• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Emergency call boxes on Monon Trail are repaired | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

The broken emergency call boxes along the south end of the Monon Trail have been repaired, and all but one are fully up and running.
    Three of the six boxes between 13th and 34th streets along the trail had been vandalized, leaving two of them unable to connect to police dispatch. The third could be used for calls but was difficult for dispatchers to hear.

Indy Parks and Recreation officials discovered the emergency phones were broken after a mugging victim tried to use one to call for help on Aug. 23.
    All three were repaired Monday, but a transformer for one of them likely was damaged in Sunday's storm, said Rhett Cochran of General Alarm, the company hired by the city to repair the boxes for about $665.

Cochran said he hoped to have the final box, northernmost of those damaged, working by the end of this week or early next week.
    Last week, Indy Parks began a weekly testing program to make sure the boxes remain in working order. The tests will take place every Tuesday, said Paula Freund, a spokeswoman for Indy Parks.

The department also plans to schedule more park rangers to patrol the trail during the high-volume evening commute hours and on weekends, Freund said. "Public safety is the mayor's No. 1 priority," Freund said. "We're going to take the proper steps to make sure the trail is safe."

Call Star reporter Francesca Jarosz at (317) 444-6310.

Some nice commenting going on on the article's website... :yesway:

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm so tired of the "The mugger will take away your gun and use it to shoot you!" argument. It's tired, it's cliche, and IT NEVER HAPPENS.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    That was the best comment in my opinion too. I really don't understand why there are "no carry zones." Its basically like advertising good places to commit crimes to criminals. Criminals are not going to obey the law, and if they know its a "no carry zone" they will carry there and victimize the law-abiding citizens who are not given an equal chance to protect themselves.

Oh well, that's "the system" for you I guess.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    TVSTVS wrote:

The emergency phones are there so I won't have to waste my cell phone minutes calling for an ambulance after I shoot a mugger.
    9/16/2008 10:20:41 AM

Pure awesomeness. :D

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Even with IE, I have to keep refreshing the page to get the comments to show up. Sounds like a broken applet, if you ask me.

Maybe, but I didn't have any problems viewing them in FF 3.0.1 :) I just had to rearrange them so I could see the oldest first to read them in order. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's good to know people don't need to carry a quarter for the payphone to call the police after they are mugged, raped, or murdered. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!

fast_project

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    I live in Broad Ripple and walk my daughter up the Monon Trail almost everyday. Never had a problem but always carry something just in case. A lot of shady characters walking up and down those trails

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I live in Broad Ripple and walk my daughter up the Monon Trail almost everyday. Never had a problem but always carry something just in case. A lot of shady characters walking up and down those trails

That "something" you carry is nothing more than a plain ol' walking cane, right? RIGHT? wink wink, nudge nudge

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom