• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I wanted to add an RDS to my sub2k for steel challenge use. I also didn't want to spend the $100 on the Kel Tec setup. So i spent about 20 bucks on this plus the Bushnell TRS-25 for 70-30 mail in rebate.

My intial plan was to create a back plate for the rail. I couldn't find a piece of aluminum that was thin enough. I did try a piece and it was just very difficult to get in there. I was going to epoxy the nut to the back plate so i could tighten the rail down.

Plan B was to epoxy the nuts to the inside of the stock forearm. This actually worked well. It was more of a last ditch effort that worked. I used lock tite on the bolt so as long as the epoxy would hold the nut long enough to get the bolt tight, i would most likely be good. Well it held and it's very stable. For reference the hex bolt i used is 1/2 an inch long and it is just about the perfect length not to hit the barrel. I did sand where the rail was going to go since where the two plastic halves meet wasn't perfectly smooth. I also cut the front hood as you can see in the 2nd picture. This wan't completely necessary but it did clear up the view. Rather than cut the the "ears" of the rear sight so it can fold down i just removed it for now.

I will be adding the tacticool buffer and bolt tube cover and the gun will be complete.

sub2k_1.jpg

sub2k_2.jpg

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    For me, the selling feature of these rifles is it's ability to fold and stow away discreetly. Don't get me wrong, it's a neat idea. Let us know how your mount holds zero.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    For me, the selling feature of these rifles is it's ability to fold and stow away discreetly. Don't get me wrong, it's a neat idea. Let us know how your mount holds zero.

Agreed. I set a goal to win the state steel challenge championship for carbine next year. So to level the playing field I got an optic. I can easily remove it and fold it, but i won't be doing that until after the October match. I could cut the ears off the rear sight but then it wouldn't stand up when unfolded.
    That is why I simply removed it so I can add it back later. And if for some reason the optic fails during a match it only takes a few minutes to add it back.

Top Bottom