• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Actually requiring at least one armed person, instead of giving the school the option? Talk about shoving it down the liberals throght. A little role reversal for a change might just set them off.

I think the employees in schools should be given the option, and offered training in the use of firearms in those situations. Just putting a gun in the hands of someone who may or may not be proficient in their use, and in that specific setting, could be setting themselves up for failure. Its a monumental first step, but there needs to be some thought put into the measure before implementation.

Reno_Morris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Actually requiring at least one armed person, instead of giving the school the option? Talk about shoving it down the liberals throght. A little role reversal for a change might just set them off.

I think the employees in schools should be given the option, and offered training in the use of firearms in those situations. Just putting a gun in the hands of someone who may or may not be proficient in their use, and in that specific setting, could be setting themselves up for failure. Its a monumental first step, but there needs to be some thought put into the measure before implementation.

I don't think the intent is to arm random teachers. It says it can be police officers. I would say there would be a position created for such a thing. They can't force the teachers to carry but they can force the school to hire security that does. But yes thought before hand is always a good thing.

fraige1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Crane
    I love the idea as well, when I read it earlier today. It makes me that much more excited to move back to Indiana and hopefully find a good job for when I get out and raise my family there. would make me feel more secure knowing that my little boy or girl would be protected like that.

Krainw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I too would love to see the "gun-free zones" eliminated. I am all for letting school personal carry if they choose, and I would be glad to have schools hire armed personal. I too would prefer not to have things mandated. Although it is nice that it would be something I actually agree with for a change. :)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Let me ask you this...how many of you agree that even 1 armed person at Newtown, or any of the other recent shootings, could have greatly altered the outcome?

If it were your son or daughter's school, would you want the decision left up to a local school board?

I'm asking honest questions here, so am open to constructive debate.

As far as the cost, I think Rep. Lucas is one of many in the IN house that is very concerned about the size and reach of government. My expectation is that ultimately this bill is designed to have very cost neutral options and the burden on the tax payers would be minimal.

As quoted from the Fox News Report linked above:

The Indiana bill would mandate that one officer in every public and charter school have a loaded weapon during school hours. The officers could be police officers or other non-educators but also could be teachers or principals.

Read more: Indiana advances first-in-nation proposal to require arming school officials | Fox News

I think that gives schools quite a bit of leeway. Many already have police officers on the premises during school hours, so that meets the requirement. Others may chose to have teachers or administrators armed if they so volunteer. Perhaps many schools follow the lead from States and school districts choosing to have school officials join reserve deputy programs through local law enforcement.

So...yes, government mandates are a slippery slope and we should scrutinize this bill just like any others. Most importantly we should tell our representatives what we think!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Let me ask you this...how many of you agree that even 1 armed person at Newtown, or any of the other recent shootings, could have greatly altered the outcome?

If it were your son or daughter's school, would you want the decision left up to a local school board?

I'm asking honest questions here, so am open to constructive debate.

As far as the cost, I think Rep. Lucas is one of many in the IN house that is very concerned about the size and reach of government. My expectation is that ultimately this bill is designed to have very cost neutral options and the burden on the tax payers would be minimal.

As quoted from the Fox News Report linked above:

I think that gives schools quite a bit of leeway. Many already have police officers on the premises during school hours, so that meets the requirement. Others may chose to have teachers or administrators armed if they so volunteer. Perhaps many schools follow the lead from States and school districts choosing to have school officials join reserve deputy programs through local law enforcement.

So...yes, government mandates are a slippery slope and we should scrutinize this bill just like any others. Most importantly we should tell our representatives what we think!

Im all for the mandatory armed personnel, but if they so choose to look to an administrator, or other person(s) instead of trained LEO, I would like to see some sort of standardized training involved, with a performance standard to meet. The only thing worse in an active shooter situation than NO armed persons aboard would be an armed person aboard that cant hit:poop:in an outhouse.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My son's high school has a small Sheriff's office inside the school. They have between 4 to 6 armed deputies at any given time patrolling the school. I personally love the idea of it. I wish the majority of the teachers were trained and armed too. If something were to happen at the school the deputies would have a chance to stop it sooner since they are already there.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    My son's high school has a small Sheriff's office inside the school. They have between 4 to 6 armed deputies at any given time patrolling the school. I personally love the idea of it. I wish the majority of the teachers were trained and armed too. If something were to happen at the school the deputies would have a chance to stop it sooner since they are already there.
    It seems most high schools have officers in them. Grade schools not so much.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Im all for the mandatory armed personnel, but if they so choose to look to an administrator, or other person(s) instead of trained LEO, I would like to see some sort of standardized training involved, with a performance standard to meet. The only thing worse in an active shooter situation than NO armed persons aboard would be an armed person aboard that cant hit:poop:in an outhouse.

Some of the conversations I've heard have included having teachers that wish to carry go through the Reserve Deputy program and participate in some training programs. That gives them some legal authority as well as some marksmanship and tactics training that should improve their ability to defend if called upon.

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    My high school had a police officer in it at all times I believe. And as far as training I think Front Sight is offering free training to any teacher that would like to carry at school for states that pass laws like this. There are schools in Texas where teachers and the principal carry conceiled while at work.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I disagree with mandating this too. It should be left to the local school boards who are answerable to the voters.

I'm against mandating it. But I feel it should be allowed and encouraged.

So, if your kids go to school in a district with a very anti gun school board, and they decide that schools should be gun-free zones, do you feel like your children are adequately protected at school?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom