as well. I just think most "knife training" focuses on fighting other people armed with knives and assumes that you will see the blade before you feel it, which would a sure sign you are dealing with an amateur rather than a trained individual. I would encourage the OP to learn to access his gun for CQB as needed and forget about the "West Side Story" fantasy about "knife fighting."

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First, why would I be walking in a bad area with little kids? Avoidance is the first rule. Second, I appreciate your recommendation about not carrying a 44 magnum. I can't imagine being confronted by a mugger in a crowded area since they tend to avoid committing crimes in front of crowds. If I were you, I would not carry a .44 since you don't recommend it. I, on the other hand, recommend it highly, which is why I carry one. Of course, it can also be loaded with .44 Special, so that gives me even more options. And I think blackjacks are awesome as well. I just think most "knife training" focuses on fighting other people armed with knives and assumes that you will see the blade before you feel it, which would a sure sign you are dealing with an amateur rather than a trained individual. I would encourage the OP to learn to access his gun for CQB as needed and forget about the "West Side Story" fantasy about "knife fighting."
    Where have you taken knife fighting classes? Just curious? :scratch:

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Where have you taken knife fighting classes? Just curious? :scratch:
    I briefly studied some "knife fighting" with Jimmy Tacosa (escrima) when he was in Chicago. I had some experience in FMA prior to this time. I have studied knife techniques in American Kenpo. I have studied knife techniques in WWII Combatives. I hold black belts in various arts (Taekwondo, Shito-ryu Karate), and have various levels attained in Aikido and Kyokushinkai karate, and also briefly studied Japanese swordsmanship with Tetsuzan Kuroda, who is likely the finest practitioner of Japanese swordsmanship in existence. (If he is holding a "knife," especially of the long variety, you should definitely run.) In all, I devoted approximately 30 years of serious study to traditional and modern close, interpersonal, armed and unarmed conflict resolution. During and since then, I have devoted my time to understanding the use of a firearm in close quarters and how to integrate the firearm in realistic conflict. That study has lasted about 20 years. I also have worked as a police officer, a Secret Service Agent, and am currently a Federal Agent with another agency. I am currently a firearms instructor and also "assist" with Defensive Tactics. I guess you would say I am a beginner. I hope this answers your question.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    First, bad people don't limit themselves to bad areas. They can be anywhere, and they aren't necessarily known for making wise decisions, especially after maybe a 36 hour meth bender.

Second, go ahead and use the 44 in a crowded area with people all around. Don't worry about over-penetrating the skinny tweaker and maybe killing someone behind him as well.

Third, I'll agree there's a difference between knife dueling and fighting with a knife. Knife duels don't really happen in the real world. But the other guy might have a piece of rebar, or a tire thumper, or a stun gun, or brass knuckles, or any number of things and be on you quick as ****. I'm not against cutting some dude off me if I need to.

Also, there have been times where I've not been able to carry a firearm on my person due to where I was going and how I had to dress, but I could get away with a knife. Is it ideal? No. But sometimes it's the best I can do. And with that in mind, a little training can't hurt.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    First, bad people don't limit themselves to bad areas. They can be anywhere, and they aren't necessarily known for making wise decisions, especially after maybe a 36 hour meth bender.

Second, go ahead and use the 44 in a crowded area with people all around. Don't worry about over-penetrating the skinny tweaker and maybe killing someone behind him as well.

Third, I'll agree there's a difference between knife dueling and fighting with a knife. Knife duels don't really happen in the real world. But the other guy might have a piece of rebar, or a tire thumper, or a stun gun, or brass knuckles, or any number of things and be on you quick as ****. I'm not against cutting some dude off me if I need to.

Also, there have been times where I've not been able to carry a firearm on my person due to where I was going and how I had to dress, but I could get away with a knife. Is it ideal? No. But sometimes it's the best I can do. And with that in mind, a little training can't hurt.
    1. Agreed bad people can attack you in crowded areas, but it is rare.

2. In crowded areas, I use Specials. Solves that problem.

3. Most knife classes are knife dueling classes. Low practicality. Lots of fun, though.

4. I always have a gun. Sorry some aren't able.

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Steve Tarani’s Advanced Edged Weapons/ Karambit @ Boone County Sheriff's Office

December 4-5, 2021

Price $275

Learn the critical skills for using a fixed or folding blade in self-defense. What’s the best knife for everyday personal carry? What’s the difference in performance between serrated and non-serrated edges? What is blade geometry and which features should you look for in a fixed or folding knife?

Your fixed, folding or curved blade is useless to you in any self-defense situation unless you can readily access it, deploy it and be ready to fight for your life. In this course, you will be introduced to realistic defensive and rapid deployment of both folding and fixed blades. You will be trained in what to do if you have nothing in your hands and you were attacked by one or more assailants wielding an edged weapon.

You will also be introduced to the curve blade – how it is used, its advantages over a straight edge and what makes the curved blade such a unique defensive tool employed at conversational ranges. There is no prerequisite for this course. Instruction includes: Pros and cons of fixed/ folding/ straight/ curved blades, carry, access, rapid deployment, edged weapon handling and unarmed defense against edged weapons, critical dynamics of personal security, the truth about disarming, what are and how to defend against the seven lethal strike points of the body.

Steve's biography and more information about him can be found at https://stevetarani.com/ .

To register for one of Steve Tarani's courses, please go to https://fs17.formsite.com/mbeard/tarani/index.html.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    A "class' isn't going to do much for you honestly; Craig douglas' ECQC not withstanding and ECQC isn't strictly knifework. Knife fighting as a rule is a good way to lose at least a digit... assuming that you win.

I second the idea of taking up systema, maybe MMA... perhaps even something like Sambo, BJJ, or just wrestling. You can take those basics and layer a class over them. With that base you'll get a LOT from either ECQC, or some of Tim Kennedys classes.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I live by a simple rule......

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

I do not have the mobility, nor the agility that I had in my 30's. heck not even in my 40's because of health issues.
    So I'm not capable a dancing around all West Side Story, Jets and Sharks style, nor am I gonna do my Paul Hogan
    Crocodile Dundee impersonation because I might have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Tae Kwon Do, BJJ, Karate, Silat, June fan kune do. I've trained with all the recommended ingo firearms trainers. I'm lost on Vanguards back and forth on training. I've trained with some of the best handgun shooters in the united states. Complimenting your firearms training with edged weapons weakens me how?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Tae Kwon Do, BJJ, Karate, Silat, June fan kune do. I've trained with all the recommended ingo firearms trainers. I'm lost on Vanguards back and forth on training. I've trained with some of the best handgun shooters in the united states. Complimenting your firearms training with edged weapons weakens me how?

I don't think I've seen anyone say that knife training weakens anyone.

Age and health is a determining factor in one's ability to fight off a attack with a edged weapon.
    As you get older, mobility and health issues factor in, you'll realize that is not a option and can be over powered easily.
    Before my health issues when I was 54, there would have been no thought about this. I played basketball 3-4 times a week, and with my job of 31 years of hauling beer I was more fit than a lot of 25 year olds.

Today that is not a option for myself and many men who are out of their youth, I'll utilize the CQC firearm exercises I have done.

Top Bottom