• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Alright, I don't want a Bash Mitch or Mitch for President thread. I'm trying to ask an honest question.

What is the purpose of the new id?

Is it for voting purposes? If so, we already have to show a photo id prior to voting, and if it's an issue of voter registration, then that's a seperate department from the bmv.

Is it to keep illegals from obtaining a drivers license? If they came here illegally, work here illegally, and potentially participate in other illegal activities, then why wouldn't they drive without a "secure id"?

Why do I have to submit my banking account, or other various financial account information, to the government in order to obtain driving priveledges? I realize it's not a "right", but is that the loophole they're using for this? It's now equivelent to obtaining a passport with all of their required documentation.

Fortunately, you don't have to give any financial info. You can show your birth certificate, social security card, voter registration, and LTCH and satisfy their requirements.

The reason for the new ID is ostensibly to verify the identity, lawful status, Indiana residency, and SSN of the person holding it. I do not think this "Secure ID" is a good thing nor do I think it is secure when they mail the da*n thing to you after the fact... What, no one can swipe a D.L. from a mailbox?

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Went thru a similar BMV fiasco with the wife. Her ID was not stolen but time for renewal and address change to the secure ID and had to have the above, Birth Certificate, Marriage License (even though her married name was the same on her Indiana Drivers License for the previous 35 years) Credit Card and Social Security Card and a letter addressed to her at the new address.

Well first they did not like our marriage license (wasn't stamped Certified) She couldn't find her Original Birth Certificate so when she went to get a copy, someone at Vital Records Misspelled her Middle Name (added an e) BMV made Us/Her jump thru hoops for over a month (4 trips) before she was issued a final secure drivers license.

Had to make Vital Records Fix Birth Record and Purchase a Certified Document from the County Clerk showing that we were legally married - Sucks, and No One is Secure because they Mail You the Drivers License :noway:

My License is up for renewal in 2012. At that time I'll go thru similar scrutiny for the Secure ID to prove who I am to the BMV even though I've had an Indiana Drivers License for almost 50 Years :xmad:

Top Bottom