Jericho or Canik pistols "pecking" order?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    How do the Jericho and/or Canik pistols (9mm) rank along with the regular solid manufacturers:
    S/W
    Ruger
    Beretta
    CZ

I have mostly Ruger guns that have escaped the "trimming." (5)
    I call them the Toyota Corolla of the gun brands.
    I've had probably more S/W & CZ in the past.
    I have presently four S/W & one CZ of each left now.

I just got through with having fun with a couple of Kahrs (since I'd never had them before), but I liked my Rugers better.
    Never went down the Jericho or Canik route, but it does get my attention when I see them with extras and great pricing ($300+/-; my sweet spot), not that I won't buy anything under $300 in a hurry (if I haven't already had it :laugh:).
    Picked up a Hi-Standard revolver this week for $250 that I wasn't looking for, but that doesn't account for the "want," :dunno:.
    And, I unexpectedly liked it better than anticipated: just fun to shoot since the sights are accurate even though fixed. Surprising. :dunno:

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    My Jericho 941 has an excellent trigger pull in both DA and SA. Fit and finish is also excellent. I would rank the Jericho pistol right alongside the other high quality mainstream handgun brands - top shelf for a mainstream production gun basically.

No experience with Canik.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My Jericho 941 has an excellent trigger pull in both DA and SA. Fit and finish is also excellent. I would rank the Jericho pistol right alongside the other high quality mainstream handgun brands - top shelf for a mainstream production gun basically.
    No experience with Canik.

I had read good things about the Jericho.
    I was told that the Canik was like less expensive Walthers.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Canik currently only makes polymer frame striker fired pistols. The TP9SF line has internal design copied from the Walther PPQ. They are pretty nice guns (with very nice triggers) for the price. They recently began selling models with one mag around $300 which is a steal.
    You might be able to hit both your interests (Canik and IWI Jericho) if you look at a Tristar pistol. Tristar imports Canik's hammer fired line and sells them as Tristar. These are CZ copies and the T-120 has the beveled dust cover so it looks like a Jericho but is lighter with an aluminum frame. Jericho is steel frame and I think you prefer heavier pistols so you might look at Tristar S-120 or P-120 full size steel frame. They sell new for around $370 and under $300 used. S-120 is a CZ 75 copy and P-120 is a CZ SP-01 copy.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Not sure I'd really draw much comparison between them functionally. striker fired vs DA/SA hammer is kind of a different market. What are you looking for them for?

Canik currently only makes polymer frame striker fired pistols. The TP9SF line has internal design copied from the Walther PPQ. They are pretty nice guns (with very nice triggers) for the price. They recently began selling models with one mag around $300 which is a steal.
    You might be able to hit both your interests (Canik and IWI Jericho) if you look at a Tristar pistol. Tristar imports Canik's hammer fired line and sells them as Tristar. These are CZ copies and the T-120 has the beveled dust cover so it looks like a Jericho but is lighter with an aluminum frame. Jericho is steel frame and I think you prefer heavier pistols so you might look at Tristar S-120 or P-120 full size steel frame. They sell new for around $370 and under $300 used. S-120 is a CZ 75 copy and P-120 is a CZ SP-01 copy.

Jerichos/baby eagles are also available with a polymer frame. one thing that has turned me off to most variants is the slide-mounted safety... not a fan of those.

They're CZ75 clones of course but dimensionally Tanfoglios, not CZs.

Classic Firearms has a pallet of LEO trade ins right now for a good price. downside is weathered exterior and SA but beautiful shooting gun. conversation here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/473609-jericho-941-serial-numbers.html#post8064359

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought an IWI "Baby Eagle" in .40S&W a few years back.
    All steel frame, it's a very solid gun and easy to shoot.

I much prefer steel to polymer frames.
    Just old school I guess.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I bought an IWI "Baby Eagle" in .40S&W a few years back.
    All steel frame, it's a very solid gun and easy to shoot.

I much prefer steel to polymer frames.
    Just old school I guess.

It's satisfying just racking the slide and hearing the solid chunks of steel slide smoothly back and forth hitting the end-stops. Kinda like older cars vs new ones. they may check all the boxes and be better on paper, they may be (probably are) faster, more efficient, etc but they just aren't as fun to drive.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I never had any trouble with my canik, only reason I got rid of it was to fund another purchase. It wasn't my daily carry but I definitely would have trusted it as such and have been considering buying another.

Top Bottom