• ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Anyone here have an above ground pool?
    I’m trying to find info on one of the large Intex steel frame pools VS a traditional large above ground pool.

Cost wise, I know the Intex is less that a $1k, and the other is probably $12k without a deck.

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Anyone here have an above ground pool?
    I’m trying to find info on one of the large Intex steel frame pools VS a traditional large above ground pool.

Cost wise, I know the Intex is less that a $1k, and the other is probably $12k without a deck.

Anyone have any thoughts on these?
    We started with a 15' intex. Got 4 years out of it before sprung a leak. Luckily i bought and extended warranty. This was during the covid scam so pools weren't readily available and got a full refund. So we upgraded to an 18'.

No issues but if you go this route upgrade to a good sand filter and pump system. Will make maintenance simple.

Also it needs to be taken down each year. They are not made for the freezing temps we have over winter

20230621_182522.jpg

20230621_182528.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    We started with a 15' intex. Got 4 years out of it before sprung a leak. Luckily i bought and extended warranty. This was during the covid scam so pools weren't readily available and got a full refund. So we upgraded to an 18'.

No issues but if you go this route upgrade to a good sand filter and pump system. Will make maintenance simple.

Also it needs to be taken down each year. They are not made for the freezing temps we have over winter

View attachment 282638

View attachment 282639

Why a sand filter and not a cartridge?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The filter is their issue.
    Usually they do not come with a great or good enough filter. Upgrade it and drain in winter.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Why a sand filter and not a cartridge?
    We did 2 years on the pump and cartridge filter set up that comes with. Adjusting chemicals constantly to keep levels where they need to be. Was a pita

Fact of the matter is the included pumps just don't move enough water.

Since switching to the sand filter and higher gpm pump, chemicals are minimal. We use Chlorox 6-1 or 7-1, forget what it is off top of my head, in a floater and that's it. Crystal clear water. Just simpler to maintain all around

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    We did 2 years on the pump and cartridge filter set up that comes with. Adjusting chemicals constantly to keep levels where they need to be. Was a pita

Fact of the matter is the included pumps just don't move enough water.

Since switching to the sand filter and higher gpm pump, chemicals are minimal. We use Chlorox 6-1 or 7-1, forget what it is off top of my head, in a floater and that's it. Crystal clear water. Just simpler to maintain all around

Guess I’m confused as to why a sand filter is better? Why would one get a sand filter and not replace the included filter with a cartridge filter with a higher GPH?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Guess I’m confused as to why a sand filter is better? Why would one get a sand filter and not replace the included filter with a cartridge filter with a higher GPH?
    Cartridge filters have to be constantly removed and cleaned. We would have to clean daily and replace weekly. They clog quickly and in turn starve the pump causing pump failure. We kept ours up so no issues there.

It's strictly a convenience thing. Less maintenance means more time to enjoy the pool and not curse at it

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Just picked up a 16’ bestway at Menards. Also went with the added sand filter. I did everything by myself. It was easy, just don’t shortcut making the ground prep level. I put very little water in first( maybe an inch) to stretch the liner. Filling it up as we speak. CB17B826-92E8-4163-98AF-FEFAE66FADA4.jpeg

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We had a 15' Intex for roughly 10 years. Started to wear through the bottom in a couple places but we go our moneys worth out of it for sure. Ran the cartridge filter system the entire time. We bought it at Walmart before Christmas on a clearance rack, not sure we gave $200 for it.

Bought a 18' Bestway three years ago. Built a set of stairs and small platform as the ladders they come with suck.

Make sure the ground is nice and level, my Intex was always off. When I bought the Bestway I had a buddy come over with his Bobcat and level everything out.

They work for now until rates come down and we can actually get a house with an in ground pool.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    That’s a good idea. Did you make the platform run beside the pool or cantilever over the frame rails? You gave me another project to do.

I have these steps leading into the pool, found them used on FB for $100. I then made a set of 3ft. wide steps going up to the top rail using a step stringer, then hooked the steps I made to the white, plastic steps going into the pool. I built hand rails and put down anti slip decals on the steps as well.

On the bottom I used 2-2X4's, sanded them down smooth and tapered the ends up like skis. There is no way to drive into my back yard, these "skis" made it easy to push/pull through the grass as this thing is very heavy. I built it in my shop and work, then transported it home.

pool.jpg

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I have these steps leading into the pool, found them used on FB for $100. I then made a set of 3ft. wide steps going up to the top rail using a step stringer, then hooked the steps I made to the white, plastic steps going into the pool. I built hand rails and put down anti slip decals on the steps as well.

On the bottom I used 2-2X4's, sanded them down smooth and tapered the ends up like skis. There is no way to drive into my back yard, these "skis" made it easy to push/pull through the grass as this thing is very heavy. I built it in my shop and work, then transported it home.

View attachment 282786
    That’s a little fancier than the Red Green version I was picturing in my head:D

Top Bottom