• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I agree that the roundness of the stake does look a little odd. I think all of mine have a more "V"-shaped stake, but it looks like they should be ok. If you are concerned you might mark them and just watch to see if they turn after shooting.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    My concern was that any BCG's I've ever had at least appeared to bite into the Allen head screws. These seem more flush than staked. Google images show worse and better.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I remember this debacle a few years ago, when BCG's were stupid expensive and difficult to find in stock. It has quite a bit to do with the PSA carrier and how they've changed.
    It makes a good read even if the OP's is not a PSA. Shows several things, from the lack of manners and decorum outside of INGO, the attitude of some of the mods, the way PSA handles it's customer base, lots to see.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/610107_Received_the_PSA_BCG_Pictures_included.html&page=1

Anyway, sorry for the threadjack, thought it may apply and be relevant if it is from PSA.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Frankly, I'd prefer to see the bolt heads dinged in a bit. Their circumference seems uninterrupted in the pic. Maybe overkill on my part.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Weak but keep an eye on them. Let me guess it's probably a PSA. Put it in a vice and use a center punch to give you a better peace of mind. That's what I did for the 4 I own. I have BCM gas keys on backup in case I ever need them.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm with Coserman. That doesn't look to be properly staked to MY preference. If it works for you, it works for you. However, if they claim that is a "premium" stake job, I would disagree. The screws should not be able to turn when staked properly. Those look like they can still turn without any difficulty.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I'd like to see the SHCS get pinched but there should be enough contact of the knurling to keep it from spinning out.

Not desirable, but I've seen worse. Just shoot it.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I saw some pics a while ago showing where a key was "staked" by making a slit across the bcg and screw head with a dremel cut off wheel... :dunno: ...people are dumb.
    I'd screw with it a little with a center punch as mentioned earlier. Thats just how I roll.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Every company has a different definition of "premium". I wouldn't stress about it, but those words a lot of times are whats called "marketing"

^^This^^

Just a way to drum up the price on a given item. If it bothers you put it in a vice and hit it with a punch, if not just use the thing. Either way Im sure it will do you just fine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom