• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    I am asking for the knowledge of ingo to verify or correct my thinking. My church has a daycare facility that offers preschool. I perform most of the maintance around the church. According to IC 35-47-9-1, by receiving permission from the director I become an authorized person. I may be completely misunderstanding this concept. Just wanting to make sure I have myself covered.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local; Law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function; to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Not necessarily. My church has a daycare as part of their ministry. They also have a license number which makes it a no no.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Want to be the test case?

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local; Law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function; to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    If the daycare is not required to be licensed, regardless if they are or not, you don't need permission.

Edit: You guys beat me to it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wait a second. You're saying they may not be required, but they still may be licensed? And, if that's the case, you're gtg? How would you know if they are required?

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Wait a second. You're saying they may not be required, but they still may be licensed? And, if that's the case, you're gtg? How would you know if they are required?
    That is correct. You would have to look up the regulations for daycares and what requires them to be licensed as written in the IC or IAC. I have no idea where to even begin looking on this matter but I'm sure someone here knows.

Edit: I did a little bit of looking and I think your answer will be found somewhere under IC 12-17.

Last edited:

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    Is there a difference between state registered and state licensed. There is a state registration hanging outside the office. It also does mention ministry on the registration.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Is there a difference between state registered and state licensed. There is a state registration hanging outside the office. It also does mention ministry on the registration.

It is a voluntary registration/certification. Ministries are not required to be registered or licensed with the state.

In this case, "ministry" is a category of child care. It should not be confused with the more common meaning of proselytizing.

Top Bottom