• ...and so much more!
  • zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Here is the story.

My girlfriend is 23 and is currently going to school. 40k+ a year.

She works during the summer time and brings home 6-9k a year.
    Her school decided this year they weren't going to offer insurance to them anymore.

She has been denied by medicaid and HIP (Healthy Indiana plan).

She has looked at Obamacare and it would be in the ballpark of 160/month and 6500 deductible.

She only works 3 months out of the year.
    Can someone help me out and try to figure out if there are any other options left for her?

She is going to be appealing HIP.

Thanks.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I thought HIP was dead in the water now because it did not meet the minimums of the Affordable Care Act requirements. I could be wrong. If she lives with her parents, I think the new law says her parents group insurance has to cover her to age 26. Not 100% sure on that though.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I wish I could help, but all I have to offer is a snide remarks about Obamacare.

....and I'll bet the University program was not Obamacare compliant and it could not afford to provide a compliant plan.

When I was in law school, I had catastrophic insurance only- through the ABA. That makes sense for young people, but sorry, Obama doesn't want cheap insurance to be an option.

zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Tagging to see the outcome. May be in a similar situation soon.

Hopefully you're not. It's a mess..

I thought HIP was dead in the water now because it did not meet the minimums of the Affordable Care Act requirements. I could be wrong. If she lives with her parents, I think the new law says her parents group insurance has to cover her to age 26. Not 100% sure on that though.

Simply put, She doesn't live with her mom.

You are correct about covering children/young adults until they are 26.

HIP stopped taking applications about 2 weeks ago or so because they hit their quota of people they could accept or something along those lines.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I thought now days children remained as dependents until about 40-45 years old....seriously though, I am going through this with my daughter right now.....she is 20 and full time student, no summer job. Not sure how we are going to move forward either....good luck to you guys though.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I work for one of the largest insurance companies in the US and they provide individual health insurance plans for people that don't have insurance through employers or spouses

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    If anyone else wants details, I will be more than happy to help. I don't like to publicly reveal my employer (and they feel the same) but I will PM any details upon request if it means helping out fellow brethren. I will let you know that the bigger insurance companies that come to mind (Progressive, State Farm, Allstate, etc) do carry individual health insurance plans, and might be worth looking in to (especially if you already carry home or auto insurance with them)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Hopefully you're not. It's a mess..

Simply put, She doesn't live with her mom.

You are correct about covering children/young adults until they are 26.

HIP stopped taking applications about 2 weeks ago or so because they hit their quota of people they could accept or something along those lines.

She doesn't have to live with her mom to have insurance through her mom.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom