• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Just picked up a new S&W Sigma 40 Cal. with Laserlyte site. Has anyone used this handgun ? And if so what did you think of it. Gander Mountain has a really good price on them right now. Thanks

Biggdogg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Indianapolis/Greenwood
    Just picked up a new S&W Sigma 40 Cal. with Laserlyte site. Has anyone used this handgun ? And if so what did you think of it. Gander Mountain has a really good price on them right now. Thanks

To tell the truth...I hated it and sold it about 3 weeks after I bought it and fired it. The trigger pull on it was EXTREMELY HEAVY (and I'm 6'1", 300 lbs. mind you) and you'd be lucky to put two rounds even remotely close to each other. Hopefully you have better luck with yours than I did!

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    i have a .40 sigma definately not one of my favorites it kicks like a mule but is very accurate and yes it does have a very heavy trigger which starts to loosen up after about 1k rounds or so i dry fired the hell out of mine ive also heard that beechgrove firearms does a pretty nice trigger job on them.

JakeJ277

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Had one and think there are better ones out there but the price is hard to argue with. Trigger pull is pretty heavy but you've gotta love the quick and easy field strip. I've heard from others that if you keep it clean it will last you a long time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I owned two of the original SW40F pistols. Most of the Sigma's bad reputation arose from those early guns, much deserved, but some not. It never recovered. More recent guns are significantly better. The trigger pull is not great, but it's a lot better than the originals. The current version of the Sigma is reliable, serviceable weapon at a modest price.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Sigmas are great guns on the cheap. I could hit anything with my 9VE, only thing I didn't like is that it wouldn't feed the silver wolf 9mm. Not really a bad thing normally but I happened to buy a hundred rounds before I new that, LOL.

I sold it and all my autos to get into revolvers.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I had a SW40VE and couldnt stand it. The trigger pull lbs is too much and threw shots off the target. I could have had the trigger fixed but rather got rid of it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If anything, they make a good inexpensive self-defense gun in .40. It's ALWAYS better to have a gun than not. :D

My first every handgun was a Makarov .380, followed by the Sigma in .40 when they first came out.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I have the Sigma 40, and cannot say I'm impressed with the trigger pull. Also it seems to have a much "sharper" recoil than my Taurus 24/7. The overall quality is what I would expect from a S&W. So I would not say it is "bad"...just not my first choice if I needed to pick up a handgun.

bdwarr6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    I will say that while I agree with many other statements made by other former and present sigma owners, its to each and his own, the sw40ve was my first handgun I ever owned, and I in turn learned to shoot with it. I love the thing but it has many down falls.

I have put about 2,500 rounds through the sigma. Not one miss fire, I did get a bad magazine though that I ordered from some place online but never one hitch with the actual weapon.

Firstly the laser sight is cheap, mine broke while tightening it, as it came loose during shooting.

Secondly, the rear sites float if you push them they will move and after about 1,000 rounds need re adjusted this is why many owners complain that it is inaccurate.

In conclusion I have no plans to get rid of the sigma its a very reliable and nice weapon for the price.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    My first pistol was a .40 sigma 40VE. I just sold here a few weeks ago. The reason I got rid of it was because i wanted an all steel gun and a 9mm. I only put about 200-250 rounds through it and yes the trigger pull is long. But a $20 spring kit from Wolff Springs supposedly almost entirely fixes that problem.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    my first semi-auto. its my bedroom gun and one of my carry guns. eats everything, not one single FTF, FTE, etc after at least 500 rounds, if not more. is it the greatest gun ever? no. but for $300, i have a reliable weapon that i can trust.

Top Bottom