• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    So I've been looking to get a suppressor recently and I had a question as to what type was better. I plan on getting a Ruger Mark III for plinking on my property and I thought it would be a good use of my $200 to invest in getting a quality suppressor. So I've been thinking about possibly getting a Gemtech Oasis because I thought it gave a good appearance almost indistinguishable from the non-suppressed pistol, but I wanted to know the pros and cons of this setup. Also I'd appreciate it if anyone has a good .22 can to recommend!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I wanted to know the pros and cons of this setup.

Integral suppressors are typically a bit quieter and give a cleaner look, but detachables are more versatile in that you can move the can around from gun to gun. I am all about getting the most bang (or in this case, pfffft!) for my tax stamp buck, so I would never consider an integral can.

Also I'd appreciate it if anyone has a good .22 can to recommend!

I run a Gemtech Outback (the Outback-II is the current model) and have been pretty pleased with it. I have also heard a Tactical Innovations TAC-67 in action on a friend's gun; it was quieter than the Outback, but also larger and heavier. Most of the TAC series cans can be disassembled for cleaning, if that's important to you.

HTH!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'll agree with Shooter521 on all points. I wouldn't buy an integrally suppressed pistol, especially as a first can, because of the lack of versatility. I have an OutbackII and a TI Quest. The Outback is as quiet as you want, and light. The Quest is heavy as lead (100% stainless) but still quiet and can be taken apart for cleaning. I don't drink the 'you gotta take 'em apart' kool-aid, but I use the Quest for full auto shooting so cleaning is more necessary. When shot on a semi, just for recreational fun, a sealed can is perfectly fine.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I agree with shooter521 and VUPD, a stand alone can is just more versatile.

I run a Tac-Innovations Stratus suppressor on a Ruger MKII 22/45, I also have a Pac-lite upper on my 22/45. This is a very clean setup as the Pac-lite upper and the Stratus have the exact same finish, it is virtually seemless.

My "kit".
    33732PACSTRATUSkit_005.jpg

Assembled.
    33732PACLITEStratus_003.jpg

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    OMG you guys are like Vincent on "Collateral"!

I have to admit, that's where I got the idea to use a Ruger Mark III as a host weapon for the suppressor. :rolleyesedit:
    Plus I was jealous of bigcraig's!

Last edited:

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Ive got a Gemtech on order. It will share time between my Savage MKII and my P22, and whatever the hell else I feel like buying in .22.. like a GSG-5 and a dedicated AR upper..:cool:

Top Bottom