• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    I almost always keep a handgun in my car, but Im undecided on what to do now that we're coming into winter. Some tell me the car warming up during the day will cause condensation......which will obviously cause rust. I set out a couple weeks ago to find something on the cheaper end to keep as a car gun. Something along the polymer flavor. You'll notice I don't own anything polymer at the moment. Not that I dislike polymer, just don't prefer it. Anyway I was thinking of getting a glock, m&p, or xd but then found a great deal on a p226 elite that was barely(if any) more than one of those would have cost me. Anyway, what do you guys do about keeping a gun in your vehicle? The thought of one of my nice sigs or emp rusting in my car during the day is unsettling to say the least. Bringing it in the house every night is possible, yet would get annoying quickly. Taking it in while at work is not an option. Should I find a $300-350ish "cheapy" or is this even a real concern? What's your opinion?

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    My vehicle is NEVER left unlocked. Its a late model vehicle with a factory alarm. Its not a huge concern of mine. Keeping it on me at all times just isn't realistic

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    i usually have my EDC glock 19 on my person but every once in a blue moon ill be driving along and realize i was in a hurry and didnt bring along my travelin partner. ive been thinkin about just putting a sigma in the glove box and leaving it there for those occasions when i find myself unarmed and too far away to go back to the house. ive never been a fan of the sigma(though for some reason i have 3):dunno: and i wouldnt be too worried about the rust issues i would just wrap it up in a sock or one of those nice padded pistol cases you can get at gander or dicks or whatever gunshop you happen to have in your area.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    i usually have my EDC glock 19 on my person but every once in a blue moon ill be driving along and realize i was in a hurry and didnt bring along my travelin partner. ive been thinkin about just putting a sigma in the glove box and leaving it there for those occasions when i find myself unarmed and too far away to go back to the house. ive never been a fan of the sigma(though for some reason i have 3):dunno: and i wouldnt be too worried about the rust issues i would just wrap it up in a sock or one of those nice padded pistol cases you can get at gander or dicks or whatever gunshop you happen to have in your area.

Remember this, if anyone besides yourself is ever driving your car, and you are not in it, "THEY" had better have their LTCH !!!

Had this happen to a friend of mine;
    He left his EDC in the glove box of his car, and then went to town with a friend (me), later his son had an appointment, like all teenagers his car was out of gas so Mom said, drive your Dads car to the SCHOOL program! She never even thought about Dad's EDC in the glove box.

By the grace of God, nothing bad happened, but oh brother could it have gone VERY VERY bad!

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    So, what about when u get to work? At my job, having a gun on me (& getting caught of course) = FIRED!

Do you not carry to/from work?

I rarely carry on my person. Just don't. Like the idea of having it in my car though. right now my p220 is between the console and my seat in a holster and is very quickly accessible yet you wouldn't see it unless you were looking for it.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well sir, I am NOT a cop so carrying a gun 24/7 isn't what Im wanting to do.

Next

That had absolutely nothing to do with what I said....:n00b:.....maintain, meaning maintenance, oil, service...etc. I said nothing about being a cop or carrying everywhere. But since you said that I will say this,...I'm not a cop either but I always carry.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    interesting point panama, however. if someone else was driving my vehicle and the pistol is in the glove box, wouldnt this be legal under state law as the driver is merely transporting the firearm as opposed to carrying it? im not altogether sure so any legal eagles pls chime in!

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    Do you work at one of the facilities exempted from the "parking lot" law?

I don't think so. Im not familiar with this law though. I remember reading sometime back that employers possibly not being allowed to tell you can't have a gun in your car or something of that nature.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A locking glove box or center console can add an extra layer of security while the car is parked at work. It's not fool proof, but it is better than throwing it in a door pocket or under a seat.

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    That had absolutely nothing to do with what I said....:n00b:.....maintain, meaning maintenance, oil, service...etc. I said nothing about being a cop or carrying everywhere. But since you said that I will say this,...I'm not a cop either but I always carry.

sorry, I thought you were saying to keep it on me at all times. My bad. I do carry sometimes but not to drive to work or home. I do maintain my stuff though. How often would you take it in and clean it? also, is there maybe an oil that would help offset corrosion in temp changing environments?

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    interesting point panama, however. if someone else was driving my vehicle and the pistol is in the glove box, wouldnt this be legal under state law as the driver is merely transporting the firearm as opposed to carrying it? im not altogether sure so any legal eagles pls chime in!

If its loaded, they'd be screwed.

Top Bottom