• ...and so much more!
  • Hellboy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2023
    Charlestown
    I'm about to start building a 22 for my nephew to start learning on and would appreciate some insight. I always get the kids around me their first rifle and customize it for them around 5-7. I have built Rascals and crickets for all of the youth starters before for the most part but I'd appreciate a discussion on it and any input on the Henry Mini Bolt. I like what I have read on the mini bolt but there ain't much for hands-on info, anyone had one? Do you have another starter rifle you prefer?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Ruger American Rimfire Compact. The stock has adapters that are cheap and readily available to change the LOP for when they get bigger. It's also better constructed than a lot of the "kid" guns out there, and uses 10/22 mags. It's a first gun that they'd be happy to have and use for the rest of their life.

The CZ 457 Scout is another, although the factory and aftermarket support for that one isn't quite as abundant or inexpensive as the Ruger. It's an even nicer rifle, though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I started both my kids with a 10/22 in one of these stocks. it REALLY lightens the rifle, especially up front.

And when they are ready, you can put it back to adult config.

And its so light and fun if Im going solo to the range and want a rimfire with irons, I take my daughter's over my tricked out heavy barrel. LOL

Hellboy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2023
    Charlestown
    I started both my kids with a 10/22 in one of these stocks. it REALLY lightens the rifle, especially up front.

And when they are ready, you can put it back to adult config.

And its so light and fun if Im going solo to the range and want a rimfire with irons, I take my daughter's over my tricked out heavy barrel. LOL
    I agree and I appreciate the input for me. I keep the kids to a bolt action, per my deal with the mothers it tends to be. I build them a new rifle every year or 2 after that pending their interest and skills where they build up to lever actions and semi-auto. I have not dealt with that stock before and may build myself a new 10/22 to make for a new project with this because I love a 22 just for some easy-range time. How does the action feed when you transition to this stock?

Hellboy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2023
    Charlestown
    Ruger American Rimfire Compact. The stock has adapters that are cheap and readily available to change the LOP for when they get bigger. It's also better constructed than a lot of the "kid" guns out there, and uses 10/22 mags. It's a first gun that they'd be happy to have and use for the rest of their life.
    I have never even looked at these for the kids but you make it sound good so I'll do some research, thanks for the input.
    The CZ 457 Scout is another, although the factory and aftermarket support for that one isn't quite as abundant or inexpensive as the Ruger. It's an even nicer rifle, though.

I had one of these and loved it but I agree that it wasn't very modularity was lacking. but for out-the-box 22, it was a tack driver and felt sturdy even in my meat mits.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree and I appreciate the input for me. I keep the kids to a bolt action, per my deal with the mothers it tends to be. I build them a new rifle every year or 2 after that pending their interest and skills where they build up to lever actions and semi-auto. I have not dealt with that stock before and may build myself a new 10/22 to make for a new project with this because I love a 22 just for some easy-range time. How does the action feed when you transition to this stock?
    How does it feeD or how does it feeL?

So I'll answer both.
    it feeds normally, and it feels great.

You can get single shot adapter sleds for 10/22s. Guys 3d print them and sell them on ebay.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The nicest option, easily available, are the CZ Scout rifles. Bar none.

Beyond that, you're into some much more esoteric rifles, or going full custom. The issue with custom is that most of the market is built around heavy/accurate...both of which are kind of anti-kid.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    This was the options were limits 25 years ago when I bought my first one.
    Chipmonks in the blue are 22LR and the stainless is in 17 M2. manual cocking. You need a weightlifter to cock that firing pin all afternoon, add a second kid and you will have blisters on your index finger and thumb from cocking it.
    But they fit them very well and both were well under $170 bucks at that time. The top pic was a new 1967 Annie that my dad bought and that weekend he run her through the band-saw so it would fit his 9 yr and 11 yr old sons. it was a bitch to hold up the first few years. maybe 5-7 years later he cut a new piece and restored it to original LOP.
    If I was to buy today, I would pic one that the bolt cocks it and hopefully has the option to shoot it as a single shot or a repeater.
    Like Nate posted above, I would look at a CZ youth at best and a Savage if the CZ is above your budget sir.

102.jpg
    101.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yup.

The manual-cock-bolt-action SEEMS like a good idea, except that it isn't really, and it teaches a couple poor lessons about how to use a bolt gun, at a time when they learn the most.

Repeater action + single shot mag block. Leave that mag block in place until they're 18, if you want, but at least it's a fully functioning action.

That being said, at some point, there can be real utility to knowing how to efficiently run a bolt and reload.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've never understood the purpose of the single-shot mag blocks. If you only want them loading one round at a time, only give them one round :dunno:. I assume since they're kids starting with a training rifle they're being supervised at all times, so the adult controls the ammo. Easy solution. That's what I did with my kids starting out, but they quickly got to the point where they had moved on to a full mag. It's also a bolt gun, not a semi-auto, so it's not like they're going to turn it into a bullet hose...it still takes intentionality to prep for the next shot.

My CZ Scout came with a single-shot adapter and no actual magazine. I thought that was the dumbest thing in the world, and it didn't help my mood that CZ mags were not in stock anywhere at the time, and I had to spend a couple of weeks looking around and ultimately spent way too much when I did find one. But once I got it, that single-shot adapter got tossed in a box somewhere and I couldn't even tell you where it is now.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I found a comparison pic of the Ruger and the CZ. The Ruger is still pretty much in that exact same config...the CZ has changed a a bit.

53008723584_19cf3929f7_b.jpg

Here's my 10 year-old running the CZ. They've all decided that they like the CZ better, and always want to take that one now when we go to the range. I like them both, but I have to admit the CZ is a step up in quality, and while accuracy is about equal if you use ammo that the Ruger likes (CCI Blazer seems to be it's favorite), the CZ shoots pretty much everything well. The Ruger 10/22 magazine design is way better than the CZ mags, though, and easier to source and cheaper.

The rear sight on the CZ is plastic crap, too. Mine was broken out of the box. It wasn't a huge deal as I was removing it to install a scope anyway, but it was a new gun and it shouldn't have been that way. I called CZ about it, and was told to fill out the form on the website for a replacement. I did that, and never got my replacement, nor did I receive any follow-up. I fixed the broken part with some JB Weld before I boxed it up, so I have it if I ever want to take the gun back to irons, but I was less than impressed with CZ customer service.

53011082067_74558ec957_b.jpg

53011082047_a0d79df5c2_b.jpg

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I've never understood the purpose of the single-shot mag blocks. If you only want them loading one round at a time, only give them one round :dunno:. I assume since they're kids starting with a training rifle they're being supervised at all times, so the adult controls the ammo. Easy solution. That's what I did with my kids starting out, but they quickly got to the point where they had moved on to a full mag. It's also a bolt gun, not a semi-auto, so it's not like they're going to turn it into a bullet hose...it still takes intentionality to prep for the next shot.

My CZ Scout came with a single-shot adapter and no actual magazine. I thought that was the dumbest thing in the world, and it didn't help my mood that CZ mags were not in stock anywhere at the time, and I had to spend a couple of weeks looking around and ultimately spent way too much when I did find one. But once I got it, that single-shot adapter got tossed in a box somewhere and I couldn't even tell you where it is now.

Use one [more], and you'll understand.

Mags are for mag loading. Blocks are for single loading. Both do what the other doesn't do--or do well.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Use one [more], and you'll understand.

Mags are for mag loading. Blocks are for single loading. Both do what the other doesn't do--or do well.
    I used it for two weeks. Probably 4-5 range sessions during that time as I was making a lot of other changes to the rifle. Both with and without the kids. It was a pain, and I'd never willingly go back to it. Yes, having the kids single-load the magazine is more time consuming than the single-shot block, but at least they're learning how the rifle is supposed to operate...and it didn't take long until they graduated to loading the mag full, anyway.

At one point I had an old Revelation single-shot .22 Rifle that belonged to my grandpa. It was a bolt action with a built in single-shot sled and no provision to accept a magazine. It also automatically engaged the safety every time you cycled the bolt. That gun was super annoying to use, and I ended up passing it on to my younger brother because he wanted a .22 rifle and giving it to him kept it in the family. I didn't want to sell it, but really had no practical use for it, either.

1776goat

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 8, 2023
    Nashville
    My son has been shooting .22 for around 2.5 years and .410 for almost a year. He started shooting the Henry when he was 3 years old. He loves it. I got him a Henry Mini Bolt for his first rifle. I wanted a rifle that was short (11.5 lop) and light(3.25 lbs) enough he could hold it up and aim on his own( with me right behind him) to start working on proper form and muscle memory off the bat. I wanted good visible sights like the fiber optic ones the Henry has, to make aiming and explaining how to aim, easier. I also wanted a single shot so he didnt have to manipulate a mag spring with his little hands but get the rewarding feeling of " doing it all by his own". The Henry I got him allows him to load the rifle , seat the bolt, and if the rifle's trigger saftey is not engaged as it should be, it is still is unable to fire due to the bolt saftey. Ive actually started training several of our friends children with this rifle and its been real handy, especially when you have several excited youngsters waiting for a turn. Ive got a cz 457 lux .22 mag and a built 10/22 that I will work him into this year with a bag and a bench. But both he and I love this accurate little shooter. 20240116_082147.jpg 20240116_082216.jpg

Last edited:

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    Started both my boys on Henry Youth Model .22s. My rational was, it is the same as bolt action, just different motion. No better time than taking a box of shells to the woods and having a shooting competition with your youngsters. Their first hunting rifle was a Harrington Richardson .44 Mag youth stock with scope.

1705423406807.png

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    For bolt actions, the CZ is going to be more accurate and more customizable down the line when they become more skilled. If you want something they can grow into and is really a quality shooter, I would go with CZ 457, Tikk1 T1x, or Bergara. If you just want a cheap plinker that will be replaced with something else later, the Ruger would be a better fit.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Bolt action, single shot, good iron sights and proper fit, whatever brand that is. Teaches proper technique, how to actually aim as opposed to look through a scope, patience and knowing you only have one shot to hit the intended target. That is what my brother and I learned on and both my boys learned on and it made all of us very good marksmen. Thanks to my dad for instilling that in my brother and I so we could pass it on. That training is probably what helped my oldest to shoot expert or hawkeye in the Army each time he qualified.

Dirty Steve

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I used it for two weeks. Probably 4-5 range sessions during that time as I was making a lot of other changes to the rifle. Both with and without the kids. It was a pain, and I'd never willingly go back to it. Yes, having the kids single-load the magazine is more time consuming than the single-shot block, but at least they're learning how the rifle is supposed to operate...and it didn't take long until they graduated to loading the mag full, anyway.

At one point I had an old Revelation single-shot .22 Rifle that belonged to my grandpa. It was a bolt action with a built in single-shot sled and no provision to accept a magazine. It also automatically engaged the safety every time you cycled the bolt. That gun was super annoying to use, and I ended up passing it on to my younger brother because he wanted a .22 rifle and giving it to him kept it in the family. I didn't want to sell it, but really had no practical use for it, either.

I guess I've been using mag and tray-fed bolt rifles for over 30 years--well into 6-digits worth of rimfire rounds--so that's probably relevant context to my opinion. I don't think there is a rimfire action type that I have NOT figured out how to feed manually, but some of them suck...and feeding singles off the top of a mag is retarded.

I'd rather have a solid bottom with no tray than have to maneuver around a follower and feed lips, particularly with a jam.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...what helped my oldest to shoot...hawkeye in the Army each time he qualified.

Dirty Steve

I really hate this. I know very well what it stands for, and can respect that, but the Army having named the new 40/40 qualification "hawkeye" is ridiculous, cheapens it, and makes it sound like a cartoon.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Another vote for the CZ457 scout. only downside is it's a little on the heavy side being a solid wood stock.

I don't know if it was just the learning curve or the overall series of motions but my daughter actually had more trouble cycling the action (specifically: getting the round to feed right, get the bolt fully forward, and close the action) feeding from the single feed sled. From the mag she makes it look easy, like it should be.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom