• Do you support REQUIRED background check on ALL firearms sales

• Total voters

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm tired of seeing so many people divided out there in the land of social media.

What say the 27,000+ INGO'ers?

Require background checks on ALL firearms sales personal and otherwise, or not???

EDIT: mods I placed this here specifically to get more notices. Many gun owners try to avoid political posting and I wanted as much feedback as possible.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know it might be kind of a pita but would actually make me feel more comfortable about making sure I'm selling to a proper person

What is a "proper person"? If they're not in jail, they should be allowed to own a firearm. It's a Right guaranteed by the Constitution. If they're too dangerous to own a firearm, why'd you let them out of prison? Either they've paid their debt or they haven't.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It's a great idea in theory. But, much like other gun control measures, it only affects those who abide by the law. In other words, guys like you and I will abide by the required background checks in order to sell our guns privately. We were never the danger though. If you and I were criminals, we would just ignore the law and do what we wanted. The only thing this could stop is someone who accidentally sells a gun to someone they didn't know was convicted felon. It still does nothing to prevent crime, unless they've come up with some crime prediction methods of which I'm not aware.

@Scutter,

The label of "felon" is the modern day scarlet letter. Being convicted of a felony today means that you serve your time and then carry a brand the rest of your life. It's just like Merle Haggard sang.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I truly don't believe that the "majority of gun owners" out there agree with this, yet I KEEP seeing it posted everywhere with no verification to the claim. I want to see it justified SOMEWHERE. In social media, it's easy for a "gun grabber" to say "I'm a gun owner and I want more checks".

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I would agree if the problem did not require me to fork out yet more funds to own a firearm. The minute you require all private transactions to undergo a background check you now open up the door to the money grabbers. The same folks that pulled products off their shelves to mark up prices because they can. At least I have a choice to buy or pass. It is their product. I do not need them to make money off my product I paid hard earned money for.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I believe most gunowners want more background checks. Anything for that warm fuzzy feeling Big Brother can give you.
    Culturally speaking, the gun owner community makes up the majority of those who understand American history. In turn, they understand the dangers of trusting the government too far and allowing them to have too much control. Hence, a large percentage could subscribe to varying degrees the "tin foil hat" community as well. Therefore, I cannot for the life of me fathom that a "majority" of gun owners support MORE government oversight/involvement.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Most of us ask for a LTCH and ID anyway. So the background check has already been done.

There's a difference between wanting background checks and not wanting to go to jail because you accidentally ran afoul of the law against selling a firearm to a known felon.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Most gun owners do background checks, but say I wanted to sell a gun to a close friend or a family member. Paying $20 for a background check is just stupid IMO.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I vote NO. Law abiding citizens are seldom involved with violence using firearms. I do feel the use of a firearm while committing a crime should have an automatic 10-year minimum prison sentence, with a 2nd. Conviction being Life.

Top Bottom