• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfrak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Livonia, MI
    Indy 1500 show and purchases by non-residents?

Hello, all.
    Just a couple questions from some people who are anxious to go to the March show.

I live in Michigan and am a member of MGO and the NRA.
    After reading about the Indy 1500 show here, I thought it may be fun to spend some time at the next show.

In the meantime, I have been checking the laws about a non resident of Indiana purchasing a firearm at the show.

This is what I think I know:
    1) No handgun purchases, period.
    2) Michigan law allows a Michigan citizen to buy a long gun from any other state.
    3) State law where the purchase is made must allow non-resident purchases.
    4) Any long gun purchase must go through an FFL.

I know that Ohio allows it, because I have taken a couple trips to Jaqua's in Findlay, OH where friends have purchased shotguns. But I have never done it in Indiana.

So, I guess my question is, does Indiana allow non-residents to purchase a long gun provided the transaction is made through an FFL?

Anything I missed?

I appreciate any feedback. Once I feel comfortable that I understand it, I will be glad to post some info about the show at the MGO forum.

Finally, I see the next show is in March. Will the Earth have thawed by then? :)

Thanks,
    Dan

Last edited:

dfrak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Livonia, MI
    Any one out there with some suggestions? I hope to put a pretty good size group of friends together.

Would I get more responses if I said I was from Illinois? :)

Thanks,
    Dan

Last edited:

indygamerguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Muncie
    I speak as primarily a question myself - but wouldn't the firearm being from an FFL equal your legal right to buy it, period?

I am referring to your initial / #1 thought on No handgun purchases

I won't say if it's legal or not because I don't know, but primarily I'm curious on the legality of purchasing a handgun from a different state myself. Buds' in Kentucky would likely have me buying multiple firearms, and I'd absolutely go next time I make a trip that way.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I didn't read the link, but as ATM said, handgun must be "received" from an FFL in your state. The best way to do that is to prepare ahead of time. Find a Local shop that you like (ask them about their transfer rate), make sure they will accept it for you, and bring their info to the show. Not all vendors will want to ship your purchase, but plenty will.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Go to your local LGS and see if they will receive a firearm on your behalf and what they would charge for the transfer. Then you can buy anything you want at the show as long as the dealer is willing to ship to your LGS.

Top Bottom