• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joegrz308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2015
    Lake County
    I have a Kimber Custom that I purchased 20 years ago. Ever since I purchased it it has shot slightly to the left. I tried tapping the rear sight shortly after I purchased it without budging it. So, for the last twenty years I aimed slightly to the right of my target. I recently purchased a sight tool which I used successfully on several pistols without incident. When I tried use it on the Kimber, I still could not budge the sight. I purchased new sights for my Kimber and was determined to replace them today. Wow was that a job! It took a strong vice and a big hammer and heavy duty punch to remove that rear sight. I have never had a problem with most sight replacement. Is Kimber just an anomaly? Anyone else have trouble with Kimber sights?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have a Kimber Custom that I purchased 20 years ago. Ever since I purchased it it has shot slightly to the left. I tried tapping the rear sight shortly after I purchased it without budging it. So, for the last twenty years I aimed slightly to the right of my target. I recently purchased a sight tool which I used successfully on several pistols without incident. When I tried use it on the Kimber, I still could not budge the sight. I purchased new sights for my Kimber and was determined to replace them today. Wow was that a job! It took a strong vice and a big hammer and heavy duty punch to remove that rear sight. I have never had a problem with most sight replacement. Is Kimber just an anomaly? Anyone else have trouble with Kimber sights?
    No, your Kimber wasn't an anomoly lol, i've been known to basically just cut them in half to get them out.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    And not just solely on a Kimber either.
    I'll definitely agree. Have a Xds that I couldn't get the sights to budge on. Many attempts. Slide soaked in oil. Heat gun. No luck
    Finally broke down and paid $40 to have it done for me

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Yes KImbers are known for hard to move sights. I have one that I purchased years ago that was beat up pretty badly from someone trying to punch the sights. I have always used my old Meprolight sight pusher with some CLP added to reduce friction. My toughest was a Springfield 1911.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I took a couple different metal punches and milled them to fit in the specific trapezoids to drift sights. Some are worse and I know for a fact that many are swedged into place using a hydraulic press and fitted slide block as it is faster without damage to the sights and slide. The slides are heated to 350° (grow) and the sights are pressed into place.

Top Bottom